Nebraska has 16,000 more fans at spring game than rest of North combined

I enjoyed the tidbit about the tight ends more, personally. I think I'll post here what I posted there for discussion purposes.

Griffin says that Dreu Young really stepped up his run blocking this year, but what about the other guys? Traditionally, our tight ends were just like an extra offensive tackle in order to help our running game. Now, they have become a huge offensive threat in many offenses (perfect example would be Oklahoma from last season). Coaches said we were unable to use our power running formations for much of the year because our tight ends weren't good blockers. I would really like to see run blocking be a huge focus this year, considering it appears that their pass catching ability is great. We need all the help we can get for Lee to have a good year, and they need to be able to block just as well as they can catch.

Not surprising. What is surprising is that Nebraska ever loses a recruiting battle with any of these schools. We have more fan support and tradition than the whole north put together, and half the south.

i would imagine that winning, head to head, coaches, facilities, where they grew up have a lot more to do with it than fans & history

I have never doubted what NU had done in the past, but you are talking about 17 & 18 year-old kids who probably have no clue what happened 10, 20, 30 & 40 years ago. At best their memories go back 5-7 years. NU has done nothing more than anyone else during that time.

There is a whole generation outside of Nebraska that know nothing of what NU used to be. All the proof you need for that is to read the interviews they do with these kids. "I dont really know much about nebraska. I am going to go up there and check it out." I cant begin to even count the number of times I have seen that quote or something simular.

P.S. What NU should do in MHO, is use the spring game for charity like other schools do. They have enough $ for the program. Instead of pocketing that money, they could take canned goods like MU does, or clothing donations. Just think about the good will that would create. Not only from the state of NU which already loves the university, but more so to the rest of the country. just a thought....

Not surprising. What is surprising is that Nebraska ever loses a recruiting battle with any of these schools. We have more fan support and tradition than the whole north put together, and half the south.

i would imagine that winning, head to head, coaches, facilities, where they grew up have a lot more to do with it than fans & history

I have never doubted what NU had done in the past, but you are talking about 17 & 18 year-old kids who probably have no clue what happened 10, 20, 30 & 40 years ago. At best their memories go back 5-7 years. NU has done nothing more than anyone else during that time.

There is a whole generation outside of Nebraska that know nothing of what NU used to be. All the proof you need for that is to read the interviews they do with these kids. "I dont really know much about nebraska. I am going to go up there and check it out." I cant begin to even count the number of times I have seen that quote or something simular.

P.S. What NU should do in MHO, is use the spring game for charity like other schools do. They have enough $ for the program. Instead of pocketing that money, they could take canned goods like MU does, or clothing donations. Just think about the good will that would create. Not only from the state of NU which already loves the university, but more so to the rest of the country. just a thought....

The charity idea is a decent one. Why accept canned goods and clothing though when we could still charge $10 and give the money to charities? You could buy a lot of canned goods and used clothing for $776,000.

That said, if Missouri was bringing in .75 million from their spring game they might be tempted to invest it in their program like UNL does. That would be similar to me suggesting that Missouri should give their bowl revenue to charity.

With the attention that the attendence has gotten (and it is impressive) I could only imagine the stories from a $775,000 donation to local and state charities. Husker love would run wild...LOL

Plus I think it would be pretty darn cool. :)

With the attention that the attendence has gotten (and it is impressive) I could only imagine the stories from a $775,000 donation to local and state charities. Husker love would run wild...LOL

Plus I think it would be pretty darn cool. :)

I agree that it would be pretty darn cool if they did.

Well in theory a charity donation sounds good but it costs a lot run the atheletic dept. Nebraska only made around $100,000.00 profit on approx 70 million in revenue after paying all the bills last year so every penny counts.

They do alot of charity stuff on actual gamedays at the stadium. Passing the buckets for certain charities, having buckets outside the gates, etc. As many people as we get around the stadium for the spring game, there are alot more on actual gamedays which increases likelihood of making more for the charities. So instead of just doing ONE charity thing a year at a spring game, we do MANY throughout the regular season, as well as things in the offseason.