Question about our Non-Conference Schedule for 2009...

Do you like it?

Should it be tougher?

Should it be easier?

I was reading the posts by some of the viewers on Journal Star and I agree with one in particular. I believe we would be best served to always have 2-BCS opponents each year, one in a home-and-home arrangement, like Va Tech this year, and the other a neutral site game against a Big Ten opponent on an NFL field. The other two slots we can stuff with cupcakes at home. It would definately take away criticism about us filling our schedule with mostly cupcakes from weaker conferences.

Do you like it?

Should it be tougher?

Should it be easier?

I was reading the posts by some of the viewers on Journal Star and I agree with one in particular. I believe we would be best served to always have 2-BCS opponents each year, one in a home-and-home arrangement, like Va Tech this year, and the other a neutral site game against a Big Ten opponent on an NFL field. The other two slots we can stuff with cupcakes at home. It would definately take away criticism about us filling our schedule with mostly cupcakes from weaker conferences.

Honestly I always thought that Nebraska did a good job at balancing their non conference schedule..Pittsburg, Notre Dame, Va Tech, USC, Penn State.....

A tough team mixed in with powder puffs to really test our team before jumping into Big 12 Play.

I would have preferred to see a lower tier BCS team in place of one or two of the sun belt teams. VT is a good tough test, and could be ranked in the top 10 when we play them. I think we need to play more media market teams so we get the better TV slots, that helps with recruiting a lot as we have to recruit nationally.

Do you like it?

Should it be tougher?

Should it be easier?

Honestly I always thought that Nebraska did a good job at balancing their non conference schedule..Pittsburg, Notre Dame, Va Tech, USC, Penn State.....

A tough team mixed in with powder puffs to really test our team before jumping into Big 12 Play.

:yeah

And as for non-conference games in neutral stadiums go, I am not a fan. I prefer the home-and-home series. I think it provides more excitement for both fan bases.

1.) If you are the home team, obviously, your team should have an edge.

2.) If you are the road team, you get to see how the team will respond to a hostile environment in a big game.

3.) Odds are the game will be televised during prime time, which will provide national exposure to Nebraska tradition and the city of Lincoln. Very beneficial for recruiting.

4.) Kind of ties in with #3..Business in Lincoln. I know if I were a business owner in downtown Lincoln, and they moved what should be a Nebraska home game against USC, Virginia Tech, Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame (although they suck, they still have a huge fan base) to a neutral location, I would be PISSED!

I wish all the non-conference games were against BCS opponents. That way when we win them all there, would be no doubt who the real champion was. Also, competition breeds success, if you play against the best competition, you will become better.

This isn't to say that any given Sat. a non-BCS team couldn't beat a BCS team. This has obviously happened, but if you look at the total strength of the BCS teams, overall they provide much better competition.

I like the schedule but it would be nice not to play 3 teams from the Sun Belt.

Being A SunBelt team fan myself (Florida Atlantic) Im curious as well why Nebraska scheduled 3 of us?

If you HAD to pick one SunBelt team this year which one would you WANT to play?

I like the schedule but it would be nice not to play 3 teams from the Sun Belt.

Being A SunBelt team fan myself (Florida Atlantic) Im curious as well why Nebraska scheduled 3 of us?

If you HAD to pick one SunBelt team this year which one would you WANT to play?

Well our former AD put these teams on the schedule. It seems that he and the former coach liked having one markee matchup and 2-3 tune ups so to speak. That being said, I think at least 2 of the Sun Belt teams are good early games for NU this year. Ark St. and FAU are good solid teams for that tier of football and NU will have to play well to beat them, we saw that with San Jose St. last year. I still think NU rolls by 21+ points in each game, but NU can't just be flat and expect to win. Forcing the team to play hard and ensure they are paying attention to details will pay big dividends early in conference play. As far as one team to play, I would say Troy (edited since I had the wrong team) since they are the conference favorite and I prefer the tougher games.

I'm for non-conference schedule that brings in the most money - The lower tier team the less you have to pay them to come to Lincoln.

...and the less likely the game will be on TV. The good games with prime-time slots always pay more. By the way, how is the TV revenue sharing split up in the Big 12?

I'm for non-conference schedule that brings in the most money - The lower tier team the less you have to pay them to come to Lincoln.

...and the less likely the game will be on TV. The good games with prime-time slots always pay more. By the way, how is the TV revenue sharing split up in the Big 12?

8-9 games are on tv anyway and the first couple will probally be on PPV which Nebraska recieves around $300,000 per game.