This years "breakout" defensive player?

Wow not one person showing some love to Blake Lawrence! My first pick would have been "The Prince of the Backfield", credit me for this nickname and by all means start spreading it, but since noone has picked Blake Im gonna go with him. The kid showed a lot of promise at the end of last season, especially at the Gator Bowl with 4 tackles and that very helpfull INT, and since the losses of Glenn and Wortman he will see great time probably at the Sam spot.

On O, despite the DUI fiasco, Im going with Niles Paul to be our break out player considering he had a great summer (until the DUI) and definitely has the talent level. In fact we may be able to credit some of Tyler Gabberts intrest in UNL from his great performance in the summer, as Gabbert described him as "amazing" and claimed "he can catch anything". I didn't choose helu because he's already starting to get national attention and his "breakout" is already expected.

Wow not one person showing some love to Blake Lawrence! My first pick would have been "The Prince of the Backfield", credit me for this nickname and by all means start spreading it, but since noone has picked Blake Im gonna go with him. The kid showed a lot of promise at the end of last season, especially at the Gator Bowl with 4 tackles and that very helpfull INT, and since the losses of Glenn and Wortman he will see great time probably at the Sam spot.

On O, despite the DUI fiasco, Im going with Niles Paul to be our break out player considering he had a great summer (until the DUI) and definitely has the talent level. In fact we may be able to credit some of Tyler Gabberts intrest in UNL from his great performance in the summer, as Gabbert described him as "amazing" and claimed "he can catch anything". I didn't choose helu because he's already starting to get national attention and his "breakout" is already expected.

I'm with zoogie, we don't even know if Lawrence will ever play football again.

Also I really doubt Paul is at all the reason Gabbert is interested in NU. Paul will be a senior when Gabbert gets here, and I would bet a ton of money that Gabbert would redshirt as a freshman, meaning Gabbert will never play with Paul. The gabbert family has a great relationship with Coach Watson, which is the main reason he is a NU lean right now.

Ooh, haven't heard about Gabbert and Paul. That's interesting. Hopefully Blake will continue playing football. Haven't heard much about him since the whole "3rd concussion in a year" thing, rumors were that he was done...:o

It is not looking very likely that Blake will be playing again. Concussions aren't something to mess around with and Blake has bright future outside of football that shouldn't risked.

As far as defensive breakout player goes I'm going with Fisher. He's basically the LB that always gonna be on the field no matter the defensive scheme we are in. 6' 6" LBs don't come around to often and this year will only be taste of what he's gonna offer down the line.

Also from a post above its not 100% that Chris Williams will redshirt next year. The odds are still pointing that direction but he's recovering nicely and an impressive fall camp could change everything. Eric Martin should see some PT next year though.

The future at LB is looking very promising for years to come.

Ooh, haven't heard about Gabbert and Paul. That's interesting. Hopefully Blake will continue playing football. Haven't heard much about him since the whole "3rd concussion in a year" thing, rumors were that he was done...:o

It is not looking very likely that Blake will be playing again. Concussions aren't something to mess around with and Blake has bright future outside of football that shouldn't risked.

As far as defensive breakout player goes I'm going with Fisher. He's basically the LB that always gonna be on the field no matter the defensive scheme we are in. 6' 6" LBs don't come around to often and this year will only be taste of what he's gonna offer down the line.

Also from a post above its not 100% that Chris Williams will redshirt next year. The odds are still pointing that direction but he's recovering nicely and an impressive fall camp could change everything. Eric Martin should see some PT next year though.

The future at LB is looking very promising for years to come.

Lawrence is fine for now and is definitely going to play but one more concussion and he is done with football forever.

im going to pick hagg, i think he'll be a starter at one of the safety positions before its said and done this year, maybe at asante's position

I don't see anybody taking Asante's spot unless he's hurt, Asante is a quality safety. I think it will be Pierre Allen or whomever the other safety will be

I have heard this many times, but I haven't seen it yet.

I agree with huzkerbob on this one. I haven't seen anything from Asante that would show me quality. If anything it's been the opposite: blown coverage, blown assignments, missed tackles, looks like the re-emerging of O'Hanlon!! Yikes!!

I hope Hagg has improved his tackling too, he missed a few crucial ones last year, including one in the Tech game that might have been the difference. Anyways, I'm sure Bo has them working hard and hopefully we'll see an improvement from both.

My pick to standout is Barry Turner. I think Suh is going to require and bring a lot of attention/double teams inside and this will allow Turner and Allen to wreak havoc from the outside. I think Turner is better then Allen, which is why I think he'll have a breakout season. If he doesn't, it will be because Suh didn't give him a chance by already making the play.

I'd also put money on Dennard making a dent for playing time in the secondary. Last year he proved he had the ability he just needs to prove he understands the schemes to the coaches. With a year under his belt, he should be ready!!

I'm going to pick a LB because that's where we're gonna have a whole new Linebackers to work with. I'm going to go with Will Compton or Matthew May.

I'm surprised nobody is really talking about Matthew May.

Agreed. Matthew May was the first player I thought of after reading the thread title.