The best walk-on program?

Would it be better to have a fewer number of highly talented, invited walk-ons—or open it up and have a huge walk-on program, letting pretty much anyone give it a try?

Which serves NU better?

Would it be better to have a fewer number of highly talented, invited walk-ons—or open it up and have a huge walk-on program, letting pretty much anyone give it a try?

Which serves NU better?

In the 70' and 80's unlimited worked because they had freshman teams and had dedicated staff for them. Today it's too tough with the scholly limit. Pellini I think is having around 30-40 WO's per year which is manageable. I think they redshirted 65 kids the last 2 years.

Which serves NU better?

"They" tried the first version between 2004-2007. How did you feel about that?

Which serves NU better?

I think it’s unfortunate that there is an “us” and a “they” within Husker nation. I just wanted to start an off-season thread to discuss the topic.

I see advantages/disadvantages in both approaches.

The fewer, invited walk-ons approach: More easily managed by the staff. Takes fewer resources, maybe saves a few buck$. But excludes some late developing players who may eventually turn into solid D1 football players.

The open-it-up, huge program approach: Occasionally uncovers a hidden gem. Adds depth to team—an advantage almost like having a few extra scholarships. And it bolsters support for the Huskers when you have walk-ons from small towns across Nebraska.

I think the walk-on program under Bo is somewhere in between the two extremes. In the past it has been one of the best walk-on programs in the nation. And I think it will continue to be so.

Which serves NU better?

I think it’s unfortunate that there is an “us” and a “they” within Husker nation. I just wanted to start an off-season thread to discuss the topic.

I see advantages/disadvantages in both approaches.

The fewer, invited walk-ons approach: More easily managed by the staff. Takes fewer resources, maybe saves a few buck$. But excludes some late developing players who may eventually turn into solid D1 football players.

The open-it-up, huge program approach: Occasionally uncovers a hidden gem. Adds depth to team—an advantage almost like having a few extra scholarships. And it bolsters support for the Huskers when you have walk-ons from small towns across Nebraska.

I think the walk-on program under Bo is somewhere in between the two extremes. In the past it has been one of the best walk-on programs in the nation. And I think it will continue to be so.

I like the huge program approach - support, finding a good player, doesn't really cost a lot more, and a staff that doesn't have its head up their collective --- can figure out how to manage practice.

I used "they" because I didn't feel like writing coach-whose-name-that-shall-not-be-typed, and not referring to any section of Husker Nation er, Nebraska fans. I agree with Blackshirtsguru, we are not the Raiders or Schnellenburgerking's OU Sooners.

Which serves NU better?

Believe it or not, NU does allow almost everyone to try and walk-on. While I was in college at Dear Old Nebraska U I knew a guy who tried to walk-on and didn't make it. So believe me when I say that for a kid to walk-on and make the team he has to have the speed, agility, quickness, strength, etc to make the team. It's not like the coaches will accept anyone who wants to walk-on-you have to meet or exceed some pretty high standards.

Which serves NU better?

Believe it or not, NU does allow almost everyone to try and walk-on. While I was in college at Dear Old Nebraska U I knew a guy who tried to walk-on and didn't make it. So believe me when I say that for a kid to walk-on and make the team he has to have the speed, agility, quickness, strength, etc to make the team. It's not like the coaches will accept anyone who wants to walk-on-you have to meet or exceed some pretty high standards.

Absolutely. NU *should* allow everyone to at least try out—even if they decided to run a closed system with relatively few walk-ons. I knew a guy from my days at UNL, a small town player (div C1) who walked on. He didn’t suit up on gamedays and never really had any hope of seeing the field, but still was a part of the team. He practiced, lifted weights, ate at the training table and had access to tutors. So I imagine the costs of him being a walk-on must have added up to something.

I’m sure that some small percentage of guys like my buddy would eventually pan out, make the depth chart, and some might even get some meaningful PT. But the odds are long—1 in 10 maybe ? 1 in 40? Who knows?

Is there enough benefit to NU to justify having this type of marginal player walk-on? How selective should the Husker walk-on program be?

If the coaching staff feels you can add adequate depth to pratice squads, etc., then you'll be on the team. It's pretty much that simple.

They aren't going to take every kid that walks onto the field, that doesn't make any sense. I think we'll continue to see about 30 to 40 walkons a year, maybe even less, which sounds about right to me.

A Selective walk-on program is stupid, and defeats the whole purpose of system, which is to find completely unknown kids who otherwise would have NO shot of playing D-1 FB. Prefered walk-ons are just a way for coaches to either get around scholly number limitations, or to get a kid in school that you don't have a lot of faith in, just in case he's a better player than the coaches realized. Or even to keep them from the smaller schools in your conference.

Besides, to me the most important aspect of the W.O. system is to find the players that no one saw coming. Because the fact is, NO coach is as good a talent evaluator as they think they are, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for walk-ons in the first place!

A Selective walk-on program is stupid, and defeats the whole purpose of system, which is to find completely unknown kids who otherwise would have NO shot of playing D-1 FB. Prefered walk-ons are just a way for coaches to either get around scholly number limitations, or to get a kid in school that you don't have a lot of faith in, just in case he's a better player than the coaches realized. Or even to keep them from the smaller schools in your conference.

Besides, to me the most important aspect of the W.O. system is to find the players that no one saw coming. Because the fact is, NO coach is as good a talent evaluator as they think they are, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for walk-ons in the first place!

Well contrary to what you think Nebraska does have a selective walk-on system which isn't "stupid" or self-defeating. Walk-ons are accepted only if they meet previously established parameters of strength, agility, quickness, etc. Under your scenario I could walk-on and make the team and that's just patently ridiculous.