Do we take two QBs in 2010 class?

His decision came just as Sean Robinson (a 6-5, 205-pound quarterback from Rochester, Ill.) was slated to arrive in Lincoln to check out the campus. The prevailing thought is NU would not take two quarterbacks in this class, especially after signing the much ballyhooed Cody Green in the last recruiting cycle.

article

Take two. You never know when one will be lost to injuries. Or have a hissy fit and transfer to Yale.

I'm guessing this attitude is what the media is getting from the coaches, so I'd say it doesn't look good. I'm with you though. As important of a position is QB, I would think too much quality depth wouldn't be a bad thing (see USC). I just hope they're not promising that they wont sign another QB. Its a poor way to build a class. Although, I'll admit that if making that promise, and sticking with it, is able to land a top 2 ranked at the position, then I'll begrudgingly accept it.

I'm guessing this attitude is what the media is getting from the coaches, so I'd say it doesn't look good. I'm with you though. As important of a position is QB, I would think too much quality depth wouldn't be a bad thing (see USC). I just hope they're not promising that they wont sign another QB. Its a poor way to build a class. Although, I'll admit that if making that promise, and sticking with it, is able to land a top 2 ranked at the position, then I'll begrudgingly accept it.

QB is important but it's no more important than any other position. And, given the relatively small size the '10 class will end up being, I think it would be, purely from a scholarship numbers perspective, not a wise decision to take two QB's this year. Although if Sean Robinson wants to commit I don't think the coaches would turn him away.

:dunno

Gabbert says coaches have been telling him he's their 1 guy.

And then we have a Robinson quote in his thread saying he's unfazed by Gabbert's commitment and it doesn't affect our standing with him.

It still seems like coaches won't accept another QB commitment however, but we shall see.

Gabbert says coaches have been telling him he's their 1 guy.

And then we have a Robinson quote in his thread saying he's unfazed by Gabbert's commitment and it doesn't affect our standing with him.

It still seems like coaches won't accept another QB commitment however, but we shall see.

I would think that they MAY take Robinson as an athlete, which he clearly his. He could play a number of positions with his athleticism, most likely receiver/tight end if they did not choose to put him at QB. If Robinson wants to commit, and is ok with coming in as an athlete, I say take him. He brings quite a bit of versatility wherever they would put him.

QB is important but it's no more important than any other position. And, given the relatively small size the '10 class will end up being, I think it would be, purely from a scholarship numbers perspective, not a wise decision to take two QB's this year.
Don't know that I agree with you feminine football guru.

A team generally needs two things to make a run: 1) a monster defense, and 2) an experienced QB. In this respect QB is more important than some spots. We DON’t want to short-sheet ourselves with depth at QB.

Also, we need depth because QB is one position that it is fairly difficult to cover by moving guys around from another spot on the field. Okay—I know, I know—Latravis Washington, blah, blah. Latravis is an exception. He could probably play one-third of the positions on our team, and do a damn fine job. In general moving a non-QB player into the QB slot is generally very ify proposition.

Two. We need two QBs in this class. If the right guy comes along, that is.

Wheras I would generally want 2 or more QBs, I gotta agree with Jen, the numbers are way too tight this year and Bo and Co. are gonna want them some blackshirts. I wouldn't be suprised ether way. Plus, I'm beginning to think the guys want Martinez as a QB afterall.

Wheras I would generally want 2 or more QBs, I gotta agree with Jen, the numbers are way too tight this year and Bo and Co. are gonna want them some blackshirts. I wouldn't be suprised ether way. Plus, I'm beginning to think the guys want Martinez as a QB afterall.

I thought we were thin last year at QB, depth wise. And we lost three scolie QBs from last year’s roster—Ganz, Davis and Witt. We should pick up one more just to stay even. (we already gained two—Latravis plus Gabbert).

I thought we were thin last year at QB, depth wise. And we lost three scolie QBs from last year’s roster—Ganz, Davis and Witt. We should pick up one more just to stay even. (we already gained two—Latravis plus Gabbert).

Like Tim and I have said, we're certainly not opposed to the Huskers taking two QB's in this class if that does in fact occur.

We just think that given the scholarship numbers crunch this year taking a 2nd QB wouldn't be very wise given there is a greater need at several other spots, namely OL, DT and WR.

Nuance,

Well there is, as Tim previously mentioned, Taylor Martinez who will arrive in the fall. I'm pretty sure he was recruited as a DB but I also think Bo and Wats will give him a shot at QB. In addition there are the walk-ons at QB to consider, namely Jim Ebke and Ron Kellog. Now I've heard that Ebke has moved to safety although I'm not real sure if that's true.

My point through all of this is, in my opinion, we'll be fine at QB. Bo and Wats will find somebody to fill in the #2, 3 and 4 QB spots on the depth chart.

And as a completely separate question which is open to anyone to try and answer: Just how many scholarships does Nebraska have to give in the '10 class?

I've heard the '10 class could be as small as 15 and I've heard it'll be somewhere around 20. There is quite a substantial difference between having 15 scholarships to give versus 20.

:ahhhhhhhh

Robinson has stated his offer is still open. I thought they'd be done with Gabbert since Watson is a one-qb-per-class guys, slots are limited this class, and Gabbert talked about holding onto his spot. But Robinson is athletic as hell with great height, I'd guess his offer now is like Taylor Martinez's, athlete that will get his shot at qb.

from LJS:

Would NU take 2 QBs?

Some interesting comments from Sean Robinson, the quarterback out of Rochester, Ill., who visited the campus in the days that followed the commitment of Tyler Gabbert.

Robinson told Scout.com that despite Gabbert's commitment, NU is "definitely still in the picture, that commitment doesn't change anything at all. Competition doesn't bother me at all."

It might seem unusual for a program to take two quarterbacks in one recruiting class, especially after picking up Cody Green in the last recruiting cycle. But if you really like two guys, who knows.

Asked by Scout if Husker coaches talked to him about being open to playing another position, Robinson said: "They haven't really mentioned it to me, but I think they know I would play another position. I'm really a QB at heart, but I'd be open to playing another position. I'll call them back in a few weeks and see then."

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Robinson is rated a three-star player by Rivals.com and Scout. But analysts seem to think he has a high ceiling for development. Definitely an interesting prospect with a lot of parties interested in his abilities.