Is 2009 our "magical" year???

Bob Stoops at Oklahoma

1st year - 1999: 7-5

2nd year - 2000: 13-0 (won National Championship)

Nick Saban at Alabama

1st year - 2007: 7-6

2nd year - 2008: 12-2 (remember they were 12-0 and ranked #1, nearly beating Florida in the SEC Championship)

Pete Carroll at USC

1st year - 2001: 6-6

2nd year - 2002: 11-2 (won Orange Bowl)

Urban Meyer at Florida

1st year - 2005: 9-3

2nd year - 2006: 13-1 (won National Championship)

Jim Tressel at Ohio State

1st year - 2001: 7-5

2nd year - 2002: 14-0 (won National Championship)

What do all these coaches have in common? They are arguably the top 5 coaches in the game. They all took over programs with great traditions that were down. They all had a mildly successful first year. They all had a magical second year.

Teams surprise everybody when they have a 2nd year head coach that they believe in. They simply play above their ability and make things happen. They play with more intensity, because they want it more than the other team.

If we believe that Bo Pelini can be one of the top coaches in the game, then why can't we make a run at the title THIS YEAR? Every one of those teams were considered to be a year or two away, but they weren't. They surprised everybody. Maybe 2009 is OUR year!

GO BIG RED!

Wishful thnking but I think 2010 is the year - NU doesn't lose a lot of guys this year to graduation.

I'm with you all the way on this one. I expect huge things from this team NEXT year - that's the first time I have been able to say that in, well, over a decade!

2010 features a weakass non-conference schedule and then get MU/CU/KU all at home next year. Our south rotation features A&M which I'm not sold on yet, and OKLite/TX, both of which will be losing their biggest play makers between 2009/2010 where we will retain the majority of anyone who steps into those roles this year. Certainly each team will have replacement studs, but it's hard to go full boar with the new guys right out of the gate.

And, damnit, we are DUE to beat Texas.

I think they do about average this year, but I still expect to see continued effort and execution improvements this year and the lack of blowout losses. I'm sure a lot of people won't be pleased with another 8-win regular season, but be patient. If we have only 8 wins next year, then I'll be extremely disappointed in the direction Bo is taking them. (Although, still way better than the alternative!)

If I am wrong about this year and we get more, trust me, I'll be elated and more than happy to admit being wrong.

i EXPECT 10 wins in 2009 however i PROMISE 11-12 wins in 2010!

2009 Losses

OU-likely loss no matter how you slice it 10% chance to win

VT-Possible win but just not likely in Blacksburg 40% chance to win

2010 Loss

UT-Could really see this one going either way, have heard chilies (sp?) hasnt been great in practce and should be a close game 50% chance of winning

i could live with 9 wins in 2009 but i will not be happy with less than 11 wins in 2010...

p.s. im a harda*s!

i EXPECT 10 wins in 2009 however i PROMISE 11-12 wins in 2010!

2009 Losses

OU-likely loss no matter how you slice it 10% chance to win

VT-Possible win but just not likely in Blacksburg 40% chance to win

2010 Loss

UT-Could really see this one going either way, have heard chilies (sp?) hasnt been great in practce and should be a close game 50% chance of winning

i could live with 9 wins in 2009 but i will not be happy with less than 11 wins in 2010...

p.s. im a harda*s!

Everyone so far has missed the point of my post. Of course things look great for 2010! Everybody thinks that..

I'm saying watch out for us THIS YEAR. All of those coaches I listed amazed people during their second years, when everybody said that they were a year away. We are in the exact same situation!!

Everyone so far has missed the point of my post. Of course things look great for 2010! Everybody thinks that..

I'm saying watch out for us THIS YEAR. All of those coaches I listed amazed people during their second years, when everybody said that they were a year away. We are in the exact same situation!!

close to the same situation....

we have a new qb and i believe only one of those teams did. also, its not like their top 15 recruiting classes ever stopped coming....ours did...

I think 10 wins is a very good possibility this year. Not sure about BCS, but not ruling it out. I think a Big XII North division win and a shot at a BCS berth. I think a Cotton Bowl or Holiday Bowl berth would be great and a sign of progress for Bo. If you consider that a special year then yes, if not no.