Last Husker All-Big 12 QB?

Griffin will be a sophomore this year. He replaced Miami reject Kirby Freeman last year as a true freshman. The kid will only get better as a football player since he fully concentrating on it and not running the hurdles this year.

Why am I so off in my two cents. Aren't we all hoping Cody is what we thought he can be when we were recruiting him. Don't we want great competition at every position? What if Cody is the No. 2 guy this year, gets premium reps in practice and games and unseats Lee in 2010 because he lives up to his "hype" and potential? It can happen. Isn't Cody a bigger, stronger Lee with just a weirder throwing motion? I am sure Cody or any of the other QBs are just going to be satisfied as back ups and are penciling in Lee in 2010 as well.

Griffin will be a sophomore this year. He replaced Miami reject Kirby Freeman last year as a true freshman. The kid will only get better as a football player since he fully concentrating on it and not running the hurdles this year.

Why am I so off in my two cents. Aren't we all hoping Cody is what we thought he can be when we were recruiting him. Don't we want great competition at every position? What if Cody is the No. 2 guy this year, gets premium reps in practice and games and unseats Lee in 2010 because he lives up to his "hype" and potential? It can happen. Isn't Cody a bigger, stronger Lee with just a weirder throwing motion? I am sure Cody or any of the other QBs are just going to be satisfied as back ups and are penciling in Lee in 2010 as well.

Hey I think Cody Green will be a fantastic QB, maybe even an elite QB, but I think way too many people are underselling Lee. Lee was a 4 Star Recruit also just like Green. Lee was rated the #1 JUCO QB and #10 JUCO player overall when he was getting recruited in 2007. Lee comes out of CA, a big time HS talent hot bed just like Texas. Lee lead his JUCO team to the National Title Game. Lee is 6' 2" and 210lbs, Green is 6' 4" and 215lbs per the Huskers official roster. Castille and others have commented on how fast Lee is, supposedly as fast as several of the IB's. Nothing but praise right now coming out of the Spring from the Coaches and players, yes I take it with a grain of salt but ususally you can read between the lines if there is an issue.

If Lee is the starter this year and establishes himself to be as good as Ganz was last year, I think Lee as a Senior could be an elite QB. Wouldn't that be best for the program overall? Let Green learn and have his best shot to win the starting job as a RSo. in 2011. He would be a RFr. in 2010 and could push Lee and win the back up job, the coaches could ensure that he gets a decent amount of game reps. Lee would be the seasoned vet who would already have trips to VA Tech and games against OU, TT, at KU, at MO under his belt. If Lee is as good as advertised and everyone keeps talking about the team being special in 2010, I would rather have the Senior QB leading them. I am not saying Green can't win the job in 2010, but I don't think Lee will let him and an elite QB getting legitimately pushed for the starting job is a good thing for NU overall.

Let's not forget the "sophomore slump" that so many players go through. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Griffen take a step back in his progress. There are tons of examples of this throughout the history of pretty much every sport.

He could continue to progress and be a phenom like we all think he's capable, but there's no guarantee. One of the things he's got against him is his supporting cast is relatively weak compared to other teams. Defenses will be keying on him more and more. We'll see how he does with that.

I don't understand why everyone is overlooking Lee like he's some filler until the "real" QB is ready.

I will tell you this now: Lee is no slouch. It may take him a few games to really get into the grove of things, but he will surprise many in 2009.

:yeah that makes 2 of us Michael. I seem to recall many posters on here calling for Lee to start over Ganz last year before the season started. Where is the hype now?

I don't understand why everyone is overlooking Lee like he's some filler until the "real" QB is ready.

I will tell you this now: Lee is no slouch. It may take him a few games to really get into the grove of things, but he will surprise many in 2009.

:yeah that makes 2 of us Michael. I seem to recall many posters on here calling for Lee to start over Ganz last year before the season started. Where is the hype now?

Bradford's sophomore slump was 46 TD passes and a Heisman Trophy and another Big 12 title!!!

Never said Lee was a slouch. I think he will do well this year. The whole thing that started this debate was I said that Green would be an All Big XII qb before Lee. How? Lee this year has Bradford and McCoy so it ain't happening. His senior year I said I thought it would be Griffin. With the eligibility gone and no Big XII QB award to show for it, Green has a better chance IMHO.

Tebow's sophomore slump was terrible as well, I think they gave him some trophy for his participation at least. Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush are fellow "elite" players who slumped something awful fierce. :sarcasm

Bradford's sophomore slump was 46 TD passes and a Heisman Trophy and another Big 12 title!!!

Never said Lee was a slouch. I think he will do well this year. The whole thing that started this debate was I said that Green would be an All Big XII qb before Lee. How? Lee this year has Bradford and McCoy so it ain't happening. His senior year I said I thought it would be Griffin. With the eligibility gone and no Big XII QB award to show for it, Green has a better chance IMHO.

Tebow's sophomore slump was terrible as well, I think they gave him some trophy for his participation at least. Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush are fellow "elite" players who slumped something awful fierce. :sarcasm

The replies to Michael's and my post don't make sense as neither of us mentioned a Sophomore slump, that was knapplc referring to Griffin. We were simply arguing that Lee seems to be really overlooked and in fact could be a very special player for the Big Red! I don't buy the argument that Griffin is a lock for 2011 All Big XII QB Honors though, a lot can happen between now and then. If Lee turns out to be better than Ganz, and IMO he will, then Lee could throw for 3800-4000 yards that year and also run for quite a bit, maybe even 500 yards. I think that would put him in rarified air.

Is the next one on the roster?

Yes. It'll be Zac Lee as a senior in '10 because McCoy, and more than likely Bradford, will be be gone to the NFL after this season.

So Nebraska has a brief one year window to get an all conference QB because once OU and UT find their replacements at QB they'll be "the #1a and 1b" QB selections when it comes to all conference honors for the next three of four years.

As a completely separate and utterly irrelevant issue: I still don't understand how Gerald McCoy, the DT from OU made all conference 1st team with almost half the "stats" as Suh.

<_<

You forgot to mention that Reesing and Robinson will be gone as well. The Big 12 is still loaded with quality QB's again this year.