2010 Nonconference Schedule

Just took a long look at our 2010 schedule. We are gonna catch some heat from the media and pretty much all college football fans for our non-conference opponents.

Western Kentucky in Lincoln

Idaho in Lincoln

at Washington

South Dakota State in Lincoln

I really hate to see this. I have always railed on teams like Texas Tech and Kansas, K-State for loading their schedule with creampuffs.. but this is way worse than even them. We may quite literally have the easiest schedule in D-I college football..

It's nice that we should blow through them without much trouble, but do we lose credibility for not beating a decent team outside the Big XII? Will we be prepared to play the big boys of the Big 12? With Texas losing much talent (including McCoy), will we even have the schedule strength to be able to make a run at the National Championship?

I think the media will blast us. It just didn't play out well though. I think when Nebraska scheduled Washington they were actually good and that would be the hard non-conferance game. But who knows they might have a solid year and be pretty good in 2010. Still a long way away. Anything could happen :dunno

I've known about that schedule for awhile and it doesn't make it any easier to swallow. D1AA scheduling? With all due respect to KU and MU (and no due respect to KSU), that looks more like their scheduling tactics. I had to verify that Idaho wasn't also a D1AA school since it seems like they should be.

My question is when was Western Ky scheduled? They have only recently moved up to D1A, so it's possible that the last regime knowingly scheduled two D1AA teams. How the heck do we go from playing USC and VT to this?

I'll take the wait and see approach with Washington, maybe Montana is the second coming of his pops, but the rest of it is pure junk.

Just took a long look at our 2010 schedule. We are gonna catch some heat from the media and pretty much all college football fans for our non-conference opponents.

Idaho in Lincoln

at Washington

I really hate to see this. I have always railed on teams like Texas Tech and Kansas, K-State for loading their schedule with creampuffs.. but this is way worse than even them. We may quite literally have the easiest schedule in D-I college football..

It's nice that we should blow through them without much trouble, but do we lose credibility for not beating a decent team outside the Big XII? Will we be prepared to play the big boys of the Big 12? With Texas losing much talent (including McCoy), will we even have the schedule strength to be able to make a run at the National Championship?

Cancel SDS & WK and have an in-season home-and-home with Clemson.

Idaho in Lincoln

at Washington

+1

Idaho in Lincoln

at Washington

Actually what we sould do is get rid of South Dakota State and add any team from a BCS conference. I mean I sort of understand scheduling Western Kentucky-at least they are a D-1A school. But South Dakota State? Really? What are they, a school in NAIA Division 50?

The good news is that beginning in 2011 and moving forward the schedule at least is respectable.

South Dakota State is D-1AA and is in the same conference as Northern Iowa.

Isn’t Western Kentucky also a D-1AA school?

Either way that schedule is like the non-conference schedules from back in the 80’s. Terrible and I can’t imagine being asked to pay $55-60 a ticket for either of those crappy games.

Western KY is a D-1 school as of this year. Sun Belt Conference I think.

Either way that schedule is like the non-conference schedules from back in the 80’s. Terrible and I can’t imagine being asked to pay $55-60 a ticket for either of those crappy games.

Maybe SDSU too. Not that they'll play football any better, but at the win will count.

And about the 80s, some of these non-confs sound a lot better than 2010 (Of course the conference schedule was usually a cake walk so adding a little SOS to the non-conf was required):

1980 Utah, Iowa, Penn State, and Florida State

1981 @Iowa, Florida State, Penn State, Auburn

1982 Iowa, New Mexico State, Penn State, Auburn

1983 Penn State, Wyoming, Minn., UCLA, Syracuse

1984 Wyoming, Minnesota, UCLA, Syracuse

1985 Florida State, Illinois, Oregon New Mexico

1986 Florida State, @Illinois, Oregon, @South Carolina

1987 Utah State, UCLA, @Arizona State, South Carolina

1988 Texas A&M, Utah State, @UCLA, Arizona State, UNLV

1989 Northern Illinois, Utah, @Minn., Oregon State

Those schedules in the 80’s are deceiving because some of those teams get credit just because of their name and not by how good they actually were. 1980 Iowa (4-7) and Utah (5-5-1) stunk. 1981 Florida State was 6-5 and Auburn was 5-6 but they look good because of their names (see NU in 04 & 07). 1982 was solid except New Mexico (3-8). 1983 Minnesota (1-10) was one of the worst teams in D1 football Syracuse (6-5) was average the other 3 games were decent (22-13-1). 1984 UCLA (9-3) was good the others average to bad (16-18). 1985 see 1984 but switch Penn State for Florida State (9-3 the rest 14-19-1). 1986 combined record 19-23-3 and Florida State was the only team with a winning record (7-4-1). 1987 was solid except Utah State (5-6). 1988 UCLA (10-2) good the rest average to bad (21-24). 1989 N. Illinois was 9-2 the other 3 were a combined 14-20-1. 1990 (I know it’s not the 80’s) combined 19-24-1.

So granted those schedules were not as bad as next years (2010) but there were plenty of stinkers in there that get points because of their name. Throw some of them in with the crummy Big 8 schools and some of those years were terrible. (I know you can’t do anything about your conference opponents)

Maybe SDSU too. Not that they'll play football any better, but at the win will count.

And about the 80s, some of these non-confs sound a lot better than 2010 (Of course the conference schedule was usually a cake walk so adding a little SOS to the non-conf was required):

1980 Utah, Iowa, Penn State, and Florida State

1981 @Iowa, Florida State, Penn State, Auburn

1982 Iowa, New Mexico State, Penn State, Auburn

1983 Penn State, Wyoming, Minn., UCLA, Syracuse

1984 Wyoming, Minnesota, UCLA, Syracuse

1985 Florida State, Illinois, Oregon New Mexico

1986 Florida State, @Illinois, Oregon, @South Carolina

1987 Utah State, UCLA, @Arizona State, South Carolina

1988 Texas A&M, Utah State, @UCLA, Arizona State, UNLV

1989 Northern Illinois, Utah, @Minn., Oregon State

Sorry Pete, those 2 drop the SOS ranking...