New Helmets?

What in the world....

We seriously need to get to playing foozball. I did not even get past the initial post and I wanted to throw up in my mouth. Why don;t you just suggest the pope try being a mormon and that Pam Anderson eat red meat. Really....

She eats red meat, I saw the video.

Nice...

I like tradition...what's the first think people remember when they think of Nebraska football? The big red N on the helmet. I can say the same thing about Notre Dame and their gold domes...Or Penn State and their all white helmets.....In other words....Leave the helmets looking the same. It's our tradition!

As a disclaimer, I am absolutely in favor of keeping the current helmet design throughout my lifetime. I love it.

That said, I think it's amusing how everyone seems to think we've had the exact same helmet since 1890.

If we had always been such staunch traditionalists, there may have been riots when are helmets changed color from red to white in 1961. Or how about when we dropped the traditional numbered helmets in favor of the modern, newfangled "NU" logo in '67.

The outrage must have been almost unbearable when Nebraska dropped it's 24 year tradition of gray facemasks, and in the bowl game at the end of the '81 season, came out in RED facemasks. Ugh. Blasphemy! I thought we were about tradition, focusing on football, toughness without the flash. And here we are with these damn shiny, colored facemasks. Barf.

Exactly. So I'm venturing to guess that a slight change would not kill us... Besides, the new style N looks awesome and it would look sweet on the side of the current helmet...

i think i remember a time when people wanted to put the N with the script huskers on it, on the helmet. that would've been terrible.

i'd like the new one without the script huskers on the helmet. that'd be sick.

but the thing that gets me amped for the season in the offseason, is the scarlet and cream. seeing those guys get after it with that shatty font N on the side of the helmet, it gives me goosebumps.

it may be small and weird and a little lame, but that N represents the Huskers and i love it.

don't change a thing.

As a disclaimer, I am absolutely in favor of keeping the current helmet design throughout my lifetime. I love it.

That said, I think it's amusing how everyone seems to think we've had the exact same helmet since 1890.

If we had always been such staunch traditionalists, there may have been riots when are helmets changed color from red to white in 1961. Or how about when we dropped the traditional numbered helmets in favor of the modern, newfangled "NU" logo in '67.

The outrage must have been almost unbearable when Nebraska dropped it's 24 year tradition of gray facemasks, and in the bowl game at the end of the '81 season, came out in RED facemasks. Ugh. Blasphemy! I thought we were about tradition, focusing on football, toughness without the flash. And here we are with these damn shiny, colored facemasks. Barf.

Who won that game?

Who won that game?

Nobody remembers. :nanalama

Who won that game?

I don't know, your blog doesn't tell me.

Who won that game?

LOL. Touche. It's been a while since I've updated, I was out all weekend looking for our governor, and then I've just been too lazy to update.

Who won that game?

LOL. Touche. It's been a while since I've updated, I was out all weekend looking for our governor, and then I've just been too lazy to update.

Who knew you would need a passport to find him?

Who won that game?

Not me, I was all over the Appalachian Trail...

and who knew, he was all over Argentinean Tail!

Who won that game?

Not me, I was all over the Appalachian Trail...

and who knew, he was all over Argentinean Tail!

:laughpound too bad it wasn't Shakira, I would be impressed then.

Hey guys, sooner fan and husker fan here(when not playing ou of course). they have this same talk on the sooner board i go to about changing the unies and helmets. and just like most of us OU fans we say hell no never!!

Just like OU you have long a tradition and history, where ever you go, people know that giant N, just like they know the OU logo, i hope you guys never change that, it's who you are and allways will be.

You guys are not oregon.

BOOMER SOONER and GO BIG RED!!

11/07/09 Might make the trip, my buddy is a husker and will be going, so i might join him, can't wait.

Chill out... All I said was it would be cool to put the new style N on the side... Just because some people like throwing the idea of new unis or helmet decals around doesn't make them stupid "young fans" or any more or less of fans than you are... I've been a die-hard fan for 26+ years, and I was born in Colorado, for pete's sake... I wasn't talking about an overhaul, just a new bumper sticker and some wax... Remember who we are recruiting: Young people who like change...

Superstitions are for Catholics and baseball players... Like I said before, the Old School work ethic and attitude make us great, not how big or small or what style the"N" is....

That's half the problem with the so called "Old School" fans, they are living in the past.... Yes, we are one of the greatest dynasties of all time of any sport, but that doesn't do us any good unless we live up to it and perform... Cherish the memories, but live in the now...

P.S.- Not all Husker fans fear change (i.e. this post).

Your post is amusing in a way but I vote on no change and believe me about 85-90% Husker fans don't want change just the majority of younger husker fans. There is nothing wrong with living in the past and nothing wrong with living in the present but when we got rid of all of the Husker Tradition such as the walk on program, the option, allowing former players to set foot on the sidelines, taking down photos of past players, etc.... Nebraska just wasn't the same old Nebraska, Nebraska had lost its image......do you see where I'm trying to get at.

I don't know if you remember the 2002 season. We changed our uniforms back then and we had a crap load of Husker fans that hated them and called them ugly, horrible, disgusting, etc. Why change something that doesn't need to be fixed. Tom Osborne was brought back to right the ship and to restore the order. Guess what his first priortiy was to do.........bring back the Husker Tradition that was taken away when Doucher was here and TO is an Old School type of coach and he still lives in the past in a few ways......so is he wrong for living in the past?

I'll be 26 in July and I have a lot of respect of our Tradion that was started back in the 60's and the way Tom Osborne kept it that way and I want it to continue that way year after year. Bo is brought in and he is focusing on bringing back our Tradition that was lost in the past 4 years and to bring back the winning ways. I never said that I'm a bigger fan than anybody on this board and you seem to think that. My dad is one of those Old School people and he donates a lot of money to the University and he's had season tickets since 94'.

Changing our uniforms was done once in the past 10 years and it was a huge mistake and changing it again would be another mistake as well. I guarantee it that the only people that want to change our uniforms/helmets into something that looks cooler are teenagers I guarantee it. Husker fans thrive on our history of tradition and the glory days and we all know that those glory days are over but it doesn't mean that we can't stop talking about it. If I started a thread on whether to change our helmets/uniforms it would be a lopsided result with several votes in favor of no change.

I'm not picking on you or calling you stupid but the thought of changing anything like the tunnel walk, uniforms, helmets, etc.....I just feel like puking and kicking a cat. Changing any one of those things just wouldn't feel like Nebraska at all. I still get goosebumps while listening to Sirus in my car or on youtube and what we have as uniforms now is what Nebraska is all about and will be for years and years.