Two Questions......1)Favoritve RB? 2)Who do you think is the all time best RB?

But with out a doubt the best running back Nebraska has ever had is Cory Ross. He did so much with absolutely nothing around him. He played until he had to be carried off the field and then held on the side lines to keep him from going back. Never has there been a truer example of being a Husker. Never has there been a better example of being a team player.

No one gave more on the field, on the practice field. He was the only bright spot on the Nebraska level. He made us at least have a chance, when coaching was doing everything to lose the game.

I respect everyone that has been mentioned, well except for LP, but I admire Cory Ross. He is THE Nebraska running back for me, no one else even comes close.

I don't disagree with a word you're saying, but are you defining "best" or "most heart?" Ross and Zac Taylor are very dear Huskers to me because of everything you said. Zac got pummeled time and time again with that crappy O-Line, and every time he got back up and gutted out the game. That guy deserved the Heisman for some of those performances. Tough damned kid.

Ross was the same way. Undersized, outmanned in way too many games, yet he produced time and time again. That Alamo Bowl win against Michigan was just SO MUCH guts and "refuse to lose".... I don't know if Mike Rozier or Jeff Kinney or Ahman Green could have done any better. I really don't.

So it's hard for me to include Ross amongst the greats on talent alone. But if we're talking guts and heart, he's top three material, easy. EASY. :worship

I can only imagine how good he would have been, playing with the lines that Ahman, Rozier, Craig or a host of other played with. Every game, they knew all they had to do was stop Cory, and very few could do it. That is the way I see it. He never had the luxury of being one of the weapons. He was our only weapon. That is what seperates him for me.

As stated stats are not all that are important, wins were hard to come by with what he played with and for.

With his heart and drive, I think he would have been the starter with what ever team he played on. You just could not hold him back.

I had the opportunity to meet him and he truly is a gentleman, intelligent and polite. Never above anyone, some of the others, that can not be said.

But I look at him as the my favorite Husker, life long. Jeff Kinney was until Cory came along. Few face the things he faced, and fair nearly as well as he did. Nebraska is truly better having Cory playing for us. Leadership on the field, on campus, and in the class room.

And I agree on Zac, he ranks up there as one of my favorite Huskers of all time. I think he played close to his potential though, Cory never got the chance, but I guess it could said for both.

On pure physical talent its LP.

Jeff Kinney had incredible determination.

Rick Berns gave us some great wins over traditional powers, Alabama and OU.

Mike Rozier, our only Heisman Trophy winner at running back.

How do you like your Buffalo steak? With a fine Redwine, Jarvis that is.

I. M. Hipp, Tony Davis, Calvin Jones, and Corell Beckhaulter (still playing in the NFL).

Rodger Craig, once led the nation in rushing as a third team, freshman, running back.

Ahman Green, could have won the Heisman, but left early (but with two NC rings).

Corey Ross, all guts and no where near enough glory.

Marlon Lucky, could have been so much more, just didn't have the right coach.

WOW! The thrills these young men have given us.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

Favorite: Ahman Green. Probably because he was in Lincoln while I was there... ah, the memories.

The best overall: Pick one from any of those mentioned above. They were all outstanding, all for different reasons.

Ahman Green and Phillips, great combo and both with SPEED!!! Rozier and Craig, Hipp and Redwine.

This was the sig I made for another forum back when Zac was playing. I'm a big fan.

ZacSig.jpg

Tongue-in-cheek of course, but I felt he wasn't getting nearly enough respect back then.

:yeah

I completely agree with you Knapplc. I've said it on this forum before and I'll say it again.....Zac Taylor is my favorite QB of all time. I had a chance to meet him at the Convention Center here in South Sioux City a few years ago but by the time I got there he left an hour early and I was really bummed out and so I left. But I have an amazing future Mother in law that got his autograph when he was in Columbus, NE.

I was in 4th and 5th grade when Nebraska won back to back National Champs so I only remember those two title games with Frazier and don't remember much in the regular season. I was in High School when we had Eric Crouch and I really admired what he did with the program. I've meet him twice in person and hes a down to earth type of guy too and really nice. I think the reason I like Zac Taylor as my favortie QB is because I was old enough at the time to really grasp the game more than I did when Eric and Tommie was here and I got into the stats, recruiting, players, etc more to become a bigger fan and a more knowledgeable in Husker football

But one reason why I really like Zac Taylor out of the other past Husker QB's and why he's my favorite QB is because he would take some serious hits and get back up and do it all over again, he had so much heart and determination to win ball games. Sure he couldn't run fast but he sure could fire a bullet to a reciever and absorb some fierce tackles. Zac Taylor is one reason why Nebraska did good during the Callahan years in my opinion. My parents went to the Alamo Bowl when we played against Michigan and they ran into Zac's grandparents and they told them how much Nebraska loves Zac Taylor and how tough an athlete he is. My parents told me that they were very pleased with the nice compliments. My parents also asked them if it was hard for them to wear Nebraska red instead of the OU red and they said that it wasn't a hard convert at all.

Your thoughts

:snacks:

In all my years as a Husker fan, The most pure, talented, punishing runner that I ever seen wear the N helmet was Lawrence Phillips. The kid was amazing to watch when he was pitched the pigskin. Lord only knows how far this kid could of went if he would of/could of/should of, stayed out of trouble.

:yeah

1. LP, but this Helu kid is starting to creep up there. time will tell

2. Mike Rozier

I appreciate the view on Helu --- he has just begun --- really --- he has two years remaining and wow, he might end up quite awesome. We'll see how he ends up.

For ranking all time best, we have to limit, I'd think, the contenders to those who have completed careers. That said, man how can anyone leave off Lawrence Phillips, Mike Rozier, Ahman Green or Roger Craig?! Of course, with the limitation of listing only two, by definition two of the others must be left off. My point, however, is that all 4 of these guys were awesome and all are equally deserving of accolades. So...

I'd suggest taking the list to a top 5. I'd guess almost everyone would have the top four (in any order) consisting of Phillips, Rozier, Green and Craig. The interesting one would be who is next?

My next would be a tough call. IM Hipp? Maybe Doug Dubose --- he certainly would have been there were injuries not to have had curtailed his career --- pre-injury, I felt DuBose was on par with the elite 4 --- after injury, not so much so.

On pure physical talent its LP.

Jeff Kinney had incredible determination.

Rick Berns gave us some great wins over traditional powers, Alabama and OU.

Mike Rozier, our only Heisman Trophy winner at running back.

How do you like your Buffalo steak? With a fine Redwine, Jarvis that is.

I. M. Hipp, Tony Davis, Calvin Jones, and Corell Beckhaulter (still playing in the NFL).

Rodger Craig, once led the nation in rushing as a third team, freshman, running back.

Ahman Green, could have won the Heisman, but left early (but with two NC rings).

Corey Ross, all guts and no where near enough glory.

Marlon Lucky, could have been so much more, just didn't have the right coach.

WOW! The thrills these young men have given us.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

As to Marlon Lucky.... OK, the coaching did not help by any means. It can also be argued that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Bad situation, I guess.

That said, Marlon, as much as I appreciated his determination and his willingness to be a team player --- and certainly am very glad he was a Husker --- he cannot be mentioned with the top NU runners. He cannot be placed with Rozier, Green, Phillips or Craig. He also should not be placed with Hipp, Redwine, Kinney, DuBose, Buckhalter or Dan Alexander. He might find placement in the tier alongside otherwise very good RB's such as Brown, Ross, Jackson, Calvin Jones, Kenny Clark, etc.

Marlon was a fine college RB --- but not a tier one (or tier II) NU back. The history of excellent RB's at NU poses too much competition for that.