H1N1 virus and NU Football

By the fall/winter there will be a shot readily available for H1N1 ... At least that was the plan back when it was all the talk.

That's the plan, but it takes months to develop according to the CDC. Antivirals like tamiflu work, and there's a lot of it, and this is a pretty pie-in-the-sky scenario, but it's a possibility so I thought I'd mention it.

This may not be the best discussion topic ever. But it's different, and maybe that's good.

I think you (NU) have a greater chance of losing BOTH your first two games, be struck by lightning on your way to the game, and being hit by a Hurricane on your way home than ever catching this virus. I think your 300th sell-out will take place when you expect it :)

But less chance that Corso's rental car gets hit by lightening at VT!

I work in health care and the the panic being created by the Obama administration and the CDC over the swine flu is patently absurd because it is just another strain of the flu. It's not AIDS, it's not the ebola virus, it's not even necrotizing fasciitis. If a person does contract the swine flu then he or she should do the same thing a person should do with any other type of flu: rest and plenty of fluids.

Back to Nebraska football... :clap

If you've been following this flu outbreak you know the Center for Disease Control (CDC) has raised the threat level of this latest flu strain to "pandemic," meaning it's out of control right now and spreading. It's certainly not time to hit the panic button - of 27,717 confirmed cases in America, only 127 have resulted in deaths. But if you follow pandemics, the great flu pandemic of 1918 had an outbreak in the Spring, a quiet Summer, then lots of fatalities in the ensuing Fall and Winter. If this one mirrors that one we could be in for a bumpy ride in the Fall.

What that means is, if this thing breaks out this Fall, and the pandemic is in full swing, it's possible we could see lots of people avoiding public places. Memorial Stadium is about as public as it gets in Nebraska. Wouldn't that be bizarre if this flu ended up being the thing that ended the only streak we have left?

you know, it's been a long summer, and no offense, but i for one, can't wait to have some football news. <_<

I work in health care and the the panic being created by the Obama administration and the CDC over the swine flu is patently absurd because it is just another strain of the flu. It's not AIDS, it's not the ebola virus, it's not even necrotizing fasciitis. If a person does contract the swine flu then he or she should do the same thing a person should do with any other type of flu: rest and plenty of fluids.

Jen, didn't you want to invite the Hogs of Arkansas into your conference? With this swine flu scare I would be concerned having them all over Memorial Stadium...

Jen, that's the way I see this, too. Isn't a .05% mortality rate pretty darned low for the flu?

TO: Hunter94

Agreed, man. There's not much going on these days, though.

Agree. It's not even close to being as virulent as first reported. Just something to keep the masses living in fear. All of the REAL big bads aside, MRSA is a bigger concern IMO.

If you've been following this flu outbreak you know the Center for Disease Control (CDC) has raised the threat level of this latest flu strain to "pandemic," meaning it's out of control right now and spreading. It's certainly not time to hit the panic button - of 27,717 confirmed cases in America, only 127 have resulted in deaths. But if you follow pandemics, the great flu pandemic of 1918 had an outbreak in the Spring, a quiet Summer, then lots of fatalities in the ensuing Fall and Winter. If this one mirrors that one we could be in for a bumpy ride in the Fall.

What that means is, if this thing breaks out this Fall, and the pandemic is in full swing, it's possible we could see lots of people avoiding public places. Memorial Stadium is about as public as it gets in Nebraska. Wouldn't that be bizarre if this flu ended up being the thing that ended the only streak we have left?

I'm glad we have our priorities in the right place, then again, I guess it goes along with being Husker fans.

It has been proven the disease is attracted to all things red. MS would not be the place to be if it really is pandemic dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse