How will Zac Lee perform this fall?

I think we may have a tougher time than some think. If I'm a defensive coach and I know that NU is going to rely on the running game because of an inexperienced QB. I would stack the box and make him beat me with his arm. If NU doesn't have an O line that can gel and blow open some holes it won't matter who we have in the backfield. I believe that Watson will have Lee come out and throw more than 50% of the time during our first three games. This would send the message that we can pass as well as have possibly two very good backs. Watson will want to play a few head games with opponents further down the schedule. What better way then to show that we are going to be balanced? Just my .02 worth

How many decades did we pretty much only run the ball? How many times did D's line up with 8 in the box only to give us our 3 and 4 yards a crack? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think Nebraska has proven time and time again that we can still pound the rock even with 8 in the box. Tommie Frazier was a true freshman. Everyone stacked the line, but we were still pretty successful. If everyone does their job, we can run on a stacked box just like we always did.

It's 2009, not 1999. We haven't proven anything.

So what you're saying is that something that worked 10 years ago will not work today? All I'm saying is that this year isn't the first time we go into the season with a new QB. Taylor was the last back to back starter we had. I believe we have the horses up front to be able to pound the rock just like we used to.

So what you're saying is that something that worked 10 years ago will not work today? All I'm saying is that this year isn't the first time we go into the season with a new QB. Taylor was the last back to back starter we had. I believe we have the horses up front to be able to pound the rock just like we used to.

I'm saying I'm not sold on the fact that we have those horses yet. I think we all know the offense we ran in the 90s would work today with the right personnel. The line we have hasn't yet proven that they are the right personnel, though.

I'm saying I'm not sold on the fact that we have those horses yet. I think we all know the offense we ran in the 90s would work today with the right personnel. The line we have hasn't yet proven that they are the right personnel, though.

I have to agree. The pipe line in the 90's would open holes and we could gain 3 to 4 yds with my sister running the ball. I don't believe that the O line now is on the same par. Instead of 3 to 4 yds a run we'd more likely get 2 to 3 yds. 3rd and 6 just isn't the same as 3rd and 2. T.O said that the option was darn near unstoppable " with the right athletes to run it". Now granted, we didn't run a "pure" option offense, but I don't think we have any Green, Rozier or Phillips caliber backs either. We have "good" backs, don't get me wrong. Let's just see if Barney has coached the boys up or not. <_<

I have to agree. The pipe line in the 90's would open holes and we could gain 3 to 4 yds with my sister running the ball. I don't believe that the O line now is on the same par. Instead of 3 to 4 yds a run we'd more likely get 2 to 3 yds. 3rd and 6 just isn't the same as 3rd and 2. T.O said that the option was darn near unstoppable " with the right athletes to run it". Now granted, we didn't run a "pure" option offense, but I don't think we have any Green, Rozier or Phillips caliber backs either. We have "good" backs, don't get me wrong. Let's just see if Barney has coached the boys up or not. <_<

The interesting thing about our offense in the 90's was that our "short" yardage run plays ended up gaining as many yards as the "short" yardage spread passing attack plays do today.

I agree with hskrprid. We don't know how this o-line will do yet, especially since I'm not even sold on how good a coach Cotton really is.

The interesting thing about our offense in the 90's was that our "short" yardage run plays ended up gaining as many yards as the "short" yardage spread passing attack plays do today.

I agree with hskrprid. We don't know how this o-line will do yet, especially since I'm not even sold on how good a coach Cotton really is.

I would hate to see a good Zac Lee thread ruined by all the anti-Barney venom. So if your going to open up the "Cotton is a worthless coach" can of worms, could you at least start a new topic for it?

I'm sure it will get a ton of views here on Huskerboard. :thumbs

I think we may have a tougher time than some think. If I'm a defensive coach and I know that NU is going to rely on the running game because of an inexperienced QB. I would stack the box and make him beat me with his arm. If NU doesn't have an O line that can gel and blow open some holes it won't matter who we have in the backfield. I believe that Watson will have Lee come out and throw more than 50% of the time during our first three games. This would send the message that we can pass as well as have possibly two very good backs. Watson will want to play a few head games with opponents further down the schedule. What better way then to show that we are going to be balanced? Just my .02 worth

How many decades did we pretty much only run the ball? How many times did D's line up with 8 in the box only to give us our 3 and 4 yards a crack? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think Nebraska has proven time and time again that we can still pound the rock even with 8 in the box. Tommie Frazier was a true freshman. Everyone stacked the line, but we were still pretty successful. If everyone does their job, we can run on a stacked box just like we always did.

You don't have the same HC and playcaller?