Would it be appropriate.....

Let me ask you this - do you associate Lawrence Phillips with any other coach, or just Tom Osborne? Because that'll say something about where you're coming from if it's just Osborne. Think about that.

I think its different when talking just about lawerence phillips and when people are talking about the 90's huskers problems.

You are right that people make a bigger deal out of the issues with the huskers then they do and the issues in Iowa City the past few years. Thats because the Huskers won, alot. And I will agree that issues happened/happen with many team across the country. And maybe its a regional thing. as far asnowledge. But I lost respect for TO because of some of those things. Maybe that is just me, but from an outsider who knows and hears the things that he says, then watched his actions, it turned me off. And like you said, NE could have won without LP.

Back on track though, to answer your question. I associate those players in that situation with the huskers and TO. However, I see LP as a waste of talent and time. He recieved how many chances not only from TO and Dick Vermil, but I would imagine from a number of people in his life. He was too stupid to realize if he listened he could have had a pretty good life, instead he ended up in the place they all desperately tried to keep him out of.

BTW - my opinion on that doesnt take away anything, in my mind from what NE did. Even if NE did sit LP, Greene was still there. NE was stacked. TO's non-action or half arsed actions (IMO ofcourse. obviously others feel different) effected my personally feeling for a man, not the talent and achievements of his teams.

Oh...and I dont rush the field. Although I dont really care if people do. It doesnt happen often in FB anyway.

Listen, if Tom O kicks LP off the team, than he would be criticized for not trying to help him get his life straightened out. So he tries to do just that and he still gets criticized for it. It was a no win situation for T O. I for one think he did the right thing. To bad for LP he wanted to do things his way. Forget being a great coach T O is a great man.

GBR!!!

I don't see why rushing the field is considered so horrible. First, it was pointed out more than once in this thread that fans routinely rushed the field during our glory days. So the "act like we've been there before" argument is kind of defeated by that. Second, I don't think it is an intrinsically dangerous activity. Perhaps ripping down the goal posts is inherently dangerous. But rushing the field is not anymore dangerous than a lot of people jumping around at a concert. Seriously, the whole stepford fan law and order stuff is boring.

Excitement and celebration is not a bad thing.

HuskerGBR and Huskered17 pretty much summed up my response regarding TO and Phillips. Long story short, TO thought the best way to help Phillips was to keep him inside a structured organization rather than kicking him to the curb. It backfired on him, and people who don't know or understand Osborne or his motives raked him over the coals for it. Sometimes the best of intentions blow up in your face. That's what happened with Osborne and Lawrence Phillips, and Dick Vermiel and Lawrence Phillips, and several other coaches after he left Nebraska and Lawrence Phillips.

But of all the people who put trust in Phillips and tried to help him, the only person who continues to have it held against him is Tom Osborne. And looking at the totality of Osborne's life and life goals, holding what Lawrence Phillips is against Tom Osborne is @*#$ing absurd.

But you can't think for other people, I guess.

HuskerGBR and Huskered17 pretty much summed up my response regarding TO and Phillips. Long story short, TO thought the best way to help Phillips was to keep him inside a structured organization rather than kicking him to the curb. It backfired on him, and people who don't know or understand Osborne or his motives raked him over the coals for it. Sometimes the best of intentions blow up in your face. That's what happened with Osborne and Lawrence Phillips, and Dick Vermiel and Lawrence Phillips, and several other coaches after he left Nebraska and Lawrence Phillips.

But of all the people who put trust in Phillips and tried to help him, the only person who continues to have it held against him is Tom Osborne. And looking at the totality of Osborne's life and life goals, holding what Lawrence Phillips is against Tom Osborne is @*#$ing absurd.

well said....other fans like to look past his true intentions and make him look bad cuz he kicked their butts for so many years....!

knapplc,

I totally understand where you are coming from. And am not trying to start a war or fight. It has just been my experiance that there are ways to help besides allowing those acting out to continue doing what they love (sports or whatever that is) TO's intent, i believe, was very honorable. But he clearly benifited from having him on the team. (allthough I think we both agree they team would have still been quite good without him). ANd there are plenty of ways to mentor and help someone in need. I spent 3 years of my life mentoring and helping at risk youth. Sometimes you have to take the things they want most from them. Your not dropping them off or kicking them to the curb. TO could just have easily remained a part of his life and kept him active in groups and under his wing. When he was back on track then football could become part of his life again. YOu are very correct in that sometimes no matter what you do, you can still lose. Right or wrong, its an opionion. We each have our reasons for our beliefs and Im okay with that. :thumbs

and B-rent, it has nothing to do with losses. For me it has much more to do with the ideals and standards that are put forward in his mentoring programs. Along with the morals, ethics and standards he claimed for himself when running for office and how some of those conflicted with decisions that I felt he made when it came to winning championships or doing the right thing....

I dont expect you to see my p.o.v., after all I am talking about a man who is a minor god to many of you. And let me please clearify that I dont dislike TO. I believe he is a good man. I dont think he is some evil man who sold his soul to the devil for championships (although I have heard stories... ;) ) For me it takes him down a few notches in my book. I had issues with some things i felt were a little off. thats all....no biggie....to each their own...

anyway...dont kill me :)

knapplc,

I totally understand where you are coming from. And am not trying to start a war or fight. It has just been my experiance that there are ways to help besides allowing those acting out to continue doing what they love (sports or whatever that is) TO's intent, i believe, was very honorable. But he clearly benifited from having him on the team. (allthough I think we both agree they team would have still been quite good without him). ANd there are plenty of ways to mentor and help someone in need. I spent 3 years of my life mentoring and helping at risk youth. Sometimes you have to take the things they want most from them. Your not dropping them off or kicking them to the curb. TO could just have easily remained a part of his life and kept him active in groups and under his wing. When he was back on track then football could become part of his life again. YOu are very correct in that sometimes no matter what you do, you can still lose. Right or wrong, its an opionion. We each have our reasons for our beliefs and Im okay with that. :thumbs

and B-rent, it has nothing to do with losses. For me it has much more to do with the ideals and standards that are put forward in his mentoring programs. Along with the morals, ethics and standards he claimed for himself when running for office and how some of those conflicted with decisions that I felt he made when it came to winning championships or doing the right thing....

I dont expect you to see my p.o.v., after all I am talking about a man who is a minor god to many of you. And let me please clearify that I dont dislike TO. I believe he is a good man. I dont think he is some evil man who sold his soul to the devil for championships (although I have heard stories... ;) ) For me it takes him down a few notches in my book. I had issues with some things i felt were a little off. thats all....no biggie....to each their own...

well thought out response sir. i can see where you are coming from and i have run into many fans of other teams that would agree with you..however many of those same fans have said that maybe they are just not happy with the butt kickings over the years...so i never know!

good day sir.

well said....other fans like to look past his true intentions and make him look bad cuz he kicked their butts for so many years....!

Think about this. How many of us had problems with girl friends during high school and college? LP went further and created more problems for himself than most of us ever did. He had just played at Mich. St., gained 250 yards, and was on his way to a Heisman Trophy. Then the bottom fell out of his world. He was suspended for six games, did anger management classes and finally got re-instated to the team. T.O. simply did what he could. I never heard that LP caused any more problems at Nebraska. Yes, he screwed up his life totally after he left but why should T.O. be held responsible for that? Perhaps it is because every time LP is mentioned on ESPN his name is preceeded by the words, "former Nebraska running back." This is a steamming pile of dung and only speaks to the fact that a team in Lincoln, NE, with a somewhat less than colouful couch embarrased the "Ole' Ball Couch" and his fun and gun East Coast offence, that was picked to win by many of the talking heads at ESPN.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:steam:steam:steam:bonez:bonez

well thought out response sir. i can see where you are coming from and i have run into many fans of other teams that would agree with you..however many of those same fans have said that maybe they are just not happy with the butt kickings over the years...so i never know!

good day sir.

:laughpound It's not often that I dont smile after reading one of your posts.

Good day to you also sir. :cheers

or one QB to pick his nose on tv and eat it. Could not resist it, sorry, I'm in that kind of mood today.

Its okay. I can take a joke. Just be glad I dont have the same bad attitude as this freakin wacko...

Pelini.jpg "What?!...you trying to get wise Got Carl??"

user938_25.jpg "You freakin kidding me Carl??! You got a problem with me!!"

_HUB1868_375.jpg "You had better listen up Got Carl!! I am this close..."

s-4910adf4a812d-34-1.jpg "Come back here Got Carl!!! HEY!!! I AM TALKING TO YOU!!"

:D:funnyhahah:D

Well, since the topic was already derailed in a couple of places, I won't feel so bad when I further derail it with my response of:

1) hysterical laughter :laughpound

and

2) my delight that Bo would even talk to me, more than once, and know my name!

OMG OMG he talked to ME! He looked directly at ME! I'm somebody now! I shall never wash this spittle off my face. That is, until I get the DNA extracted out it so I can make a clone of him for my very own.

A couple of things. Was Scott Baldwin even on the team when he had his problems? I don't like to throw him in there with the other players that got into huge trouble because he did have mental problems that I believe he's on medication for. I don't think he could really help what he did. In 1995, I remember an article that stated how many players playing in the NC game for Nebraska had felonies. I don't remember the number exactly, but it was a high number. If TO was really looking out for LP, wouldn't he have pushed for him to come back his senior year for one more year of guidance? LP was a mess ever since the first day he walked on campus. I knew one of his tutors, and some coach and in a lot of cases TO specifically came up to LP even as a freshman and told him to stay out of trouble. OU back in the day had a reputation for recruiting criminals, and so did we.

Act like we've been there before.

:yeah

come on, we have a proud rich tradition at the UofN and we dont need to be classless fans who storm a field after a "big win".

I am speaking from experience on this cause in 2002 when we beat A&M in College Station not only was I in hand cuffs but I was beaten up on the field by a cadet and security guard. :box My video clip of me near the 50 yard line was on Omaha channel 2. (i think, which ever station Richard Justice works at)

The University sent a detective to my frat house and showed me some video and needed a statement and wanted to know if I want to press charges. I had better video on a VHS tape of mine that was more detailed than his security camera from the top of the stadium. He took it and said he would be back, he returned and said that another student got stitches in his head from the same guy that assaulted me, we never pressed charges and that is why A&M cadets have to wear zip ties on there swords now at their side.

Anyway, I was wasted with my college buddies at the game and one guy went to jail for bringing beer into the stadium at halftime. Probably would not have done that if I knew I would be in handcuffs later that night. :bang

I did get my 10 minutes of fame from it though so that is ok. :)

Your bizarre anecdotal experience at TAMU doesn't change the fact that we have a rich tradition of storming the field in the case of big wins.

Listen, this whole thing is manufactured nonsense. People storm the field. It's dumb and unsafe, but they do it. We'll do it again, and it won't make us "classless" or in any way detract from our rich tradition.

Let us never be so bogged down by tradition that we forget that football is just a game. Games should be fun.