Sport.... not a sport

To me, a sport must have these elements:

1. Significant physical activity (controlling or relying on another object that does most of the work, i.e. a car or horse, does not count) and not just a skilled movement (i.e. darts)

2. Competitive

3. Scoring is objective (no "style points"); role of luck in outcome is minimized

Beer Pong...

Significant physical activity

- yes, you have to have some pretty quick reactions for a ball being bounced AND do it while under the influence-intoxicated.

Competitive-

-Definitely

Scoring-

You go by making cups, whether it goes in or not

SPORT!!

Beer Pong...

- yes, you have to have some pretty quick reactions for a ball being bounced AND do it while under the influence-toxicated.

Competitive-

-Definitely

Scoring-

SPORT!!

I challenge anyone here to a game of beer pong at any time, any venue. I was the unofficial Missouri Co-ed State Champion in 2002.

To me, a sport must have these elements:

1. Significant physical activity (controlling or relying on another object that does most of the work, i.e. a car or horse, does not count) and not just a skilled movement (i.e. darts)

2. Competitive

3. Scoring is objective (no "style points"); role of luck in outcome is minimized

The first element rules out spelling bees, chess, poker, etc..

The second element weeds out things like renting a pair of ice skates and casually skating around the rink. Not a sport. (However, competitive speed skating like you see in the Olympics is definitely a sport.)

The third element weeds out activities like gymnastics, ballroom dancing, cheerleading, etc.. While there is clearly a physical component to these activities and they can certainly be competitive, there are subjective and objective elements to the scoring. Therefore, while incredibly difficult at the highest levels, gymnastics cannot be considered a true sport, because there is a subjective component (the judges) in the scoring. Gymnastics has significant elements of sport to it, but also elements of art.

The difference between a "judge" and a "referee" or "umpire" is that the former is usually being asked to make determinations on subjective elements (i.e. artistic points in figure skating), where the referee is usually being asked to make determinations on objective elements (i.e. was the ball out of bounds...the referee might make the wrong call but there is a right and wrong call unlike subjective scoring)

Auto racing: not a sport, fails the significant physical activity test (sorry NASCAR fans)

Poker: not a sport, fails the significant physical activity test and too much luck is involved...I've seen guys on TV play a hand perfectly and then lose because some fluke river card gets flipped. Sorry, that's not a sport.

Figure Skating: not a sport, fails the objective scoring test

Speed Skating: sport (fastest to the finish line wins)

Synchronized Swimming: not a sport

Horse Racing: sport from the horse's point of view, not a sport from the jockey's point of view

Bowling: I say this fails the "significant physical activity" test. Not a sport.

Golf: Close call on the significant physical activity test. I could be convinced either way.

Quarters: not a sport

Surfing: I don't know enough about how it is judged. If it is dependent on the luck of catching a good wave and there are style points involved in scoring, then no.

Ski Jumping: sport

Snowboarding: Doesn't this involve style points? Skill yes, sport no.

Pole Vault: sport (in fact, I'd say most track and field events are about as true sports as you can get, along with weight lifting)

Skateboarding: Are there subjective "style" points in scoring? If so, not a sport.

How about Racquetball?

How about when I don't keep score?

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Jul 13 2009, 07:59 PM) 443914[/snapback]

Beer Pong...

- yes, you have to have some pretty quick reactions for a ball being bounced AND do it while under the influence-toxicated.

Competitive-

-Definitely

Scoring-

SPORT!!

I challenge anyone here to a game of beer pong at any time, any venue. I was the unofficial Missouri Co-ed State Champion in 2002.

You sir are on. :box

Anyway according to the three elements the hot dog eating contest would be considered a sport. It is most definitely a sport by the way.

:bs: You could practice as much as you like but you could never do this......

Yes I could. Now would I? No. No fricking way.

The bottom line is that jump on the skateboard is accomplished with gaining proper speed and elevation.

I've been snowboarding and it takes zero skill...just practice. The jump the snowboarder does, all he does is stand on the board. The wax on the bottom of the board, the incline packed with snow provides the requisite speed and all he does is go up the ramp and enjoy the ride.

Surfing. Are you seriously saying that only a select group of people can learn to surf?

Anybody with a complete lack of regard for their own physical well-being can surf, snowboard or ride a bmx bike and do the tricks these guys do...with enough practice.

No matter how much I train, practice and/or prepare I could never run a 4.3 40, dunk a basketball, etc.

I forgot to mention, no, you really couldn't do that.

Have you ever seen women's skate competitions? If skateboarding is as you say, and the only thing you need to be successful is practice, then the women should be equally good as the men, but it is far from the case. The women can hardly get above the coping on a halfpipe, and can't even come close to the technical maneuvers that the men do in street and park skating.

:bs: You could practice as much as you like but you could never do this......

Yes I could. Now would I? No. No fricking way.

The bottom line is that jump on the skateboard is accomplished with gaining proper speed and elevation.

I've been snowboarding and it takes zero skill...just practice. The jump the snowboarder does, all he does is stand on the board. The wax on the bottom of the board, the incline packed with snow provides the requisite speed and all he does is go up the ramp and enjoy the ride.

Surfing. Are you seriously saying that only a select group of people can learn to surf?

Anybody with a complete lack of regard for their own physical well-being can surf, snowboard or ride a bmx bike and do the tricks these guys do...with enough practice.

No matter how much I train, practice and/or prepare I could never run a 4.3 40, dunk a basketball, etc.

I forgot to mention, no, you really couldn't do that.

Have you ever seen women's skate competitions? If skateboarding is as you say, and the only thing you need to be successful is practice, then the women should be equally good as the men, but it is far from the case. The women can hardly get above the coping on a halfpipe, and can't even come close to the technical maneuvers that the men do in street and park skating.

Oh dear... :facepalm:

I think I'll simply leave this thread alone because based on what landlord said, if I say what I really want to, it'll deteriorate and be locked. Have a nice day.

Dodgeball...?

There are organized leagues here.

I am living in the wrong state then man. I'd take Dodgeball over Basketball anyday. At the place I work a bunch of kids from Pennsylvania came here and I told them it was always to cold for football here, they were naive so they believed me. I told them we had high school dodgeball teams instead which they also bought... :dumdum

Ballet.

I’m tired of announcers telling me that ballet dancers are world class athletes. Show me one ballet dancer who could suit up in another real sport—say, play cornerback in Div. I ball. But I’ll bet there are a dozen D1 cornerbacks who could become decent ballet dancers with a few years training.

Ballet.

I’m tired of announcers telling me that ballet dancers are world class athletes. Show me one ballet dancer who could suit up in another real sport—say, play cornerback in Div. I ball. But I’ll bet there are a dozen D1 cornerbacks who could become decent ballet dancers with a few years training.

Uuuuuuuuhhh, that would require me being somewhere close to ballet. Not going to happin'

Ballet.

Uuuuuuuuhhh, that would require me being somewhere close to ballet. Not going to happin'

Ha ha! When you are married the TV remote sometimes falls into the hands of others. :)

Ballet.

Ha ha! When you are married the TV remote sometimes falls into the hands of others. :)

I am married. That is why we have 2 TVs - and the internet with huskerboard.com. I'm there but - "I'm sorry I didn't hear you. Was it important?" Then I have the remote after she throws it at me. House re-runs baby