So I'm pretty sure I need glasses....

OK guys, here's my dilemma, I know for a fact that I need glasses, but do not have health insurance.

1. How much is an eye doctor appointment, for someone uninsured?

2. How much are glasses/contacts, for someone uninsured?

3. For those of you with glasses/contacts, which would you recommend?

I really don't want to go to Lincoln next year if I can't figure out who's who...

Typical eye exams can run about $40-50 depending on how in depth they go (glasses vs contacts).

Most eye glass places have deals but we've routinely paid around $200 for eye glasses for my wife and son. And most insurance companies won't pay for the glasses or contacts. That's typically an out of pocket expense. Disposable contacts generally run about $30 for a box of 6. For me, I have the same prescription in each eye so I can get by with buying one box which gives me 3 pair. Most times I can get 3-4 months out of a box of contacts. In Oklahoma you have to have a separate prescription for contacts and it's only good for one year meaning each year you'll have to get a new prescription if you try to buy contacts after one year.

Which do I prefer? No real preference though I wear contacts all day. The only time I hate wearing them is when I'm tired or it's really dusty outside. Either time, my contacts/eyes dry out making the uncomfortable to wear.

Just to add to HuskerfaninOkieland's reply, if you have any kind of "eye phobia" (meaning, squimish at the thought of trying to stick a piece of glass or plastic in your eye), go with glasses. However, if you don't have that problem, and you are at all active (meaning, you sweat like a pig), go with contacts - glasses fall off, and you almost have to get prescription goggles.

I just got mine tested at nationwide for around $50..

Make sure they also measure the distance between yer eyes. (PD=Pupilary distance)

I found a website where you can get glasses really cheap like ~$12 and they need that measurement.

I was planning on ordering a half dozen pairs tonight ...if I can make out the numbers (prescription).

Personally I go with glasses (since 1st grade) I can't stand ANYTHING touching my eyeballs.

If money is an issue - glasses, otherwise you will need to continuously buy contacts and solution. Lion's club used to give old glasses for free??? I know they collected them - but maybe only for overseas dunno

ive had contacts for about three years now and love having them. great for when youre working out or playing sports or something. also lets you lose the chance of breaking your glasses when they fall off your face or something. only downside i can say about contacts is that depending on what kind you get having to put them in and out, if you get the daily disposable ones it wouldnt be that much trouble, just at the end of the day throw them away. you get the monthly ones i have you take them out and clean them with the solution each night and put them in the solution tray or whatever you want to call it. but i think contacts are the way to go as along as you dont have a problem with putting stuff on your eye

Never had to wear glasses until I was in my 40's. Damn still not adjusted to having to wear glasses to read. One eye doctor suggested I have one eye lasered and use one eye for distance and one for close up. I wore a contact on one eye for a month and said Nope, no way no how. Couldn't adjust to the difference with using one eye for each. Old dog new tricks and all. Glasses are great until you turn your head while riding a motorcycle at 80 and see them head for the car behind you at Warp 1. <_<

Wally World has pretty good prices on glasses too.

GBR

Never had to wear glasses until I was in my 40's. Damn still not adjusted to having to wear glasses to read. One eye doctor suggested I have one eye lasered and use one eye for distance and one for close up. I wore a contact on one eye for a month and said Nope, no way no how. Couldn't adjust to the difference with using one eye for each. Old dog new tricks and all.

Glasses are great until you turn your head while riding a motorcycle at 80 and see them head for the car behind you at Warp 1. <_< ...

Nice tip about m/c ridin.

I just realized I didn't wear glasses last time I had one..I just bought a new bike last month, but haven't ridden it much or liscensed it yet...

Too hot to ride durring the day (with my triglycerides/cholesterol approaching four figures and the daytime temps hovering around 115 I'm afraid of spontaneously combustin'...Plus..I just got back from vacation and forgot where I hid the title.

Do Chums help?