#27 according to Rivals.com

looking at that article with rose colored glasses was kind of rough.

when i took them off and put on my regular reading glasses, the one thing that stood out to me the most is......there is a lot of unproven talent on both sides of the ball and this season could be interesting.

also the writer mentioned "a lack of nastiness" on the offensive line, which is a concern, but the offensive line has lacked that nastiness for sometime now also.

looking at that article with rose colored glasses was kind of rough.

when i took them off and put on my regular reading glasses, the one thing that stood out to me the most is......there is a lot of unproven talent on both sides of the ball and this season could be interesting.

also the writer mentioned "a lack of nastiness" on the offensive line, which is a concern, but the offensive line has lacked that nastiness for sometime now also.

We are a young team in a lot of crucial spots. Those guys need to grow up fast if we're going to match last year's win/loss record. Truth to tell, we could go 9-4 again but have a 'better' season, simply because of all the youth.

The "lack of nastiness" has been a problem, you're right. Here's hoping the lights turn on, soon. By all accounts the guys we recruited were good. Now that needs to translate on the field.

If you're not a Husker fan, it's hard to make the case that this team is any better than last year's team, and last year's team was #27 by most counts.

But as a fan, I gotta go with the intangibles, and I think the return of pride on defense and one more year of a coaching culture that is both more intense and more fun counts for something. I'll take another 9- 4 year, but this time the Big 12 North comes with it.

i don't know how reliable an article this is.....i mean, it had wr listed as our strongest position on offense

yeah, i thought that was a bit odd myself...

STRONGEST AREA: The Huskers look good at running back, with Helu and Quentin Castille, and at receiver.

He did list the RB as the main Off. strength, but he had already run down the running game (or at least Helu) above that, so that's probably why he chose to give the WRs some ink. I personaly think WR will be a surprise to a lot of fans. Especially considering how many of the NU fans that are convinced the young WRs are junk, are the same people who are saying the DBs are going to make a miraculous leap into a lock down secondary. And that our D will be

I can understand fans being a little apprehensive about players they haven't seen much of. But I am far more concerned with the players we HAVE seen on the field. Just take another look at the Clemson and CU games if you need reminded of how bad the secondary was still playing at the end of last season.

My biggest question mark at WR is Niles Paul. Take away all the hype he's accumulated and the kid has been average at best. IMO he still has to prove he can be more consistent catching the football, or he could find himself stuck as the slot position for the rest career.

I know this may be an unpopular opinion on this board , but honestly can anyone argue that Paul's play on the field has earned him an automatic starting spot next season? Because I'm not convinced, and would not be at all surprised to see the depth chart look something like this next year.

X- Holt Y- Kinnie Z- Bell/Paul

We have question marks at:

QB

OFF Line

WR

Punter

LB

CB

S

Kick Return

Kick Coverage

We need guys to step up at each of these positions. I'm very willing to accept a #27 ranking with those kinds of questions around the team.

We're solid at:

RB

TE

DEF Line

That's a decent foundation to build a team around, but it's not enough to break into a swagger when talking about the upcoming year.

I know this may be an unpopular opinion on this board , but honestly can anyone argue that Paul's play on the field has earned him an automatic starting spot next season? Because I'm not convinced, and would not be at all surprised to see the depth chart look something like this next year.

I agree, he really doesn't have an automatic spot. However, I think it's odd that you'd put Kinnie in front of Paul. I'd imagine we'd put in Brooks ahead of Kinnie, and if one of the two newcomers at WR breaks into the starting line up, I'd guess it would be Bell due to his big play potential.

I love getting pre season attention for Nebraska, but really what does it all boil down to? I hate to think of how high my hopes were before the 2007 season...so in my own opinion...thinking that 2009 will most likely be another solid rebuilding year leaves me with many opportunities to be surprised!!

Just remember this though...MOST of our defense (especially Linebackers) were guys that wouldn't start at other schools, but they played lights out and really showed how far physical ability can go under the right guidance..

This season should be a lot of fun!

GO BIG RED! :woo:woo:woo:woo:woo

Just remember this though...MOST of our defense (especially Linebackers) were guys that wouldn't start at other schools, but they played lights out and really showed how far physical ability can go under the right guidance..

True. And when you think of all those redshirt freshmen that are coming in WOULD start at other schools, and they'll either be playing this year or pushing the starters, I think we're going to see drastic improvement at LB and defensive secondary. So I'm cautiously optimistic about this year, but realistic considering our schedule.

i don't know how reliable an article this is.....i mean, it had wr listed as our strongest position on offense

yeah, i thought that was a bit odd myself...

STRONGEST AREA: The Huskers look good at running back, with Helu and Quentin Castille, and at receiver.

He did list the RB as the main Off. strength, but he had already run down the running game (or at least Helu) above that, so that's probably why he chose to give the WRs some ink. I personaly think WR will be a surprise to a lot of fans. Especially considering how many of the NU fans that are convinced the young WRs are junk, are the same people who are saying the DBs are going to make a miraculous leap into a lock down secondary. And that our D will be

I can understand fans being a little apprehensive about players they haven't seen much of. But I am far more concerned with the players we HAVE seen on the field. Just take another look at the Clemson and CU games if you need reminded of how bad the secondary was still playing at the end of last season.

My biggest question mark at WR is Niles Paul. Take away all the hype he's accumulated and the kid has been average at best. IMO he still has to prove he can be more consistent catching the football, or he could find himself stuck as the slot position for the rest career.

I wouldn't say that Kinnie has proved himself either. Paul really hasn't had a chance to do anything spectacular because he has been stuck in the slot....I think that this season is his first real shot