Celebrating 300 straight sellouts

In a post by Jen Posted on: Jun 28 2009, 11:56 AM

Can someone clarify or explain to me why there is so much hype regarding the 300th sellout? It's just another sellout and when the next home game comes along it'll be #301. Sorry but I just don't get what's so special about 300. Now if it was the 500th, or even 1,000th consecutive sellout then I could understand the hoopla...but 300?

I mailed a snail mail letter to Dr. Tom today (his emails are routed to either his Admin Assistant Ann Hackbart or the Assoc AD and I wanted to add the personal touch) thanking him again for speaking at our Founder's Day Dinner AND to ask if there is going to be any recognition for long time supporters at the game on September 26th.

I knew my 80 year old Dad has rarely missed a home game so I asked him how many games during the streak he missed and his reply was "I've purchased season tickets since Devaney took over in 62 and I have missed 3 games" never batting an eye. Then he told me in detail the 3 that he did have to miss almost apologizing.

Dad doesn't have many years left and I want him to see the program recognized for what he and other true, faithful fans had the vision to buy into when Bob Devaney first arrived in Lincoln. I told Dr. Tom in my letter about Dad having to hitch hike home after games in the 40's when he was in high school back to his boyhood home in Beatrice. These are the loyal fans still alive that I want to see relish the moment and have their memories jogged when the Huskers come out of the tunnel in their throw back uniforms.

It's going to be a special day for a lot of people in the stadium that day...and unfortunately, a lot of them won't be around when the next 'milestone' is declared and another celebratory day is observed.

Okay so I still don't understand what's so special about 300? :dunno

if you're a spartan, it's a really cool number.

300.jpg

other than that, it's just a number. it's only significance is if you can name another college football program that has had 300 consecutive sellouts.

can anyone name them? has it ever happened before?

300.jpg

other than that, it's just a number. it's only significance is if you can name another college football program that has had 300 consecutive sellouts.

No, it's never happened before in college football...

But then again, once Nebraska broke the consecutive sellout record at what, 260 games, pretty much every sellout after that is cause celebre. I just don't get what's so special about the number 300.

Pardon my chickness here.

:dunno

I dunno Jen, maybe since Dr. Tom is such a wild man he just wanted to throw a party and left his charges in the department to come up with a theme?

You asked a good question and since I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer it just took me a while to think about my response.

Probally sounds dumb but i think its becaust its a even number. KInda like when we celebrated the bicentenial of america in 1976. Sure every year were still america, it just signifying that its been 200 years. And at some point there going to have a 250 year america celebration. Its just because its a flat number of 300 is why its a celebrating point. Kinda like when we make big deals about or 30th or 40th birthday. There milestones so speak, Because theres a 0 after the number it makes it that much more noteworthy. Most people might not be around for 500. And the record might stop one day so kinda celebrate it while its here.

Does that help.

Ben

300.jpg

But then again, once Nebraska broke the consecutive sellout record at what, 260 games, pretty much every sellout after that is cause celebre. I just don't get what's so special about the number 300.

Because BC destroyed every other record, its the only one we have left.....

Probally sounds dumb but i think its becaust its a even number. KInda like when we celebrated the bicentenial of america in 1976. Sure every year were still america, it just signifying that its been 200 years. And at some point there going to have a 250 year america celebration. Its just because its a flat number of 300 is why its a celebrating point. Kinda like when we make big deals about or 30th or 40th birthday. There milestones so speak, Because theres a 0 after the number it makes it that much more noteworthy. Most people might not be around for 500. And the record might stop one day so kinda celebrate it while its here.

Does that help.

Ben

Husker Jenn might not know about this. She could be one of the "29 and holding" people.

Does that help.

Ben

Husker Jenn might not know about this. She could be one of the "29 and holding" people.

BigRedPowerWagon,

Okay, I see the angle you're coming from.

huSKer,

I've been "29" for the past 10 years... :laughpound

300.jpg

This is a guy/sports thing.

For some unknown reason, guys can make a milestone out of about anything that's sports related. That's something we love about it. Guys remember where they were when McGwire hit # 62, Ripken broke Gehrig's consecutive game streak, etc.

It's part of our DNA, we can't explain it...