Media Day

Media day updates

Pelini said that offensive lineman Jaivorio Burkes is no longer with the team and he wouldn't expand on it any further other than saying he won't be with NU this fall.

Not to say its overly surprising but still I hate to see a guy get dropped if it is indeed cause of his medical condition. GL in where life takes ya Burkes.

Steve Simple's Media day

-- Asked about RBs: "First of all, I love the running back position." Roy Helu Jr. had a great summer and "is getting ready to take it to another level." Bo said Castille showed well at end of last season.

"If you want to win championships, at some point you have to be physical enough to run the football." (That comment is music to my ears).

Reading up on Media day from Tim Griffin's blog....

First off I'm glad to hear of this anticipation that the team has to get back out on the field and make things happen...but this seems a bit of a rehash from last year.

Secondly, I am so tired of people bringing up this Co-Big Twelve North Champs BS! It's like getting second place...but there were only two contestants.

No one is psyched that we got a share of the Big Twelve North Title..so stop talking about it dammnit!

Lastly...even hearing that Pelini is "feeling better" about where the team is makes me feel at ease...

One more month!

GO BIG RED!

No one is psyched that we got a share of the Big Twelve North Title..so stop talking about it dammnit!

Amen. It's a fact, it happened, and we're listed as co-champs.... but when you get shellacked by the other co-champs 52-17, that's so much less than a footnote it's not worth mentioning.

Per Husker Extra

One player who won’t see time this year is Jaivorio Burkes. Pelini said the offensive lineman won’t participate this fall for undisclosed medical reasons. Asked if Burkes’ career at NU was over, Pelini said he didn’t know.

And from Huskers.com

Pelini Zeroes in On What It Takes to Win: Defense and a Running Game

Bo Pelini was the leadoff speaker for the Big 12 Conference version of “Meet the Press” Monday afternoon, and no one had to wonder what his priorities are and probably always will be . . . defense and a strong running game.

“You can talk about throwing the football all you want. My belief is, if you want to win championships, at some point you have to be physical and run the football,” Nebraska’s second-year head coach told sportswriters and sportscasters at the Big 12 Football Media Days in Dallas.

Running the football helps your offense and helps you play good defense, Pelini said before correcting himself to say “great defense.”

You have to be able to do what you want to do and are supposed to do, and then do it, he said, adding that it’s the only way to take care of business.

That philosophy not only complements what Pelini expects to be a much improved Nebraska defense this season, but also plays to one of the Huskers’ greatest strengths – a proven tandem of junior running backs and a couple of newcomers who can only strengthen that position.

“I love our running backs. I love our running back position,” Pelini said, referring to California native Roy Helu Jr. and Texas native Quentin Castille. “Roy had a great year last year, and he’s ready to take it to another level. Quentin kind of stepped up at the end of the year. I feel real good about these guys.”

While he didn’t mention two Dallas-area incoming freshmen running backs by name, Pelini referred to Rex Burkhead from Plano and Dontrayevous Robinson from Euless. “We feel real good about the future of the program and where we are at the running back position,” he said.

Nebraska’s head coach confessed that the Huskers are “not even in the same galaxy” of where he wants to be defensively, but, he said, they’re going to play solid defense and will not be satisfied until they’re a dominant defensive team again.

One writer asked Pelini about the importance of a Blackshirt, and Pelini didn’t even blink before answering: “A Blackshirt is something kids take a lot of pride in. It’s a very special tradition in this program . . . one that will be here forever.”

Last year, Nebraska’s head coach said the Blackshirts were their own worst enemy in failing to meet a high level of expectations. He said part of the problem was coaching and part of the problem was players being accountable.

The most dramatic improvement on defense came in the Gator Bowl win over Clemson.

“It hasn’t been anything magical. We just started doing our job and playing more consistently,” Pelini said. “If we continue to do that, we’ll be able to compete with anybody.”

True to his nature, Pelini made no predictions, but he didn’t hide from great expectations either.

“Our talent level is better this year,” he said. “We’re young in some spots, and we’re not as deep as I want to be across the board. But we have enough resources. I think we’ll be a better football team.”

That was the closest thing to a prediction that Pelini made Monday.

Instead, he made sure the Big 12 media understood his clear-cut goal for the program. “We won’t be satisfied until we win ‘em all and compete for a national championship,” he said.

Three players – Helu, defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and offensive lineman Jacob Hickman – joined Pelini in representing Nebraska, the Big 12 North Division favorite, at the media sessions, which will continue Tuesday and Wednesday.

Pelini, the Huskers and all the other conference teams will be gunning for a return to Texas for the Dr. Pepper Big 12 Championship Game on Saturday, Dec. 5, at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Wow. That hurts about Burkes. I was expecting big things from him when he was healthy again.

Burkes was VERY likely done with football because of his medical problems.

However, his release was not related to that.

grades related?

Just off the field stuff.

Best thing though is while Pelini is the HC is to just get used to not knowing why or how in situations like these. Everything will almost always be kept under wraps.

Wow. That hurts about Burkes. I was expecting big things from him when he was healthy again.

Burkes was VERY likely done with football because of his medical problems.

However, his release was not related to that.

grades related?

Just off the field stuff.

Best thing though is while Pelini is the HC is to just get used to not knowing why or how in situations like these. Everything will almost always be kept under wraps.

i still haven't heard about his release though? :dunno

Do you mean you heard Pelini put it otherwise or what?

I know Pelini said he is not playing due to medical reasons. That is partly true and has been known for months he would not play. However, off the field stuff not medically related is what pushed this to be told now.

Jai is done with this team either way unless he can find some doctor in a podunk town somewhere to clear him, in which case Pelini would debate giving him an 18th chance.

And yes, that is a cheap shot at Pelini's punishment of players. Teaf and Andy still leave me amazed that Pelini would let them back.

Do you mean you heard Pelini put it otherwise or what?

I know Pelini said he is not playing due to medical reasons. That is partly true and has been known for months he would not play. However, off the field stuff not medically related is what pushed this to be told now.

Jai is done with this team either way unless he can find some doctor in a podunk town somewhere to clear him, in which case Pelini would debate giving him an 18th chance.

And yes, that is a cheap shot at Pelini's punishment of players. Teaf and Andy still leave me amazed that Pelini would let them back.

You're right...Teafatiller should've NEVER have been allowed to come back because it was seemingly one DUI after another.

Christensen on the other hand, was only in trouble this one time from what I know. And, either the charges were dropped or he was found not guilty. Under the circumstances Bo made the "right" decision.