Cy's Amazing Pre-Season Predictions

1. It's not that Kansas doesn't have a shot at beating the south teams...it's just the odds of doing so are slim to nill.

2. Nebraska beat Baylor last year and for all intents and purposes "beat" Texas Tech. Ergo, I'm expecting wins over BU and TT. Oklahoma, even in Lincoln, is still a scary proposition.

3. As far as the rest of the north opponents go, all the pressure is on you guys to win because of the experience you have coming back especially on offense. And, I simply think that when a team like Kansas is favored and expected to win they crumble.

JMO.

for all intents and purpose, you did not beat TT. UNL was expected to win the north in 07 and they crumbled so I could say the same about nebraska. I agree with the odds but we held our own against OU but just couldn't stop them in the 4thQ. I would say if you are going to look at last year we should be able to beat OU this year.

Interesting stat last year for you

Nebraska against 4 toughest opponents. VT, Mu, OU, TT

0-4

outscored 186 - 106

KU against 4 toughest opponents. MU, OU, TT, Tex

1-3

outscored 180 - 99

These two teams are so similar coming into this year that I just don't see how one is a clear cut above the other.

games number 4,5,6 and 9 (with the 9th being the 2nd best team in the country and the only one of the four played after October... with a new coaching staff and a whole new defensive system to learn)

games number 7,8,11 and 12 (with the one win being the last game of the season against a team that had been imploding since mid season... with virtually the same staff and system they've had their entire careers)

So Nebraska played almost all of their four toughest opponents before Kansas played their first, while at the same time learning a brand new defense and adjusting to a brand new coaching staff and yet gave up just 10 more points per game with one more loss? Pretty sure that puts Nebraska clearly a cut above Kansas, thanks though.

Oh and I'm sure Nebraska would have beat Texas if they played them late in the season!! Don't make me laugh! Your little break down fails miserably. Missouri beat you like a drum! I highly doubt you would have beat them if the game was played late in the year.

Just be glad you played Baylor instead of Texas last year. Just like this year. Your schedule sets up nicely.

1. It's not that Kansas doesn't have a shot at beating the south teams...it's just the odds of doing so are slim to nill.

2. Nebraska beat Baylor last year and for all intents and purposes "beat" Texas Tech. Ergo, I'm expecting wins over BU and TT. Oklahoma, even in Lincoln, is still a scary proposition.

3. As far as the rest of the north opponents go, all the pressure is on you guys to win because of the experience you have coming back especially on offense. And, I simply think that when a team like Kansas is favored and expected to win they crumble.

JMO.

for all intents and purpose, you did not beat TT. UNL was expected to win the north in 07 and they crumbled so I could say the same about nebraska. I agree with the odds but we held our own against OU but just couldn't stop them in the 4thQ. I would say if you are going to look at last year we should be able to beat OU this year.

Interesting stat last year for you

0-4

outscored 186 - 106

1-3

outscored 180 - 99

These two teams are so similar coming into this year that I just don't see how one is a clear cut above the other.

games number 4,5,6 and 9 (with the 9th being the 2nd best team in the country and the only one of the four played after October... with a new coaching staff and a whole new defensive system to learn)

games number 7,8,11 and 12 (with the one win being the last game of the season against a team that had been imploding since mid season... with virtually the same staff and system they've had their entire careers)

So Nebraska played almost all of their four toughest opponents before Kansas played their first, while at the same time learning a brand new defense and adjusting to a brand new coaching staff and yet gave up just 10 more points per game with one more loss? Pretty sure that puts Nebraska clearly a cut above Kansas, thanks though.

actually we played a ranked USF in our 3 or 4th game of the year. I just put the 4 toughest. you guys faced 3 ranked teams (ranked at the time you played) last year while KU played 5 and unl was just one game ahead of KU. for some reason you think KU had a terrible season last year while unl was outstanding. 1-4 against ranked teams compared to 0-3 for unl. you had 1 loss to an unranked team while KU didn't lose to anyone outside the top 25

I am really not that worried about KU. I am not sure why they think they are going to be so good with the oline that they have. I know that athlon's article was quoted, but it is proven that an oline that has not played together will not play good together. They might be better by Nov, but that will not help them much against NU's dline.

Our two best OL will be lining up against Suh. They got way better as the season went on last year and it showed in our running game. Over the final 7 games sharp was averaging 5 yrds a carry. Hawkinson is going to be a really good LT from what they are saying. Don't you guys have a pretty young OL this year?

Let's say you hold KU to 35 again this year. With what you are missing on O how do you score more than that?

Great points Jayhawker, but they don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear that even though Reesing was running for his life against them last year, he still threw for 304 yds and 3 TD's. So with that said, one can only assume that KU will score at least 35-40 points on Nebraska. How can Nebraska top that with a new QB and little experience at receiver? You can't run the ball everytime and expect to score 40 plus. You're not the Nebraska of the 90's.

i think they realize it's not the nebraska of the 90's. Their right side of their OL will be their weekness and with the improvement of KU's DL, they were good against the run last year, we should be able to keep them from scoring on every series. My prediction 42 - 24 KU.

From reports I've seen it appears KU's OL will be a bigger weakness. Plus replacing all your LBs, a still suspect secondary and switching defensive formations. Gives me the conclusion that our Huskers will return to the the Big-XII championship game.

I am really not that worried about KU. I am not sure why they think they are going to be so good with the oline that they have. I know that athlon's article was quoted, but it is proven that an oline that has not played together will not play good together. They might be better by Nov, but that will not help them much against NU's dline.

Our two best OL will be lining up against Suh. They got way better as the season went on last year and it showed in our running game. Over the final 7 games sharp was averaging 5 yrds a carry. Hawkinson is going to be a really good LT from what they are saying. Don't you guys have a pretty young OL this year?

Let's say you hold KU to 35 again this year. With what you are missing on O how do you score more than that?

Great points Jayhawker, but they don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear that even though Reesing was running for his life against them last year, he still threw for 304 yds and 3 TD's. So with that said, one can only assume that KU will score at least 35-40 points on Nebraska. How can Nebraska top that with a new QB and little experience at receiver? You can't run the ball everytime and expect to score 40 plus. You're not the Nebraska of the 90's.

i think they realize it's not the nebraska of the 90's. Their right side of their OL will be their weekness and with the improvement of KU's DL, they were good against the run last year, we should be able to keep them from scoring on every series. My prediction 42 - 24 KU.

From reports I've seen it appears KU's OL will be a bigger weakness. Plus replacing all your LBs, a still suspect secondary and switching defensive formations. Gives me the conclusion that our Huskers will return to the the Big-XII championship game.

the reports i've seen and linked says the OL will not be as bad as last years. Your replacing your QB, and your top WR's plus your entire right side of your OL. You are losing 14 tds from your O. The D switch is going to help out our weakness at LB and the LB's this year are bigger and faster than the three we lost. Apparently you have never heard of Stuckey? With your suspect LB's and DB's I come to the conclusion that KU will play in it's first B12 title game.

the reports i've seen and linked says the OL will not be as bad as last years. Your replacing your QB, and your top WR's plus your entire right side of your OL. You are losing 14 tds from your O. The D switch is going to help out our weakness at LB and the LB's this year are bigger and faster than the three we lost. Apparently you have never heard of Stuckey? With your suspect LB's and DB's I come to the conclusion that KU will play in it's first B12 title game.

And that post is what I consider to be "drunk on Kool-Aid" response. Yeah I've heard of Stuckey, but who else have you got?................Anybody?...................

But I digress, we'll just have to wait for that Saturday in November to see what's what.

And that post is what I consider to be "drunk on Kool-Aid" response. Yeah I've heard of Stuckey, but who else have you got?................Anybody?...................

But I digress, we'll just have to wait for that Saturday in November to see what's what.

I can't wait for that November evening in Lawrence my Husker friend. That we can agree on.

funny that kool-aid was invented in nebraska.

and how is that drunk on kool-aid? you ignoring the problems the huskers have would be kool-aid drinking.

to answer your ?

One player who ­didn’t have many problems was safety Darrell Stuckey, an All-Big 12 performer who was named to the Lott Trophy Watch List. A senior, Stuckey is hoping for help from fellow safety Phillip Strozier, who started the final six games last season. Senior cornerback Justin Thornton is back after missing last year’s Insight Bowl for disciplinary reasons. A former safety, Thornton is a big-play defender with good size (6'1", 213). He has seven career interceptions. Former receiver Daymond Patterson is a speedster who was moved to cornerback midway through his true freshman season in 2008. Look for Anthony Davis and Lubbock Smith, who attended tradition-rich Carter High School in Dallas, to enter the season as backups.

JMO.

I am not sure I think Tech will be as good as commonly thought on this board. I hate that we play them in Lubbock, but they are much more beatable this year.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume you will score 35-40 points. Also, our running game will be featured and relied on more this year. Helu had around 150 yrds on the ground and 2 tds lasts year.... NU's D will be improved and the offensive game plan will be focused controlling the ball and chewing clock.. I'd hold off on just chalking up 40 pts

wow, according to the OL experience meter. OU is going to suck this year.

OU 29 starts

KU 26 starts

Glad you brought that up Jayhawker. Does everyone on this board remember how much time Bradford had to throw last year??? I saw a stat that said he had an average of 6-8 seconds in the pocket and he usually waited until at least the 5-6 second mark to throw the ball! There was really only 1 game where he had to scramble for his life and that was against Florida, and we all know the result of that game!!!

This could be a glaring weakness for OU if Bradford proves to not be able to take the heat. Heck, I could find open receivers with 7 seconds to throw!! :clap

Putting the caliber of OU's oline and KU's oline in the same sentence is quite a stretch. Honestly, are you saying that the oline at KU is as good as OU...athletically and physically?? Maybe I am missing something here. I am in no way saying that NU's line is at the same caliber as OU, but you have to look at NU's dline and it is going to be good.

Our Kansas friends have some really rosy glasses through which they view last year's game. Kansas earned a mere 28 points in the game, against a defense still learning the system. The garbage-time touchdown scored with two minutes to play makes them feel better about the outcome, but it was still a ten-point loss against a learning defense.

I dig the optimism, I really do. I like the Jayhawks and really think they've got a good team. But let's not lose touch with what really happened last year.

Our Kansas friends have some really rosy glasses through which they view last year's game. Kansas earned a mere 28 points in the game, against a defense still learning the system. The garbage-time touchdown scored with two minutes to play makes them feel better about the outcome, but it was still a ten-point loss against a learning defense.

I dig the optimism, I really do. I like the Jayhawks and really think they've got a good team. But let's not lose touch with what really happened last year.

Just another reason why I can't wait to get you Huskers back in Lawrence. :clap

i guess i could pull the old, Sharp with broken ribs, meyer injured, reesing injured but still scored against your D defense.

i guess i could pull the old, Sharp with broken ribs, meyer injured, reesing injured but still scored against your D defense.

I cannot believe so many of my Big Red faithful think a victory in Lawrence is so assured. The teams are fairly equal on paper and they have HFA. Underestimating the Hawks is a bad idea, IMO. Yes, they have an inexperience OL, but we have an inexperienced QB who hasn't really played many meaningful downs. If I had to bet, I would probably bet on NU, mainly because we're better on paper, but there's a reason we play the games.