Cy's Amazing Pre-Season Predictions

Of the many Husker fans I personally know, I'm the one least underestimating the Jayhawks. I will (and have, right here on these boards) fully admit they could beat us in Lawrence this year. They have a good team. Not once will you see me detract from Reesing, Meier, Sharp or Briscoe. These are talented players. Mangino is a good coach. Kansas is a good team.

But I have a good idea what they are. And I have a good idea what the Huskers are. And from what I know of both teams, I'm fairly confident in saying that game in Lawrence is in no way a sure win for the Jayhawks. I feel confident that the Huskers can win this game.

I don't know how to say it more plainly than that.

Of the many Husker fans I personally know, I'm the one least underestimating the Jayhawks. I will (and have, right here on these boards) fully admit they could beat us in Lawrence this year. They have a good team. Not once will you see me detract from Reesing, Meier, Sharp or Briscoe. These are talented players. Mangino is a good coach. Kansas is a good team.

But I have a good idea what they are. And I have a good idea what the Huskers are. And from what I know of both teams, I'm fairly confident in saying that game in Lawrence is in no way a sure win for the Jayhawks. I feel confident that the Huskers can win this game.

I don't know how to say it more plainly than that.

i think deep down 90% of both sides feel almost the same way, obviously i believe the jayhawks can win that game.

Great points Jayhawker, but they don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear that even though Reesing was running for his life against them last year, he still threw for 304 yds and 3 TD's. So with that said, one can only assume that KU will score at least 35-40 points on Nebraska. How can Nebraska top that with a new QB and little experience at receiver? You can't run the ball everytime and expect to score 40 plus. You're not the Nebraska of the 90's.

Why do I see Kansas fans keep saying things like, "You're not the Nebraska of the 90's"?

Correct - we are not the Nebraska of the 90's - it's absurd to even assume we're not aware of that, but please realize we're also not Nebraska under Callahan either now. That seems to be what many of you can't get past. Recent history in your stadium means very little right now, other than a few handful of leftover players that played in one or both of those two games Callahan coached in Lawrence, who were taught to do things differently, by different people, than they are now. In much the same way, you would not compare the Jayhawks under Allen to the Jayhawks under Mangino. Would you?

Did Mangino improve KU's program after Allen left? Damn straight, he did. Aren't the Jayhawks playing at the highest level they ever have in recent memory? Damn straight, they are. Do you think that can only be unique to Kansas where a bad coach is replaced with a better one and gets the team playing better than before? You're kidding yourself if you think only Kansas can pull that off.

You hired a good coach in Mangino, and he knows how the college game must be played and the effort that must be given to achieve goals. But, guess what - we hired such a man, too.

PS. I'm sorry if our defense featuring several walk-ons and a converted linebacker gave up too many yards to the Jayhawks last year. We promise to do better next time.

Great points Jayhawker, but they don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear that even though Reesing was running for his life against them last year, he still threw for 304 yds and 3 TD's. So with that said, one can only assume that KU will score at least 35-40 points on Nebraska. How can Nebraska top that with a new QB and little experience at receiver? You can't run the ball everytime and expect to score 40 plus. You're not the Nebraska of the 90's.

Why do I see Kansas fans keep saying things like, "You're not the Nebraska of the 90's"?

Correct - we are not the Nebraska of the 90's - it's absurd to even assume we're not aware of that, but please realize we're also not Nebraska under Callahan either now. That seems to be what many of you can't get past. Recent history in your stadium means very little right now, other than a few handful of leftover players that played in one or both of those two games Callahan coached in Lawrence, who were taught to do things differently, by different people, than they are now. In much the same way, you would not compare the Jayhawks under Allen to the Jayhawks under Mangino. Would you?

Did Mangino improve KU's program after Allen left? Damn straight, he did. Aren't the Jayhawks playing at the highest level they ever have in recent memory? Damn straight, they are. Do you think that can only be unique to Kansas where a bad coach is replaced with a better one and gets the team playing better than before? You're kidding yourself if you think only Kansas can pull that off.

You hired a good coach in Mangino, and he knows how the college game must be played and the effort that must be given to achieve goals. But, guess what - we hired such a man, too.

PS. I'm sorry if our defense featuring several walk-ons and a converted linebacker gave up too many yards to the Jayhawks last year. We promise to do better next time.

i think my fellow hawks saying that is because that's really all we have. We can't throw championships in your face so they go with the "it ain't the 90's". I do think Bo is a good coach and has you guys pointed in the right direction. You must understand that a ton of my fellow fans do not believe that Bo is a good coach and that last year was just another 2006. Our main point is that Callahan was the worst coach the huskers have ever had but you guys still weren't horrible except for 2007. Didn't Callahan take you to the B12CG in 2006? As KU fans we just realize it wasn't as bad as you guys think during Callahan, it obviously seems that way to you guys though. Our bball fans would feel the same way if we fell to 5-6 best team in the B12 for a few years or didn't make the NCAA's. We would be calling for the head of that coach.

I also think since most KU fans don't live in this state they do not understand what callahan truly was doing off the field, taking down the pictures of huskers, destroying the blackshirt tradition, not allowing formers players on the field. In truth we wish you would have given callahan a few more years to keep dragging you down.

First, nice job on the predictions Cy...

Second, I think all the discussion following those predictions shows how differently people's opinions are before fall practice has really started rolling. Everyone should be optimistic and has the right to believe their team can do well, but until they strap em up, all we are talking about is potential (and what 'could happen'). And this is why I really hate preseason polls (as well as having polls for the first few weeks of the year). Everyone can believe that 'so-n-so will set it up or fill some shoes' this year, or that 'inexperience' will catch up..

I just do not think that someone's prediction poll should impact a team later in the year just because they were ranked too low before. Right?

Personally, I'm 50/50 on the KU game, primarily because it's in Lawence and the team could mistake all the red in the stands for those stange red jerseys KU pulls out on occasion.

BTW, it seems to me that the "toughest" games on your schedule would have been the ones you lost. If memory serves, didn't you go 0-5 in those "toughest' games. Really, when comparing Ws to Ls last year, your claim to fame is a W over Mu who, by that time, had thourghly imploded. Maybe you should consider how many Ws you had over the team that you claim to be better than. JMO

BTW, I actually think you might have a punchers chance against Ou at home. They come to KU after whats sure to be a fight in Dallas while KU comes back from a likely win in Boulder with a lot of confidence. It could happen. I wish good luck to you 10/24. Not so much 11/14

Turner, Suh, and Allen get it done against KU's offensive line leaving Reesing running for his life. Huskers get it done in Lawrence.

Up until May I was utterly confident in a Husker win in Lawrence. Now I am convinced that the Jayhawks win.

The reason? Nebraska OWNED Kansas until one event happened. My son (a Husker fan) enrolled at KU in 2005. What followed: two big losses. I thought, OK - so now he graduates and order is restored. Well fine, he can't find a job, decides to go back to school and for student loan purposes doesn't put his paper work in to officially graduate. GREAT. One more miserable loss to the Hawks. Yeach

BTW, I actually think you might have a punchers chance against Ou at home. They come to KU after whats sure to be a fight in Dallas while KU comes back from a likely win in Boulder with a lot of confidence. It could happen. I wish good luck to you 10/24. Not so much 11/14

Sure, it could happen - ANYthing can happen. (Any given saturday), but go check Stoops' record after the Red River game. For that matter, check Mack Brown's record as well. Now, I will say they play maybe a little less intensely after the RRR, being emotionally and physically spent, but W/L the week after that game traditionally is not in favor of OU (or UT's) opponent. However, this could be a first. A first one has to start somewhere, right?

I would normally root for the 'hawks in a game like this, but sorry, not this year. Seems like a 50/50 split from the media, etc, on NU/KU winning the north. Not rooting for KU to get a conference win this year.

Personally, I'm 50/50 on the KU game, primarily because it's in Lawence and the team could mistake all the red in the stands for those stange red jerseys KU pulls out on occasion.

BTW, it seems to me that the "toughest" games on your schedule would have been the ones you lost. If memory serves, didn't you go 0-5 in those "toughest' games. Really, when comparing Ws to Ls last year, your claim to fame is a W over Mu who, by that time, had thourghly imploded. Maybe you should consider how many Ws you had over the team that you claim to be better than. JMO

your mistaken if you think there will be more red in the stands than Blue. very mistaken. that hasn't happened since about 2003 or 2001

I love your passion jayhawker i really do. I dont know what this team is going to do this year until we face VT. That is the pinnacle of our season. If we can prove a solid win against them we will have the confidence to face our (quote, unquote) lesser teams. You have a great leader on the field but what you achieved last year might not be so easily done this year. We have an unproven Q but are also better in areas we were lacking in last year. And the improvements we made last year until the end cannot be denied. I dont know, i need to let you know after the vtec game what happens.