Castille rejuvenated after trip home

Huskerextra.com

Steven M. Sipple: I-back Castille rejuvenated after trip home

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2009 - 12:16:08 am CDT

It’s all systems go in the promising Nebraska backfield.

Roy Helu Jr. and Quentin Castille — the Huskers’ potentially lethal 1-2 punch at I-back — are healthy in body, mind and spirit.

At least that’s the report after four days of preseason camp.

Helu has recovered well from a hamstring injury suffered last spring.

Castille, meanwhile, pushes forward despite an imperfect summer.

Details are sketchy, but Castille said he left Lincoln “for a couple weeks, or something like that,” during Nebraska’s summer workout program that precedes preseason camp. He went home to La Porte, Texas, and worked out on his own, he said.

“I left for a little bit just to try to get some things right,” said the 6-foot-1, 235-pound junior. “Coach (Bo) Pelini, he allowed me to do that. I came back and my teammates took me back as a player and as a friend and as one of the team leaders.

“It hurt leaving. But when I came back, I felt like the guys were still on my side. That’s a positive to me.”

Castille said he stayed in contact with teammates during his time in Texas.

“It wasn’t like I left the team or got suspended,” he said.

Nebraska senior wideout Menelik Holt said his concerns about Castille have subsided.

“He’s at his goal weight, and moving really fast,” Holt said. “He did miss a little bit this summer. We didn’t want any letup from anybody, and that’s something we explained to him. But he came back in shape and ready to go.

“Whenever a guy’s away from the team for that amount of time, some things might be lost like chemistry. But Q’s pretty self-motivated. The first thing he told me when he got back is he wants to get a starting spot. A lot of people think Roy’s definitely that No. 1 guy, but I think Quentin’s making a big push.”

As rumors spread about Castille this summer, Nebraska fans were understandably uneasy. But Pelini didn’t sound the least bit concerned Monday.

“He came (into preseason camp) in very good shape,” Pelini said. “I think he’s mentally ready to go.”

In preseason camp, “I want to see him be a leader,” the coach said. “I want to see him step up and be accountable to everybody, and step up and show us he’s someone we can depend on every down.”

Helu (803 yards rushing last season) and Castille (467) complement each other well. The 6-foot, 215-pound Helu, also a junior, can juke defenders, but also can lower his pads and punish defenders between the tackles.

Castille has good feet and overall athleticism for a man his size.

To be sure, Castille’s physicalness in particular gives Nebraska’s offense an imposing feel, reminiscent of the program’s run-oriented glory days.

Castille said he and Helu get along well not only on the field, “but off the field, we work together all the time. Studying and stuff like that. And he’s gotten me more into the Bible part of my life. He’s helping me a lot right now.”

Yes, of course, Castille would like to start, but he said he mostly just wants to contribute any way he can.

“I feel this year could be a big year for us,” he said. “Coach Pelini always talks about restoring the tradition, and that’s what we’re here to do.”

“Here” being the key word in Castille’s case.

Don't go head-casing on us, Q!!! We need you back there, man!

We're stocked at RB with the incoming youngsters, so maybe Castille just felt a lot of pressure about keeping his job. By all accounts those "voluntary" workouts this summer were highly intense, and that can get to a guy. Hopefully this is all worked out and he's ready to get out there and crack some pads.

Just ask that ISU safety

Can you and AXL do any more of this? dedhoarse

I probably f'ing could, you want me to?

Wasnt it the KSU safety? ISU safeties would have been nowhere near Q as they are usually dancing and frolicking about the field and more often than not in the opposite direction of the ball.

Maybe your right.