Greg Paulus

I don't think that'll be a problem. Keller got hurt two years ago, but I can't remember when a Husker QB got knocked out of the season in-game before that. Someone help me remember the last time this happened...?

knaaplc, I believe it would be 1998. I don't know about out for the season, but we had a rash of significant injuries at QB that year, if I recall. Both Newcombe and Crouch were down at various times.

Here's my take. If Lee either gets injured or just sucks up the place, I want to play the one that will be here next year and the year after that and the year after that. I'd rather take my lumps starting a true freshman than have a one year wonder come in. Bringing in Keller was stupid. Bringing in Paulus would have been just as stupid. It totally disrupts team unity.

Ah and again we hear from the greatest fans in college football.

What? We're simply saying that we're glad he didn't come here. Or is that not allowed? I wish Paulus all the best, but I'm glad he didn't come here.

1. With the type of offense Nebraska runs, which is a hybrid of the west coast, zone read and spread, there is no way a QB can come in and learn the offense well enough to play as a first year player.

2. Paulus has 1 year of eligibility and to think that he'd come here and beat out Zac Lee is ridiculous.

3. When a coaching staff brings in a Kellar or Paulus they are essentially telling the players already on the roster they have no faith or confidence in them.

4. Syracuse is terrible right now...in every facet of the game. Furthermore, their OL is flat out atrocious. It will be nothing short of a miracle if Paulus makes it through the season without a major injury.

Ah, yes, the "greatest fans" argument. You're not the "greatest fans" if you ever utter something that's not nice! You're not the "greatest fans" if you've ever had a naughty thought!

It's like Santa Claus monitors these boards, looking for who's naughty or nice, and if you're not nice by gum, out comes the "greatest fans" line again. He's checked his list twice, Jen, and we're not the "greatest fans" anymore because you uttered a discouraging word! For shame!!!11!!!eleven!

Point 3, well taken. Bringing in a one year wonder screams hey everyone we're in terrible shape at QB, and we have absolutely zero faith in the ones we recruited.

And if you look at Syracuse, they fit that to a "T" with the QBs they have. Cam Dantley was horrid last year, bad enough that they'd welcome Paulus to at least try for the job. Their other option was a redshirt freshman who will most likely go in if Paulus gets hurt or stinks it up, so they have nothing to lose by bringing the guy in for one year.

Syracuse was 3-9 last year with wins over Northeastern, Louisville and Notre Dame, three schools most people have never heard of (well, Louisville is well-known). So it doesn't hurt them one iota to give the reins to Paulus and see what he can do.

Keller seemed like a favor. Nothing more other than a promise to an old friend. No advantage, more cons than could be counted, but we welcomed him with open arms just the way Paulus would have been.

They always look better in our red to some.

The difference is Paulus was a winner, a finisher, a team player. Keller was a mal content, problem child, partier.

Paulus would do every bit as well as Keller and my guess is as well as Zac other than knowledge of the system.

He played at en elite basketball program. He knows the effort required, the dedication and loyalty to make it.

He has the talent and would have had the summer to learn and improve. Ability wise most likely better than Zac, but time in the system would be the thing that gave Zac the advantage. But my guess is he would have been pushed before the season was over.

But I would never have wanted him to show up and play here. We need to establish loyalty to the program and to the players that are paying the price from the beginning. BC destroyed team chemistry with Keller, I am glad Coach Pelini did not pursue Paulus. It shows faith in his players and gives them confidence down the road.

Good luck to him though.

If playing at an elite level and having will and dedication and loyalty and boatloads of talent is all it takes to make a star in most any sport, then Michael Jordan should have done very well in his baseball career. But that's not all it takes, because not all sports are the same. Being a gifted athlete at one sport doesn't mean you're gifted at all of them (ask Michael about his golf game, too), and the four years of rust Paulus has to knock off are going to be a problem. Imagine going into Blacksburg with a QB whose only significant playing time since High School, four years ago, was against FAU and Arkansas State. We'd get destroyed.

I wish Paulus well at Syracuse, too. But I don't want him within a mile of our starting QB spot.

Ok Knapplc, Im not saying I would want Palus here either, but you are comparing apples to oranges here. How does Michael Jordan and his baseball career or golf career relate in any way to what Palus is trying to do?

The last time I checked Michael Jordan was never a 5 star recruit in baseball coming out of college nor a division one golf recruit. If you'd take a little time to do your research, Palus was a 5 star recruit in football, that could have chosen almost any D1 program to attend that he wanted. At the same time though, he was also very highly rated as a basketball player. He chose to attend Duke and play basketball instead of football. Do I think he will be outstanding as a QB with a short time to learn a system? I doubt that he will be great. However, if he can catch on to the system rather quickly he obviously has the athletic ability to be a descent QB.

Michael Jordan was just attempting to try a sport that he thought he was pretty descent at. Maybe you know something that I dont, but Im pretty sure he was no major recruit in any sport other than Basketball coming out of Highschool!!!

:box:rant

Ok Knapplc, Im not saying I would want Palus here either, but you are comparing apples to oranges here. How does Michael Jordan and his baseball career or golf career relate in any way to what Palus is trying to do?

The last time I checked Michael Jordan was never a 5 star recruit in baseball coming out of college nor a division one golf recruit. If you'd take a little time to do your research, Palus was a 5 star recruit in football, that could have chosen almost any D1 program to attend that he wanted. At the same time though, he was also very highly rated as a basketball player. He chose to attend Duke and play basketball instead of football. Do I think he will be outstanding as a QB with a short time to learn a system? I doubt that he will be great. However, if he can catch on to the system rather quickly he obviously has the athletic ability to be a descent QB.

Michael Jordan was just attempting to try a sport that he thought he was pretty descent at. Maybe you know something that I dont, but Im pretty sure he was no major recruit in any sport other than Basketball coming out of Highschool!!!

I don't think you could have missed the point any worse had you been aiming in the opposite direction. :clap