Greg Paulus

Ok Knapplc, Im not saying I would want Palus here either, but you are comparing apples to oranges here. How does Michael Jordan and his baseball career or golf career relate in any way to what Palus is trying to do?

The last time I checked Michael Jordan was never a 5 star recruit in baseball coming out of college nor a division one golf recruit. If you'd take a little time to do your research, Palus was a 5 star recruit in football, that could have chosen almost any D1 program to attend that he wanted. At the same time though, he was also very highly rated as a basketball player. He chose to attend Duke and play basketball instead of football. Do I think he will be outstanding as a QB with a short time to learn a system? I doubt that he will be great. However, if he can catch on to the system rather quickly he obviously has the athletic ability to be a descent QB.

Michael Jordan was just attempting to try a sport that he thought he was pretty descent at. Maybe you know something that I dont, but Im pretty sure he was no major recruit in any sport other than Basketball coming out of Highschool!!!

I don't think you could have missed the point any worse had you been aiming in the opposite direction. :clap

Thats just it pal.... You had NO point!!! You were comparing apples to oranges! But then again you are king so.... :worship

Absolutely not! Paulus will be nothing but a one year wonder, IF he even makes it through a whole year playing behind that awful O line.

Can anyone tell me that you truly believe Paulus would have even come close to winning the starting job from Zac Lee? Or could have been anything more than a mop up scrub and insurance policy at NU?

If so, then you either have no idea just how talented Lee really is. Or are a pathologically "grass is always greener" person. Which unfortunately more and more Husker fans seem to be lately.

No, I am neither of those. I was simply just striking up discussion about the topic.. I've known how good Lee is for a long while now.

I just find a strange twist of fate, that Witt leaves, Paulus considers coming here, Spano tears his ACL, is back to 100%, tears his ACL again, and Paulus is now named starting QB at Syracuse. I was one of the few who did not want Sam Keller starting at QB in 07. I do not believe in bringing in a one year hired gun to play QB for our team.

Bill from Lincoln believes in that though. :rant

I had a point that you didn't understand because you're looking for a 1:1 analogy, while no such thing exists. Since none exists, you have to think a little outside the box.

Since Michael Jordan's failed baseball career didn't make sense to you, try looking up Deion Sanders' career, or Bo Jackson's. Go look up Tony Gonzalez, if you must have a football/basketball comparator, but realize that through college Gonzalez never stopped playing both sports so again, it's not a 1:1 analogy.

The point is that athleticism doesn't overcome rust. It's not enough to simply be "athletic" because everyone on that field from the wide receivers to the fat, ugly linemen are athletic at this level. His athleticism may prevent him from getting killed, but if athleticism was all it took to go from one sport to another, even one you used to be talented in five years ago, more people would do it.

But they don't. And there's a reason for that. And that reason has a lot to do with why Nebraska and Michigan and every other school but Syracuse (who is completely desperate for a QB) didn't let him come in.

I was one of the few who did not want Sam Keller starting at QB in 07. I do not believe in bringing in a one year hired gun to play QB for our team.

I had a friend on ASU team and he was explaining to me how the team couldn't stand Keller. I knew it was something for a team (especially seniors) to put there season in the hands of a SO QB. This just goes to the terrible decision making of the coach that isn't here anymore.

I selfishly wanted him in Lincoln just to save a redshirt or two.

But Syracuse is the perfect fit for him..They have a new coach so both are starting from scratch..He was a local hero in hs and by announcing him as the starter now, probably will help out season ticket sales/interest.

If he really sucks, he can be benched after the first series.

i don't remember this big of a debate on the guy when he was even "thinking" of coming to Lincoln... :wacko:

Agreed. There shouldn't even be a debate now.

I'm done with this conversation. We'll let the play on the field show everyone, on either side of the question, how lucky/unlucky we are that we don't have Mr. Paulus here.

i don't remember this big of a debate on the guy when he was even "thinking" of coming to Lincoln... :wacko:

Agreed. There shouldn't even be a debate now.

I'm done with this conversation. We'll let the play on the field show everyone, on either side of the question, how lucky/unlucky we are that we don't have Mr. Paulus here.

Go back and read your original post. You said that just because you are athletic and good at one sport doesnt mean you will be good at others and to look at Michael's golf career. The point is.... He was obviously good at football to hence the 5 star rating!!! Nobody ever said he was good at track or anyother sport for that matter! The facts are there. He had a choice between football and basketball. Its very apparent that he was also a very good football player coming out of highschool or he wouldnt have been rated that high. So apparently the potential is there!!! Thats why you were comparing apples to oranges. Nobody knew anything about Jordans baseball ability before he tried it out!!!

Obviously you were missing MY point!!! You were basically leaving a big question mark in regards to him being good enough to cut in in football. No he didnt prove anything on the field yet but he was quite hearlded before he ever decided to put on a BB uniform! Its not like he was just some guy with a basketball scholly that decided he'd give football a shot! The guy was a major talent coming out of highschool and decided to stick with basketball only at the time!

Jen, 83

Read my post. I said that under no circumstance would I want him coming in. I did not want Keller and stated it many times, ask 37 about our comments years ago.

I was commenting on the descriptions of the individual, that I felt were out of place.

I said due to his talent he might push Lee during the season.

You are all putting a lot of faith in a 3rd string QB from last year with two pass completions. Not a lot of faith in him last year by this coaching staff. By attrition he becomes our starter (most likely) and he is a great addition.

If Kansas or Missouri, Colorado or KState were making these comments you would be throwing them under the bus for shear stupidity.

We have no idea if the kid can play at all, nothing proven on the field. Talent normally wins out was my thought.

I know the coaches are saying great things about him. But what do you expect them to say. We can not just bring in Farve like they do in the pros. Coach Speak my friends. Hope it isn't but he will have to prove it to me on the field. Ganz did it so it is possible. But the opposite is just as possible.

This is a tuff one. Wherever Paulus went, I assume he intended to start. Otherwise what would be the point of playing college fb for one year just to sit on the bench.

He almost certainly would not have started her. Lee is much more familiar with the offence than Paulus could have ever been.

That being said, I do think Athleticism could sometimes overcome "rust".

Perfect example. Lebron James. I dont know if he has ever played a down of football in his life. But, he is a freak athlete. People all the time speculate how he could be as a tight-end in the NFL. Would Lebron ever even consider playing football? Hell no. But if he did, he could maybe get some playing time.

Players like Antonio Gates, who played both basketball and football, could be successful in both sports.

Athleticism is athleticism, plain and simple.

This is a tuff one. Wherever Paulus went, I assume he intended to start. Otherwise what would be the point of playing college fb for one year just to sit on the bench.

He almost certainly would not have started her. Lee is much more familiar with the offence than Paulus could have ever been.

That being said, I do think Athleticism could sometimes overcome "rust".

Perfect example. Lebron James. I dont know if he has ever played a down of football in his life. But, he is a freak athlete. People all the time speculate how he could be as a tight-end in the NFL. Would Lebron ever even consider playing football? Hell no. But if he did, he could maybe get some playing time.

Players like Antonio Gates, who played both basketball and football, could be successful in both sports.

Athleticism is athleticism, plain and simple.

Lebron played Football in highschool and could have very well played it in college. Even if he started playing now I bet he would have some success because he is 6-9, 250 pounds and runs a 4.4