The Jump

This is a good article from Huskerpedia about coaches who've taken their team to another level by year two, and addresses the question of whether or not Nebraska can do it. I love articles like this, and it makes you optimistic about this season. I like to think we'll make big progress in this year and even more in 2010. Enjoy.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/pelin...charm-1.1817291

I think it will be harder to do now, than when Bob D. took over. The staff he had stayed and a lot of them just rolled over with TO, when he took the reins.

Watson probably won't be around after the next couple of years. Even if someone under him takes over, it doesn't always work out [ See Solich].

I would hate to see that the coaches coming in to replace who ever leaves, that they will look at Nebraska as just a stepping stone to a bigger job some where else. I think it will be hard to keep coaches like we used to, unless we get some former Huskers to coach. IMO

GBR!!!

The Jump is real. Just ask Oklahoma, Ohio State or Florida.

Each school won a national championship in its second year with a new head coach.

Year two under the leadership of coach Bo Pelini is an important time for a Cornhusker program attempting to return to consistent success. Improved team chemistry and development as well as a better understanding of team expectations could set NU’s players up for a big season.

“This is the most excited we’ve been heading into camp since we’ve been here,” junior defensive end Pierre Allen said. “We set the bar high last year.”

The Jump isn’t a magical occurrence based entirely on luck. It requires relentless effort and dedication as well as a solid foundation established in year one.

“We’re worried about putting in a good, hard day’s work every single day and keep putting that money in the bank, so when it comes to Saturday, we’re prepared and ready to go,” coach Bo Pelini said at the Big 12 media days last month.

Is NU ready to cash in and enjoy The Jump?

“This team is poised for that moment,” tight ends coach Ron Brown said. “The second year is very important. You make a big jump. When you get something under your belt and you get your paradigms figured out, you’re able to discover your identity.”

Great story, read the rest of it here. Definitely gets me pumped up for September 5th, this is gonna be a big year! GBR

I think it will be harder to do now, than when Bob D. took over. The staff he had stayed and a lot of them just rolled over with TO, when he took the reins.

Watson probably won't be around after the next couple of years. Even if someone under him takes over, it doesn't always work out [ See Solich].

I would hate to see that the coaches coming in to replace who ever leaves, that they will look at Nebraska as just a stepping stone to a bigger job some where else. I think it will be hard to keep coaches like we used to, unless we get some former Huskers to coach. IMO

GBR!!!

"The Jump" is about year 1 to year 2, and all of the coaches are back from last year, so whether the coaches stay or go doesn't mean anything for this discussion.

IMO, NU is going to have a large "The Jump" this season. I'm not sure how that'll workout in terms of wins and losses, but I think we'll be challenging for the conference title this season.

If it does not translate into wins and losses being better there will not be a jump, losses would indicate a fall.

Again a lot of preasure being put on the staff, with a 3rd string QB starting.

My guess is we will make a jump, but it will be a small one, 9-3 regular season.

Remember also 2008 Alabama and 2002 USC. Saban went 12-0 regular season after he went 7-6 first season. Carroll went 12-2 and won the Orange Bowl after going 6-6 first season.

The second year jump is very real for great coaches at tradition rich schools. It can happen here too! We just have to hope and cheer as loud as we can.

If the second year "jump" does not happen, we'll hope for a third year "jump"