Burkhead Number 2

In order to not derail the WTF Castille? thread I'll put this here.

We know our offense isn't as complicated as it used to be before Watson threw half the playbook in the trash can. That said, it is still a big jump from high school, and certainly the D-1 adjustment is huge. Pelini recently stated that Burkhead had already worked his way into a number two spot, meaning if Roy My Boy goes down, we've got a true freshman toting the load for this team (next to a first year starter at QB).

Now the question is this: Is Burkhead number two because he's that damn good, or is it that our other backs aren't as good as we thought?

I don't like to predict doom and gloom, but our offense now has several positions where an injury could turn the tide of the season.

If I recall Roy and Q both played as true freshman and that was in he who shall not be named circus tent sized play book. Rex just has the IT that all coaches look for. It has been noted by every one of his coaches throughout HS and even during the fall camp. Many thought he'd push for time on the field this year back when he signed. He was in my eyes the prize recruit from last year and I think he will blow up on the scene this year. Maybe to the point we quit having threads started about the USC's, Florida's and other big time schools having success out of their freshman and we don't.

Tear em up Rex

:restore

Well, I think this season will go as our O-Line goes. If the line gels well enough and are as good as I hope they are, then the guys in the backfield, whoever they may be, don't even need to be world beating guys with the "IT" factor. They just need to be capable enough.

I obviously hope for more than "capable enough", but the o-line will be asked to do a lot for the team this year.

rex is a stud. i think (hoping) that he can be an all-time nebraska great. maybe just a little too early to make that statement but he was going to get some carries anyway this year.

this is going to be fun to watch

:clap

Can't erase the past, so look forward to the future! Go tear it up with Roy, Rex!

I think that the first two games Rex will answer alot of questions as to if he (as a true freshman) can handle the #2 spot. If he can perform well against FAU and Ark St. then i have confidence that he can handle it. If he performs mediocre or not so good, i dont seem him playing #2 against Va Tech, instead i can see Mendoza (depending on if he is ready in such a short time) to back-up Roy, though i feel that Roy will more than likely play the entire game.

Now i havent seen any comment from the coaching staff that Mendoza is in fact playing RB this year, all we heard is that he was seen practicing with them, that could just mean that he is doing reps with them just for coaches to see where he is should they need to put him that spot during the season.

Burkhead has alot of pressure on him, especially as a true freshman coming in and trying to fill Castille's shoes, i hope that he can handle himself and show us he is capable of that #2 spot. Let's all wish this young man one hellva season!

Rex obviously has the playmaking skills, I will be more interested in how he handles all of the little things that make an offense successful. Will he stone a blitzing LB, learn how to float out as a safety valve for the QB, etc. Good news is that every single piece on Rex has always talked about how smart and heady he is, how he is absolutely willing to stop at nothing to ensure a win (very Derek Jeter-like in that regard), and how he is a gamer. I think he is the kind of player that gets more pride out of doing all of those other things you need to win as opposed to racking up stats, I really hope that is true because I have no doubt about his ability to get those stats.