Burkhead Number 2

I think that the first two games Rex will answer alot of questions as to if he (as a true freshman) can handle the #2 spot. If he can perform well against FAU and Ark St. then i have confidence that he can handle it. If he performs mediocre or not so good, i dont seem him playing #2 against Va Tech, instead i can see Mendoza (depending on if he is ready in such a short time) to back-up Roy, though i feel that Roy will more than likely play the entire game.

Now i havent seen any comment from the coaching staff that Mendoza is in fact playing RB this year, all we heard is that he was seen practicing with them, that could just mean that he is doing reps with them just for coaches to see where he is should they need to put him that spot during the season.

Burkhead has alot of pressure on him, especially as a true freshman coming in and trying to fill Castille's shoes, i hope that he can handle himself and show us he is capable of that #2 spot. Let's all wish this young man one hellva season!

Agreed. First couple games will at least tell us if he's NOT ready for this. VA Tech may further enlighten us. But if the coaches are confident enough to give him that job as a true freshman with all the other guys they have, I'm guessing it's for a reason.

As to Mendoza, Bo did confirm after practice today that he's moved. Coincidence, actually, as he he said the move took place over a couple of days––maybe even before this whole Castille debacle came up. So we just got a little bit deeper at the position (though I was looking forward to seeing what he could do in the slot).

I think that the first two games Rex will answer alot of questions as to if he (as a true freshman) can handle the #2 spot. If he can perform well against FAU and Ark St. then i have confidence that he can handle it. If he performs mediocre or not so good, i dont seem him playing #2 against Va Tech, instead i can see Mendoza (depending on if he is ready in such a short time) to back-up Roy, though i feel that Roy will more than likely play the entire game.

Now i havent seen any comment from the coaching staff that Mendoza is in fact playing RB this year, all we heard is that he was seen practicing with them, that could just mean that he is doing reps with them just for coaches to see where he is should they need to put him that spot during the season.

Burkhead has alot of pressure on him, especially as a true freshman coming in and trying to fill Castille's shoes, i hope that he can handle himself and show us he is capable of that #2 spot. Let's all wish this young man one hellva season!

Agreed. First couple games will at least tell us if he's NOT ready for this. VA Tech may further enlighten us. But if the coaches are confident enough to give him that job as a true freshman with all the other guys they have, I'm guessing it's for a reason.

As to Mendoza, Bo did confirm after practice today that he's moved. Coincidence, actually, as he he said the move took place over a couple of days––maybe even before this whole Castille debacle came up. So we just got a little bit deeper at the position (though I was looking forward to seeing what he could do in the slot).

Yeah Bo indicated that Mendoza wanted to move back. I take that as a good sign from our WR's, Mendoza showed well at WR in the Spring and Summer so if he wanted to move back to RB it makes me think that he didn't see a shot to get on the field. Hopefully that means the hype about Paul, Holt, Kinnie, Bell, etc. is true. I think it bodes well at least.

Yeah Bo indicated that Mendoza wanted to move back. I take that as a good sign from our WR's, Mendoza showed well at WR in the Spring and Summer so if he wanted to move back to RB it makes me think that he didn't see a shot to get on the field. Hopefully that means the hype about Paul, Holt, Kinnie, Bell, etc. is true. I think it bodes well at least.

I got the impression we were looking for some more speed at the position. Then all camp all we've been hearing about from the receivers was how fast they all are. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Rex obviously has the playmaking skills, I will be more interested in how he handles all of the little things that make an offense successful. Will he stone a blitzing LB, learn how to float out as a safety valve for the QB, etc. Good news is that every single piece on Rex has always talked about how smart and heady he is, how he is absolutely willing to stop at nothing to ensure a win (very Derek Jeter-like in that regard), and how he is a gamer. I think he is the kind of player that gets more pride out of doing all of those other things you need to win as opposed to racking up stats, I really hope that is true because I have no doubt about his ability to get those stats.

Rex is truly a team player. I have watch that young man play football and basketball, since he was in the 7th grade. He will play his heart out to win, but he will do it with class. No cheap shots and no show boating when he gets into the end zone. He has been there before, but I imagine he will be a little excited when he does it in front of 80K cheering fans. You guys are in for a real treat getting to watch him mature as a college player.

Rex was the first freshman to play for Plano Senior, since like 1964 and unfortunately his first few games of sharing FB duties he looked like a freshman, but he learned quick. He helped the team make it deep into he playoffs, where the got beat by the eventual state champs and quarterback Chase Daniel. I need to correct this last statement... the timing isn't right for it to have been Chase Danie, so it must of been Southlake Carroll coach's son Riley Dodge. I shouldn't rely on my mind, that far back, sorry.

Rex obviously has the playmaking skills, I will be more interested in how he handles all of the little things that make an offense successful. Will he stone a blitzing LB, learn how to float out as a safety valve for the QB, etc. Good news is that every single piece on Rex has always talked about how smart and heady he is, how he is absolutely willing to stop at nothing to ensure a win (very Derek Jeter-like in that regard), and how he is a gamer. I think he is the kind of player that gets more pride out of doing all of those other things you need to win as opposed to racking up stats, I really hope that is true because I have no doubt about his ability to get those stats.

Rex is truly a team player. I have watch that young man play football and basketball, since he was in the 7th grade. He will play his heart out to win, but he will do it with class. No cheap shots and no show boating when he gets into the end zone. He has been there before, but I imagine he will be a little excited when he does it in front of 80K cheering fans. You guys are in for a real treat getting to watch him mature as a college player.

Rex was the first freshman to play for Plano Senior, since like 1964 and unfortunately his first few games of sharing FB duties he looked like a freshman, but he learned quick. He helped the team make it deep into he playoffs, where the got beat by the eventual state champs and quarterback Chase Daniels.

Thanks for the comments Plano, pretty much echos everything we have heard thus far about Rex. Believe me we are stoked to see this young man strap it on for the Huskers on Saturdays!!

Rex was the first freshman to play for Plano Senior, since like 1964 and unfortunately his first few games of sharing FB duties he looked like a freshman, but he learned quick. He helped the team make it deep into he playoffs, where the got beat by the eventual state champs and quarterback Chase Daniels.

Come on, Rex. Quit referring to yourself in the third person. :lol:

It'll be interesting to see, thanks for sharing! There is a learning curve in just about every part of life...the ones that get it succeed.

Mendoza will be just fine!!

Come on, Rex. Quit referring to yourself in the third person. :lol:

Geez, and I was worried about sounding like his daddy/java script:emoticon(':hmmph',%20'smid_22')

Rex is ready to play. Rex had 160 plus rushing yards againist Trinity last year in the playoffs. If Plano had a defense, they would have won that game. Think he caught 50 yards worth of balls that game to and threw a pass. Trinity was the #5 team in the NATION at that time. He is a gamer, thats for sure. Learning how to take contact will be an issue. He got blowen up by some D-1 prospects/guys in high school. Dont shoot me, just saying what I know and I hate kool aid.

Again, I hear the comment about Rex plays with heart, and one of the first things I noticed on his films was no showboating. Great to see, can hardly wait for the first game

Rex is ready to play. Rex had 160 plus rushing yards againist Trinity last year in the playoffs. If Plano had a defense, they would have won that game. Think he caught 50 yards worth of balls that game to and threw a pass. Trinity was the #5 team in the NATION at that time. He is a gamer, thats for sure. Learning how to take contact will be an issue. He got blowen up by some D-1 prospects/guys in high school. Dont shoot me, just saying what I know and I hate kool aid.

I guess depending on which poll you followed; wasn’t Euless Trinity closer to #1 in the nation last year?

As for taking contact, he is very tough. For as many touches as he has had, I can only recall one time where he was slow getting up. The only time I saw him limping was in a playoff game against Trinity, in 2008, at the end of a double OT loss, (that Trinity team was huge). A game in which was rumored, that he played sick.

I really don’t fully agree with your statement about being blown up by some D1 players, but I can think of one instance where that is true. There was only game in his senior year, where every team keyed on him, that he was held for less than a 100, actually less than 50 yards. Nikita Whitlock and the Wylie Pirates beat the heck out of our OLine and should have won that game, if they would have a wide receiver that could catch a ball that hit them in the hands. Nikita went on to be the Texas 5A Defensive Player of the Year and will be playing this fall at Wake Forest. I wish Nitika a lot of success at WF. He was amazing to watch, also.

Side note: I just rechecked my stats and in the first game of his senior season Rex, only had 76 yards, but I recall he was pulled for most of the fourth in a one-sided victory.

Combo, most of your Texas kids were not recruited by UT or OU and if they were it wasn't to be a RB. Look at the OU backs, they have 2 #1 RBs per Scout, Murray and Calhoun. They are getting 4 and 5 star Texas kids.

The part in red...Ummm just for your information...

Rex Burkhead was a 4 :star recruit and rated as the 9th best RB in the nation last year according to rivals.com

and

Quentin Castille was a 4 :star from LaPorte, Texas

(Yeah I know he's no longer with the team and that's a completely seperate issue.)

And if what I've read about Aaron Green, current Nebraska DB Andrew Green's little brother, is true he's as good as N and will probably be the #1 ranked RB in Texas, possibly the nation and a 5 :star to boot.