Outlook for '09

You are right, we have 3 of the top players in the country on our team, you only have 1. I have no idea how you figure you are loaded and we are a cut below. Some of you guys like to just write everything off to Cosgrove, but we have beaten a few teams other than you all over the last few years. We have got some talent. I liked our odds before you lost Q, like em better now. More people could get hurt though. We showed up banged up in Lincoln last year, and it showed. You play us late and Reesing ain't a big dude, so that could happen again. How you can write us off with such a bold statement is a little misguided in my view.

The part in blue...Three of the top players? You're referring to Briscoe and I assume Reesing and Meirer?

I'll admit Briscoe is one of the top three WR's in the Big 12, and I think you can make a legitimate case that he's one of the best nationally.

Reesing is good, has tons of heart but there is no way he is in the top three for QB's nationally.

The top three QB's in most people's estimation are: McCoy, Bradford and Tebow.

And Meirer is good as well but nowhere near being in the top three for WR's.

The part in purple...We have some talent as well. I honestly think you're assuming that because you guys beat us in Lawrence the last two years that you think a W is nearly a given. I'm one Husker fan who certainly isn't writing Kansas off or taking you guys lightly but there's a LOT of football to be played before NU and KU meet. Both teams need to take care of their business before they meet.

you guys think huskers can beat Vtech? really, on the road in blackwater? will be an informative game but not the way you expect. not a basher but realistic, your very inexperienced offense will have trouble doing anything against a very tough d and their O with an inexperienced offense didn't have any difficulties scoring against you in lincoln, when you were much more experienced on both sides of the ball.

everyone entitled to their opinion but you actually think you are going to go into columbia, lorance, waco and boulder and come out well? really. as for rooting against tigers, go ahead, i personally root for big 12 teams to do well as the head to head battles decide everything anyway, no such thing as "co-champions" when you play against each other, winner is who plays in championship game, period.

good luck on the season, your team has more questions and less talent than tigers, personally I don;t get too wrapped around the axle about football, enjoy the competition. but again, blackwater? really? wow that is amazing, course you guys don't give TT their dues, mike leach reloads he won't miss a beat. 10-2? really? now that's funny stuff! if you win at vt or actually competitive, good for you.

Does this mean I have to forward my mail? I used to live in Blacksburg... now I apparently live in Blackwater.

lol...I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. :dumdum

Jayhawk,

A lot of talk on here. But most of us respect you and your team. Just puffing up their chests.

And I agree you have the talent and you have us at home. No reason for you not to be confident. The one main thing you have is Reesing. We at this time are way in the hole on that. If Zac plays like the fans expect him to we will be in the game.

Our defense will be better, but we are no where near the best defensive line in the country. Very good and could prove to be highly rated down the road. New LB's are faster, more aggresive, but that sometimes leads to problems too.

I truly look forward to that game, and am hoping that we both reach it close to even.

I of course will be rooting for Nebraska, but if Kansas beats us, I will respect your win, your classy fans and the scoreboard.

You are right, we have 3 of the top players in the country on our team, you only have 1. I have no idea how you figure you are loaded and we are a cut below. Some of you guys like to just write everything off to Cosgrove, but we have beaten a few teams other than you all over the last few years. We have got some talent. I liked our odds before you lost Q, like em better now. More people could get hurt though. We showed up banged up in Lincoln last year, and it showed. You play us late and Reesing ain't a big dude, so that could happen again. How you can write us off with such a bold statement is a little misguided in my view.

The part in blue...Three of the top players? You're referring to Briscoe and I assume Reesing and Meirer?

I'll admit Briscoe is one of the top three WR's in the Big 12, and I think you can make a legitimate case that he's one of the best nationally.

Reesing is good, has tons of heart but there is no way he is in the top three for QB's nationally.

The top three QB's in most people's estimation are: McCoy, Bradford and Tebow.

And Meirer is good as well but nowhere near being in the top three for WR's.

The part in purple...We have some talent as well. I honestly think you're assuming that because you guys beat us in Lawrence the last two years that you think a W is nearly a given. I'm one Husker fan who certainly isn't writing Kansas off or taking you guys lightly but there's a LOT of football to be played before NU and KU meet. Both teams need to take care of their business before they meet.

First of all, not taking the game for granted at all, not even slightly. Think we will win, have upgraded our odds from 55% to 60% (Now Helu staying healthy is harder to achieve and he is more essential), and that is a moving nuber with lots that can change. I don't take anything for granted, least of all that game.

Also, i think you misunderstood me. I did not mean we have 3 in the top 3, I just meant 3 top players. If you were reading off a list of the best guys to have at a given position in the country, Reesing would be in that conversation (proabbly not top 3, but he is gonna be up there), Briscoe would probably be in a lot of top 3's and Meier was way up there in receptions, so a lot of teams would list him up there (not top 3). I just meant top college quality players, major game changers. Suh would be who I am referring to as yours.

Jayhawk,

A lot of talk on here. But most of us respect you and your team. Just puffing up their chests.

And I agree you have the talent and you have us at home. No reason for you not to be confident. The one main thing you have is Reesing. We at this time are way in the hole on that. If Zac plays like the fans expect him to we will be in the game.

Our defense will be better, but we are no where near the best defensive line in the country. Very good and could prove to be highly rated down the road. New LB's are faster, more aggresive, but that sometimes leads to problems too.

I truly look forward to that game, and am hoping that we both reach it close to even.

I of course will be rooting for Nebraska, but if Kansas beats us, I will respect your win, your classy fans and the scoreboard.

I love watching those two teams have good games I am flying back from my new east coast home only to fly right back here the next day. I will enjoy seeing my Jayhawk and Corn brethren and revel in all that is college football awesomeness.

While losing Q really does suck, I felt the same way about losing Turner and Glenn last year. Players stepped up and I feel that the same thing will happen this year. The season hasn't even started yet. There is still time to cement one more RB into place and while they may not replace Q's experience, they do have a chance to replace his talent. Much like what happened with Turner and Glenn.

you guys think huskers can beat Vtech? really, on the road in blackwater? will be an informative game but not the way you expect. not a basher but realistic, your very inexperienced offense will have trouble doing anything against a very tough d and their O with an inexperienced offense didn't have any difficulties scoring against you in lincoln, when you were much more experienced on both sides of the ball.

everyone entitled to their opinion but you actually think you are going to go into columbia, lorance, waco and boulder and come out well? really. as for rooting against tigers, go ahead, i personally root for big 12 teams to do well as the head to head battles decide everything anyway, no such thing as "co-champions" when you play against each other, winner is who plays in championship game, period.

good luck on the season, your team has more questions and less talent than tigers, personally I don;t get too wrapped around the axle about football, enjoy the competition. but again, blackwater? really? wow that is amazing, course you guys don't give TT their dues, mike leach reloads he won't miss a beat. 10-2? really? now that's funny stuff! if you win at vt or actually competitive, good for you.

well I am sure you would have laughed at the suggestion of a 9 win season last year too. you cant gauge a team from the performance the year before. who would have thought you guys had more talent that us 2 years ago? we were the clear favorites and ended up being terrible. I would also hope that it would be kind of apparent after last year that this is a group that has not yet realized our true potential or talent level, as was evident last year. we were not remotely the same team by the end of the year compared to the start..... have we reached the peak of our talent? or are we going to continue to improve? I think we will continue to make large strides, but who really knows? this type of stuff happens every year.... some teams get better... some stay the same.... some get worse. just about every player that we lost last year has been replaced by someone more TALENTED. we shall see if that translates to being better. just a few examples... WR... nate swift and todd peterson were great receivers for us, but athletically the pale in comparison to the guys that will be replacing them. same with our D-line..... do realise how much talent we have in our d-line? just going on pure talent alone you would have a hard time finding a better duo than suh and "little" Steinkuhler at DT.

Anyway this is all just silly predictions,and your predictions are just as silly as anyone else's

the other thing I would add on top of my previous post is that judging by the preseason ranking, we arent the only ones that think that we should do well in the b12N. again I dont put much in preseason predictions...... just pointing that out.

and I think that nebraska wins in lorance... if they can figure out where that is

I also forgot Darrell Stuckey, that dude is the bomb on our defense, so that makes 4. Sorry Darrell.

Just Checked

Rivals had Reesing as 5th best QB in all of CFB and #36 at any position

Briscoe was #2 WR in all of CFB and #17 at any position

Meier was #14 WR in all of CFB

Stuckey was #21 DB in all CFB (good since there are 4 spots grouped here)

Suh was the #7 DT (Pretty good since this includes DEs and DTs) and #23 at any position

You also had McNeill as #8 TE, so that is nice...

Your Kicker was #4, which is nice, but I am not going there...

All in all, I will be happy to concede we have weak points and points that need proving, as does GBR, but I think this rating sort of implies we are not lacking in talent....

I also forgot Darrell Stuckey, that dude is the bomb on our defense, so that makes 4. Sorry Darrell.

Just Checked

Suh was the #7 DT (Pretty good since this includes DEs and DTs) and #23 at any position

Your Kicker was #4, whihc is nice, but I am not going there...

All in all, I will be happy to concede we have weak points and points that need proving, as does GBR, but I think this rating sort of implies we are not lacking in talent....

Jayhawk, I like a lot of your pieces but your team lacks overall depth and talent in a lot of positions. The O-Line is big question mark, your LB's are a big question mark, and although you have 1 really good DE I am going to count your D-line as a strength YET but it has potential.

Just Checked

Your Kicker was #4, which is nice, but I am not going there...

Jayhawk, I like a lot of your pieces but your team lacks overall depth and talent in a lot of positions. The O-Line is big question mark, your LB's are a big question mark, and although you have 1 really good DE I am going to count your D-line as a strength YET but it has potential.

You are right, we have some spots on defense that are unproved, especially LB, and our O-line must show significant improvement. Huskers also have the same issue, albeit with less holes, on defense, with some really good known quantities and some new bloow (some LBs and DBs come to mind) and your offense lost it's starting QB, now a big part of the running game and I am not sure your WRs were considered a big strenght to begin with this year. I am not saying we have you sunk, but for the earlier poster to declare us out of the Husker's league in talent showed, at least in my opinion, a lack of knowledge. I do not make the same mistake in reverse. I know the Huskers have good talent, I do not disrespect it or understate it. I also think they are well coached and trending the right way as a program. I think this Q thing shows a positive trend, not a negative one, at least long term. I see you are aware of our short comings too, and I agree with your analysis.

well I am sure you would have laughed at the suggestion of a 9 win season last year too. you cant gauge a team from the performance the year before. who would have thought you guys had more talent that us 2 years ago? we were the clear favorites and ended up being terrible. I would also hope that it would be kind of apparent after last year that this is a group that has not yet realized our true potential or talent level, as was evident last year. we were not remotely the same team by the end of the year compared to the start..... have we reached the peak of our talent? or are we going to continue to improve? I think we will continue to make large strides, but who really knows? this type of stuff happens every year.... some teams get better... some stay the same.... some get worse. just about every player that we lost last year has been replaced by someone more TALENTED. we shall see if that translates to being better. just a few examples... WR... nate swift and todd peterson were great receivers for us, but athletically the pale in comparison to the guys that will be replacing them. same with our D-line..... do realise how much talent we have in our d-line? just going on pure talent alone you would have a hard time finding a better duo than suh and "little" Steinkuhler at DT.

Anyway this is all just silly predictions,and your predictions are just as silly as anyone else's

I think you could argue that Jared Crick would be the guy rather than B Steinkuhler...obviously both will play but I'm very confident that at whoever we have at DT alongside Suh will be VERY good....we are starting to get that depth along the DLine again, its nice to have that to build a defense around.

I think you could argue that Jared Crick would be the guy rather than B Steinkuhler...obviously both will play but I'm very confident that at whoever we have at DT alongside Suh will be VERY good....we are starting to get that depth along the DLine again, its nice to have that to build a defense around.

I am just talking about pure talent here since he said that we had "lesser talent" crick might be the better player right now, but I dont know if anyone on the team has more talent than baker. you just dont see a lot of guys in HS that are 6'6" 300 that run 4.88 with a 31 inch vert