Cody Green #2?

What if Zac gets hurt ? What if Green is the real deal and ends up going pro after his junior year. Would you rather have two years and a redshirt or two plus without. What if what if what if.

I was thinking the same thing I am glad you said it... Who knows what the future might hold, we might get a better QB next year or the year after that is better then anyone we have ever seen..

Tom coached for the future by createin depth an tellin the kids they have to sit an watch before going out there, but times have changed so I if the player can play then let them play..

Bring him along at a slow pace. Set him up for success but...

Play Him Early and Play Him Often!

Tomorrow starts today. When we are loaded with high caliber QB talent 5 deep then you can automatically red shirt players. It's not 1985 anymore and we can't "hoard" players the way we used to. Player's want to play and if not at Nebraska they will go somewhere that they can play.

Not saying he needs to even be considered for the #1 spot right now but, by game 8...if he is CLEARLY the best QB...start him.

Bring him along at a slow pace. Set him up for success but...

Play Him Early and Play Him Often!

Tomorrow starts today. When we are loaded with high caliber QB talent 5 deep then you can automatically red shirt players. It's not 1985 anymore and we can't "hoard" players the way we used to. Player's want to play and if not at Nebraska they will go somewhere that they can play.

Not saying he needs to even be considered for the #1 spot right now but, by game 8...if he is CLEARLY the best QB...start him.

Really, if you think about it, whoever is #2 plays, plain and simple

Barring the unforeseen, having a senior Green and Burkhead on offense does not sound too bad. Smells like BCS contender to me.

We would all like to see everyone skip that first year so they can develop, mentally and physically, but this staff really will play the best players. Unlike the previous admin which seemed to throw true freshman at holes in the dam mid season.

If they do play Green, I really hope they red shirt Washington.. If he never exceeds 2nd string, he could back up the #1 for a year after Lee departs.

I think it is fantastic that we have this level of talent, and that he has stayed around. Most or our top QB's have left and normally because they were afraid or knew they had no chance of playing.

Again, I think, that if he is as good as stated, the chances of him being here 4 years or 5 years is remote. If he is that good, Junior year, with millions being waved at him, he is gone.

Let's use that talent, and give the kids we are looking at the knowledge that Nebraska is a place to go and have a chance to play. Recruiting will benefit. SC tells them point bland, you da man, you da playa.

I think he must have that level of ability. Watson knows QB's and he is obviously impressed. Most want him to redshirt to grow up. Watson says he is mature beyond his years. That is an intersting comment. It says to me he is ready.

I look at it, if he is good enough to play it is a major positive. If he redshirts that is a positive. I see nothing negative about this in any way.

It means we are getting talent here. Not where we need to be yet, but we are moving ahead.

I too was hoping to RS Green so he would have a better understanding of the offense, but after Spano was lost for the year, I had a feeling Green was going to be #2 . That's not a knock on Washington, but after playing LB and special teams for the last couple of years, there's surely a lot to catch up on, especially after running an option type offense in high school. I think it would be great to see Green in a couple of series a game, kind of like Ohio St. did with Terrelle Pryor early in the season last year.

Like I read by several other posters, Green being named #2 after Spano was lost really didn't surprise. I'm sure Washington is holding his own but he was not recruited by us to be a QB. He wasn't even a starting LB, with that being said I'm not sure I want him at the helm.

I also think people are really wowed by Green being #2 already, and that is great! But who has he really beat out for the spot? A LB and a walk-on true freshmen, and another true freshmen both of whom have been here for a few weeks. I'm not trying to be a downer here I'm just thinking people need to temper their expectation a little bit.

I am impressed with everything coaches are saying about Green, but I haven't forgotten the images of a really nervous kid playing in the spring game. I think he may turn out to be a good one, but with all things considered people should look at the whole situation we have here.

When I look at the whole picture, heaven forbid Lee goes down, or for that matter whoever the #2 is goes in for mop up duty there will be a huge drop off. Maybe not in God given ability, but the options for play calling is going to go way, way down.

If Green does end up #2, he definately won't be watching Washington play while he stands on the sidelines unless he has already gotten his reps in.

My 2 or 3 cents

Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson on Tuesday said Green was leading in the battle to be Zac Lee’s backup.
True freshman quarterback Cody Green has taken a lead in the race with junior Latravis Washington for Nebraska’s backup quarterback job behind Zac Lee.

No place in any of the write-ups, quotes or whatever about Green being #2 is there anything about him being close to where Zac Lee is. :dunno All they say is he has moved into the top spot BEHIND Lee in his battle with Washington for that spot.

Burkhead is #2 behind Helu does this mean that he is pushing Helu for time and that Helu might not be where the coaches think he should be? No it means that Rex is the best player after Helu.

All I know is if Lee has a spotty game I can’t wait for all the people that will come out and call for Green, kind of like they did with Frost/London and Lord/Dailey. :bang They’ll call him out by his first name “Put in Cody!” :facepalm: They’ll possibly throw out some boo’s aimed at Lee and when Green comes in and does the same they’ll say “It’s ok Cody get them next time.” <_<

Or it could end up that Zac Lee is the Chance Mock to Cody Green’s Vince Young. Where a serviceable starting QB gets pushed out because the talented up and comer needs to be on the field.

Or it could end up like it probably will, where Zac Lee comes out and starts for 2 years and Green serves as the top backup and starter for a couple seasons. Kind of like they do it at USC.

Disclaimer: In NO WAY am I saying that Cody Green is as good as Vince Young was. It is purely an example of an upperclassman getting beat out by an underclassman. :hellloooo

I think it is fantastic that we have this level of talent, and that he has stayed around. Most or our top QB's have left and normally because they were afraid or knew they had no chance of playing.

Again, I think, that if he is as good as stated, the chances of him being here 4 years or 5 years is remote. If he is that good, Junior year, with millions being waved at him, he is gone.

Let's use that talent, and give the kids we are looking at the knowledge that Nebraska is a place to go and have a chance to play. Recruiting will benefit. SC tells them point bland, you da man, you da playa.

I think he must have that level of ability. Watson knows QB's and he is obviously impressed. Most want him to redshirt to grow up. Watson says he is mature beyond his years. That is an intersting comment. It says to me he is ready.

I look at it, if he is good enough to play it is a major positive. If he redshirts that is a positive. I see nothing negative about this in any way.

It means we are getting talent here. Not where we need to be yet, but we are moving ahead.

Dual threat QB's have lost a lot of luster in terms of NFL contracts and millions, see Vince Young. I think Green will be here 4 or 5 years depending on whether or not he redshirts. I'm going to be a bit ticked if he wastes his redshirt by getting similar playing time compared to the #2 QB last year. I don't think most want him to redshirt to grow up. Rather, we want him to work on the playbook and his throwing motion. He missed an entire season in high school do to injury. He needs to redshirt to clean up his throwing motion.