Have you ever bet against Nebraska?

Confess now.

Yes, I bet 50 against them in their game last year against Texas Tech. I'm sorry, but they looked so bad against Missouri and Virginia Tech, I really, really thought it was going to be easy money.

The gods did punish me by double jeopardy: not only did Tech not cover the spread, but we lost straight up!

My best bet for the Huskers was the first year of the Callahan era. Remember when we were 30 point underdogs to Oklahoma? Game looked like it was going to push until Callahan pulled a field goal out of his to prevent the shutout and win me some money that weekend!

I was in Vegas for the Vegas Bowl in 2002?, New Mexico State was there, and I remember a NMS fan telling me that she never bet on her own team because betting with her heart was not smart. I thought that was strange at first, but soon realized after losing on the Nebraska game that year that she had a point... if you bet, bet with your head, not your heart.

I like to get down on football, but I imposed a rule on myself to ensure the pureness that is NU football would remain in tact. I will not bet on NU, never have, never will.

nicely put :cheers

Like any bet.. i wouldn't bet on my team either way.. too much emotion goes into it.... just the way i look at it...

:yeah

I couldn't stomach betting against the team I grew up with. I don't know how you all could watch a game and want the Huskers to lose just to get yourselves an extra hundred bucks that you'll lose next week in another bet.

If I'm betting on teams to lose I'll go with the Raiders or Lions because those are sure things and I hate both of them.

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Aug 27 2009, 11:58 AM) 457078[/snapback]

I couldn't stomach betting against the team I grew up with. I don't know how you all could watch a game and want the Huskers to lose just to get yourselves an extra hundred bucks that you'll lose next week in another bet.

If I'm betting on teams to lose I'll go with the Raiders or Lions because those are sure things and I hate both of them.

During the Callafraud "error" there were several games I never bet and enjoyed watching them lose. Why? How? Simple - Short term pain for a long term gain.

I would not bet for them to lose. But I don’t see a problem with betting against them if the spread was high enough—betting that the Huskers win without covering spread. Never done it though.

thats the point about not betting on your own team... especially when they have a monumental spread to cover. its not dissing your team, its having realistic expectations. NO ONE SHOULD EVER BET FOR THE HUSKERS TO LOSE, period. But even a win can happen without the spread being covered, and who feels dumb then? :dumdum

First off, hello board! Been lurking a while, but found this subject interesting and since most responses are based off more recent experiences, thought I would add opinion from a more long-term view.

No, I don't remember ever betting against the huskers. But I did come very close once.

I have never placed a bet with the bookies, but found myself surrounded by many who did. I always figured why give the bookies a percentage when one could usually find someone to make a straight across friendly bar bet with. It had been my experince through the 60's and 70's that point spreads were high for the Huskers and there was a tendancy to substitute freely in the second half allowing too many opponents to get within that spread. Also, the memory of the '68 KSU homecoming game remained embedded into my memory (12-0 loss in case some don't remember). Therefore, I chose to stay away from any bets with NU involved. Anyway.....

Not sure, but it was 76 or 77 when I walked into the bar on a Friday night and found out that the bookies had NU giving OU something like 7 or 8 points. As many know, NU had not beaten OU for a number of years then. A customer of mine had come in late and paid a $600 bill in cash which I had in my wallet and the temptation of getting OU and points against ANYBODY was overwhelming, but I resisted the temptation. Well, OU won (again) straight up leaving me with that disappointment (again) as well as $600 short. I figured I had missed my best opportunity and never was tempted again.

An interesting (to me anyway) anecdote: I was tending bar in a small town during the '71 season when even friendly bar bets were hard to come by when it came to the Huskers. Nobody would bet againstg them even with a ton of points. The first couple games, I was able to get a bet for a beer that NU would score first, which I won so no more takers on that one. Then I bet that NU would score on their first possession, which they again covered. Then that score was upped to a touchdown on the first possession, which they again covered. By the second half of the season, I don't recall any betting activity involving the huskers because there just wasn't anything anybody could come up with that any fan didn't think they had a great chance of covering, short of the ridiculous that would amount to making a donation.

Anyway, glad to be here, hope to post occassionally, and sorry for the rambling. Just too many great memories of the huskers over the past 50 or so years.