Well...I'm coaching youth football...

So...I decided to volunteer to coach youth football this year, 12-13 year olds. Being the 'young' coach, the other coaches don't think I know anything, so they've put me at 'defensive assistant,' working mainly with the d-line (there is no offense assistant).

We played our first game last night and lost 6-0. The other team connected on a bomb in which the corner got burnt/tired (he is also the starting qb/rb and had no break).

Here's my beef. We've played 3 scrimmages, and then this game, and we haven't scored a point. :bang But yet, the coach who's been coaching for 25 years, or so he says, keeps changing the offense. We are on our 5th offense since the end of July. We had 4 or 5 penalties last night for only having 6 on the line. When I asked him why the TE wasn't on the line, he said there's no TE, everyone moves around. I was thinking to myself, 'We just put this offense in last Thursday, why make it so complicated? Stay in one formation where each player knows exactly where to line up each time, at least for now.' I guess that makes too much sense. The head defensive coach blitzes his son (MLB) every single play, and no one else. IMO, the kid isn't good enough to be out there every play, but that's neither here nor there.

Also, I found myself playing the role of head coach last night. I was calling timeouts near the end of the game when the other coaches were apparently just going to let the clock run out. I was the one telling the refs we wanted a timeout if we stopped the other team on 3rd down with 1:34 left in the game, even after I was told by the head coach that you can't tell the ref that (I got no penalty). I was the one telling the offense to run it on 2 on 4th & 4 from the visiting team 23 yard line near the end of the game. Maybe it's because of my time being on the sideline during my time at Clemson, but I feel as though I knew much better how to run a game as a coach than the other coaches. One was cheering when we got a stop, one was congratulating his son, and I was sending the offense on the field. When asked why I was sending the offense on the field, I responded, 'because that was 4th down.' To which I was asked, 'it was?' :steam

But after going through all of that, after the game, as I was walking to my car to leave, I heard 'Coach!' I turned to see our safety, Eli. He said, 'I just wanted to thank you for teaching me how to strip the ball, I caused that last fumble.' I told him that he was quite welcome, and to keep up that good play and there'd be many more to come, and that I'd see him today at practice. That moment made it all worthwhile.

Thanks to all of you guys for the support!

But...the saga continues.

Yesterday, we had practice. I show up, and the head coach says we decided to put you in charge of kickoff & kickoff return, since we feel you need to be in charge of something. Which is fine, we're just going to have to start running back kickoffs to actually score some points.

So, we move on to defensive practice (let me remind you, the offensive coach is the offensive coach, and I'm the defensive assistant and another coach is the d coordinator I guess), and we're running plays and I'm talking and going over some stuff with the offense when the offensive coach walks up and tells him that in 'my, I mean our, defense you have to cover the whole width of the field and the corners are only covering the recievers for 10-15 yards, and then they're playing contain.' Ok, we run a 5-3 with one safety. I asked him why do the corners release, to which I got the response 'because they have to contain' (which is the DE job from all that I've ever been taught). So I said stay here coach, and I went and played QB for a play, sent one wideout on each side down the sideline and watched which one the safety went to, and threw to the other. The coach then said, 'Well that's not going to happen in a game, the QBs don't have that kind of arm.' So I let it go, but next game when they burn us deep, I'm going to remind him of what he taught our safety & corners.

So then we go to offensive practice. I'm standing behind the offense giving pointers every once in a while. Apparently the offensive coach took offense to this (remember: he was giving pointers to his, I mean our, defense). He turned to me and said 'Coach, you stay out of this, this is my offense.' :steam:steam:steam I was pissed, but being in front of all the kids, I just stood back and talked to one of our helpers from high school.

During our conversation, we started talking Clemson and South Carolina football, which he is a fan of neither, he grew up elsewhere. I made the bold, yet probable prediction that if Steven Garcia (SC's QB) goes down this year, SC will be lucky to win 5 games (their backup from last year and 3rd string both transferred). This caught the o coach's attention and he felt that he had to get involved, so he said, 'but Clemson plays patsy teams, SC's schedule is ranked #1 in the nation this year' (which is a typical SC argument). I then said, well, it's because the SEC is better than the ACC and that's the bulk of the schedules. He then said, 'It has nothing to do with conferences, SC just plays better teams. Who is Clemson playing the first game of the year?' Of course I say Middle Tenn State, which got a chuckle out of him and then he said, 'well USC is playing NC State.' Then I say, 'Yeah but we play TCU, Coastal Carolina (FCS) and Mid Tenn St. as our out of conference opponents, and yall play NC State, SC State (FCS) and Florida Atlantic as yall's. Pretty even if you ask me.'

He then looked at me and said, 'You don't know what you're talking about.'

:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam

So...there you have it. I may be on medication by the end of the season. Sorry for such long posts, it's just great to have a place to vent, where I know I'm supported.

have you thought about letting an orangutan from the local zoo take over for him? Sounds like he knows about the same amount of football as the ape would. Dont pull all of your hair out doing the coaching.

For the USC guy, just keep asking him how many championships of any kind they have....

I have been coaching youth football for 10 years now (3 as a HC).. I run a 3 back set with much success. On defense we run a 5-2. Half way through the season I start to teach the QB to run out of the shotgun. So far in 3 years my teams are 24-3. Cacti if you ever need any help, give me a hollar. Good luck to you and your team!

I have been coaching youth football for 10 years now (3 as a HC).. I run a 3 back set with much success. On defense we run a 5-2. Half way through the season I start to teach the QB to run out of the shotgun. So far in 3 years my teams are 24-3. Cacti if you ever need any help, give me a hollar. Good luck to you and your team!

Thanks man. I've been taken away from offense & defense and have been given special teams (which is only KO & KO return).

We lost last night 25-0. So that makes 3 scrimmages, a 15 minute sports-a-rama, and 2 games without sniffing the endzone.

The parents are starting to get upset.

This guy sounds like a giant moron!? The stuff you're trying to tell him is basic football knowledge that anyone with half a brain could pick up on. Talking to this guy is like talking to a sack of hammers...............

You also have those dad's who coach and think they missed their NFL calling, or the one's who are trying to bring back their "glory days" by living through their son's. Every season I have a parent only meeting and hand out rules. One of them is, to not coach a kid from the sideline. At these ages, kids get confused as it is, the last thing a coach needs is some dip chit dad putting in his two cents in from the side line. My first year I had a dad try and start a rebellion against my coaching staff....Little did he know that my wife was sitting next to him and told him to basically STFU and if he knew so much about coaching, why didn't he volunteer his time to the kids. That was the last we heard from him he entire year.

Thanks man. I've been taken away from offense & defense and have been given special teams (which is only KO & KO return).

We lost last night 25-0. So that makes 3 scrimmages, a 15 minute sports-a-rama, and 2 games without sniffing the endzone.

The parents are starting to get upset.

It really sounds like the coaches that you are working with are 100% dumb asses. Have they even taught them the OL holes? Hell my plays at the beginning of every year, are 90% sweeps out of the wing T formation. Then when the defense cheats all their players up to the LOS, I have my QB throw a post to the WR. Again, I feel your pain Cacti. Just keep telling yourself, it's all for the kids, and next year take on your own team. Learn from all the dumb mistakes your current coaches are doing, and file it in your memory bank under, "things that I won't do when I am a head coach". You won't regret it.

If you find that the kids are looking bored or giving up, I suggest having them play a game to liven things up. My players all know that if they be quiet, listen and have a good practice, we end the day with a game called Bull in the ring. These kids love that game!