Cody Green

np_husker

I agree with Sip.

Steven M. Sipple: Redshirt for QB Green? Case is cut and dried

What’s the ol’ Ouija board say about Cody Green?

Will we see the talented true freshman quarterback under center Saturday night?

Or will Nebraska try to maintain Green’s redshirt season?

To-redshirt-or-not discussions sometimes are fairly complex because so many variables are involved. Different ways of thinking apply depending on the player’s and team’s circumstances at a given point of the season.

In Green’s case, I think it’s pretty cut-and-dried for the time being: If the situation calls for the No. 1 backup, you play him. Period. At the moment Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson elevated Green to No. 2 last week, I think his redshirt question essentially was answered.

You play your best players, right? Right? To a certain degree, that’s the overriding philosophy that should guide most redshirt decisions these days at Nebraska, which no longer is in position to stockpile players.

If Lee directs Nebraska to a comfortable lead Saturday — the Huskers are three-touchdown favorites — it says here get Green some valuable experience in the second half.

Play your best players. And don’t try too hard to predict the future.

If only it were that easy. Take the case of true freshman cornerback Andrew Green. He’s on the cusp of being in the cornerback rotation. Say he doesn’t crack that rotation. Do you still play him on special teams to take advantage of his speed and explosiveness?

Many redshirt cases are murky. Cody Green’s is not.

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/0...88137833457.txt

The thing that is great about Green getting playing time is that even if we lose him for a year, he is going to be that much more experienced by the time he gets a chance to start. We aren't going to have to ask the same questions we asked about Lee. We aren't going to have to listen to people rave about how talented Green is, but not know how he'll perform under the bright lights of Memorial Stadium, cause we'll already know for the most part.

you could know how he will perform if we redshirt him and play him next season also....you guys wont be happy if it turns out to be a situation like niles paul had a couple years ago....just saying.

If they play him but don't give him a whole lot of snaps then yes I will be disappointed. If they play him and he gets significant time to ensure he is ready in case he is needed, then no I won't be.

exactly, with little Gabbert coming on board, why create a logjam at a position with talent. play the kid! it will even help recruiting and God only knows we need all the help we can get in that department!

did anyone see Big Red Wrap Up this week? they had highlights of T Gabbert throwing passes... kid has a cannon and he is still in high school. He talked about competition and that he realizes it will happen no matter where he goes... so it sounds like he is in for the long haul. Asked of his brother, he answered pretty good by saying he wishes him well, but also wishes his future team success... showing some poise IMO.

You play your best players, right?

Right. And the best player at quarterback is Zac Lee.

Ganz didn't get pulled last year because he was still relatively inexperienced and needed to get games under his belt. Lee, even more so. If Lee gets hurt, I think Green goes in. But otherwise, I think we focus on developing the #1 rather than the #2. Now, if Colt McCoy were our QB, it would be a different story.