Say Helu rushes for 1,000+ yards

Helu, in a backup role last year, rushed for 803 yards. It's almost a certainty (assuming our Oline plays at least average) that he'll break 1,000 yards. With his talent, do you guys think he'll bolt for the NFL to prolong his pro career or will he stay for his senior year and possibly lead us to a National Championship berth and a possible Heisman candidacy?

Of course I'm hoping for the latter, but something tells me, that if Helu has a good year, he's gone.

I think he stays. I'm not sure his top gear is fast enough to be a really desirable pro back.

And consider this. Already this year, he has had two injuries. Last year, he had 125 carries for 800+ yards, and he got slightly banged up last year. Now, we're expecting him to get 80-90% of the carries (roughly) in the entire season? He'll have to prove his body can handle the beating, because NFL running backs get it far worse than any college running back.

All this is true, but, assuming he stays healthy, and does get 60 to 70% of the carries, I think he's more than likely guaranteed to rush for over 1,000 yards. That's not fact, that's just what I think will happen.

And if that does happen, I don't see how he couldn't be at least a 3rd to 4th round draft pick. He'd make a serviceable backup in the NFL.

He'll at least get evaluated, and if he likes what he sees....I think he's gone. Meaning our other running backs will have to grow up fast.

It's so hard to make that call this early in the season. If he feels he has something to come back and do, methinks he might do it. But if the right stars align, he gets a good projection in the draft, and he feels he's ready to make that step in his life, it would make sense to do it. Still, Pelini's got the right idea about going pro: most times it's worth it to come back and add a few more pages to your resume.

Helu has a lot to prove. He is a good back but his health is a big question mark. He has to prove he can stay healthy for the entire season when he takes 65-80% of the carries. If he has a 1000+ yd season that does not mean his draft stock will be high because of his health issue. Also he has to prove he can block in the backfield because that is a big part of the NFL for backs. Dont jump to conclusions that he will leave I think 99% chance he will be back for a sr season and the other 1% chance is him not going to the NFL early.