Virginia Tech

Despite their loss tonight, which I hated to see, they looked like a pretty damn good football team. Their defense was solid although it did give up gains in big chunks, and we know they have a return threat. Nebraska played an awesome game today, but I'm still pretty worried about this game in Blacksburg. I just hope Alabama took some of their fire and hope away. It should be a good one, but I still think, unfortunately, VT has the edge.

Your thoughts?

Despite their loss tonight, which I hated to see, they looked like a pretty damn good football team. Their defense was solid although it did give up gains in big chunks, and we know they have a return threat. Nebraska played an awesome game today, but I'm still pretty worried about this game in Blacksburg. I just hope Alabama took some of their fire and hope away. It should be a good one, but I still think, unfortunately, VT has the edge.

Your thoughts?

This game is clearly going to be about Nebraska's O vs. Tech's D. VT didn't exactly handle its first quality RB in letting Mark Ingram run wild for 150 yards.

Bama is actually very similar to us offensively, from a personnel standpoint. Inexperienced, but talented, QB. Top quality RB just coming into his own.

I give V-Tech a slight edge in this matchup, just due to home field advantage.

As far as Nebraska D vs. Tech's O....I don't know. I need to see how we rebound against Ark. State next week. If we can figure out a way to stop those midrange passes that are always open at the LB level, and get some pressure rushing our front 4 only, I'll feel much much better about the V-Tech game. We also need to get much better at the point of attack. Unless this FAU RB turns out to be the 2nd coming of Earl Campbell, we shouldn't be letting 2nd tier RB's put their heads down and go up the gut at Suh/Crick for 5-6 yard gains each time.

ingram was untouched until 15 yards downfield every time. lots of nice big holes to run thru. i don't think we can match the quality of ala's ol. should be some nice gaps for roy tho. their offense couldn't do crap and they still scored 24. ala has lots of size and speed on d. vt will be a different animal in blacksburg, but they are definitely beatable. our problems last yr were penalties and turnovers. if the boys in red can get those under control, they will have a very happy night at vt.

Alabama really contained Taylor well. Everytime he stepped up and tried to make something happen (run or scramble and pass) there was another defender right in his face. I wasn't watching closely enough, since I was listening to the Husker game too, but I guess they had a spy on him, and it worked well. No doubt we've seen what works, whether we can pull it off too is another question.

I think whatever happens, VA Tech is the perfect early test for Nebraska to find out where we really stand. Our O is going to have more problems than our D most likely, but we certainly have more than a sporting chance in this one. I'm guessing if we can establish a consistent run game, we walk out of there with a ten point win.

I think VaTech still has the edge thanks to home field advantage and I still think they have a good defense and great special teams. But, that idea was shaken a bit last night, going by the fact that Alabama is definitely not an explosive offense they ripped VaTech's defense for nearly 500 yards.

Your thoughts?

Hey guys, just got back from Atlanta and with my voice gone and nothing better to do it is a good time to reflect on our game. With the exception of the fourth quarter the team did not play all that bad. Our returns were great (besides the two fumbles), and our D did step up to hold them to mostly FGs in Q 1-3. The way we blitz we do give up some big gains, but if the D had been a little more fresh toward the end we probably could have avoided that last TD. It was rough to lose that game. I had a feeling that they would get a lot of yards on us, but I thought we would keep them out of the end zone on most drives, but we just ran out of steam in the fourth quarter.

We did not get any updates in the Dome on your game until it was over - BUT the 37,000 Hokies there all cheered when we saw your score! It got loud - not sure the Bama fans knew why we were cheering, 'cause it was during one of their 4th quarter drives....

Can't wait for the 19th. I was pretty down last night (got back to the hotel around 1am), but now we just have to look forward. I think both of our teams have similar games next weekend and then we both have to be sharp. Third year in a row we have had an early season loss like this, and we have usually played pretty good ball following those games.

See you all in less than two weeks.

Oh, and congrats on your win!

What worries me about VT is that they didn't play Beamer Ball - some uncharacteristic mistakes and some poor speacial teams moments. VT played well, but not up to their usual standards.

What's worse is that the loss will grab their attention. I expect them to be significanty improved in the next game and by the time we play them.

Having said that, it sure looks like their passing game still hasn't arrived. Taylor is a hell of an athlete, but Alabama also showed everyone how to handle him - contain and pressure. If we can do that, I feel good about our defense matching up to their offense.

It's their defense against our offense that worries me. The VT defenders are damn quick, and our offensive line had more than a few leaks against FAU.