Green the starter by Conference time?

Billyball

Just had the time to sit and watch the Nebraska Football show

One thing that surprised me is that when Sharpe mentioned Wats stating that the gap between #1 QB and #2 QB is closing quickly and Bo confirmed it, which leaves me to ask. Now the fan excitement is one thing, but when you have a two coaches saying that the gap is closing quickly......................

Can Cody Green surpass Zac Lee THIS YEAR?

No one has actually answered this question.

it's been two opinions attacking each other.........

Which is why I posted a new thread........ AR didn't like that...........

Answer the question..... Don't attack the thought....

Thank you, that has been what I believe is obvious as well. It is not a slap at Lee.

Look at the logic of the chatter here.

"Green is too valuable to reshirt"

and then:

"You idiot, Green is not as good as Lee and not good enough to start. Green will be the backup for two years and only play if Lee gets hurt..blah blah"

What seems obvious is that you would not burn a year of eligibility on a very talented QB given our thin ranks in that area unless you thought he had a chance to outplay the starter. Now this would be different if Lee were a senior. But you would not want Green type talent backing up a QB for two years and losing a 3 or 4 year starter like he portends to be. Sounds like more knowledgeable fans than me figured this out.

If Green comes along as they expect he will be the QB sooner rather than later....otherwise playing him in the first game made ZERO sense. Let's wait and see what happens.

"

In what world is that obvious? If Kody Spano had been healthy and our only other option at the position wasn't a converted linebacker, he would more than likely have taken the redshirt. But since A-Spano did go down and our only other option was a converted linebacker, and B-he's almost certainly the future of the program, it makes buckets of sense to give him the fourth quarter when possible, and maybe even some crux series in the first half. This is what is known as grooming your future starter. Given our thin ranks it makes even more sense than ever.

I'll say this, it's remotely possible that Cody ends up proving himself so much during the course of this season that he beats out Lee for the job. Highly unlikely, but possible. But even if this were to happen, there's no way you can assume it will based on two series in the Florida Atlantic game. Lee is an extremely athletic player who's been in the system for years. I don't know where you get the idea that Green is so much better than him that despite not knowing the offense we should throw him in there anyway. To quote Dan Hawkins, 'This ain't intramurals.' There's more to quarterbacking than a 50 yard run.

^ Amen to that. In what possible way is that obvious? We need Green to be #2 because we've simply got no other options. We had a very capable player transfer and another guy who's had some time in the system get sidelined by injury.

At that time, Green was basically the only other scholarship QB on the roster.

And Green, on virtue of being "talented" and a 4-star recruit, does not in any way "portend" into being a 3 or 4-year starter. At this point he is what most other kids on the roster are: potential. Flip side of the argument: Lee is too talented to be designated as a one-year stopgap type of starter.

What strikes me as odd............

Just 2 weeks ago people were unsure about Lee, now there is noway he can be unseated by a Freshman........

After 6 months the fan base see's no possible way so frosh can unseat this talented Lee............

The problem here isn't what's possible or not possible, but based on WHAT?

Cody Green had a nice run against an exhausted, destroyed Sun Belt team, and suddenly the boards are alive with chatter than he's the starter by conference time. Never mind Zac's passing performance or the fact that he's got some wheels himself (which no doubt the coaches are reserving for a time when we need him to run)––just anoint Cody the starter.

I'm sorry if this is getting beaten to death; it's just amazing to me how little some people seem to think through anything around here. I know the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team, but most times fans at least wait for the starter to start sucking it up before they start chanting for jersey #17.

I repeat: it's possible that Cody ends up the guy this season, but there is nothing––I repeat, nothing––to base that off of except a big run against a defeated Sun Belt team and an offhand comment by Shawn Watson that Cody is making big gains in practice.

I'm as excited as anyone for Green's bright, bright future. I'd just hate to see an artificial QB controversy erupt and consume what would otherwise be good conversation on these boards.

Isn't this sort of like last year when Helu and Q were out performing Lucky and we kept giving ML the ball simply because he was the starter? From being there in person I was not as enamored with Zac Lee as many on this board are. He threw the ball often behind the receivers and not in stride. How good is a quarter back if he hits all his receivers out of stride so they can't pick up additional yards after the catch or throws balls that would have been picked off by conference opponents.

By the Numbers: When Recruited

Cody Green

# Ht:6'4"

# Wt:220 lbs

# 40:4.6 secs

# Bench Max:315

# Squat Max:360

# Vertical:33 inches

Rivals Rank: 5.8 (Low Rank Nationally due to no numbers available junior year due to torn ankle ligaments that benched him during the season)

High School Stats: 3rd in the nation in accuracy; 65.5% completed his senior year with 3,226 yards and 36 TDs with only 5 ints in 351 attempts and he was 2nd in the nation for QB's on the ground with 1610 yards and 25 TDs- 2 more TDs on the ground in the state championship for a season total of 27 in the course of 15 games.

215.1 Passing Avg, 107 Scramble Yards; 4.2 TD per game avg .33 Int per game 23.4 pass attempts per game

Zac Lee

# Ht:6'2"

# Wt:200 lbs

# 40:4.6 secs

Rivals Rank: 5.9

Junior College Stats:

64.2 % in the air 3,471 yards 31 TDS 5 ints in 360 attempts and on the ground he only had 6 TDS in the course of 13 games.

267 Passing Avg, 2.85 TDS per game 27.7 Attempts Per Game

Standardizing the green results per attempt for the same attempts as lee, his average would be

Passing Yardage: 251.9 Yards vs 267: Winner Lee

Passing TDS: 2.4 Per Game vs 2.38: Winner Green

Scoring Avg: 4.2 TDS vs 2.85: Winner Green

Scramble Yrdage 107 Yards vs NA (but only 6 TDS): Winner Green

Physical Size: 6'4 220 4.6(40) vs 6'2 200 4.6(40): Winner Green

Does any of this really matter? NO

Just because you are a starter now, doesn't mean you are entitled to it all season. Let them battle at practice and lets play the best QB when game time comes, week to week. Like the black shirts, every position and all playing time is earned- no one is guaranteed to play. End of Debate.

Just 2 weeks ago people were unsure about Lee, now there is noway he can be unseated by a Freshman........

After 6 months the fan base see's no possible way so frosh can unseat this talented Lee............

Cody Green had a nice run against an exhausted, destroyed Sun Belt team, and suddenly the boards are alive with chatter than he's the starter by conference time. Never mind Zac's passing performance or the fact that he's got some wheels himself (which no doubt the coaches are reserving for a time when we need him to run)––just anoint Cody the starter.

I'm sorry if this is getting beaten to death; it's just amazing to me how little some people seem to think through anything around here. I know the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team, but most times fans at least wait for the starter to start sucking it up before they start chanting for jersey #17.

I repeat: it's possible that Cody ends up the guy this season, but there is nothing––I repeat, nothing––to base that off of except a big run against a defeated Sun Belt team and an offhand comment by Shawn Watson that Cody is making big gains in practice.

I'm as excited as anyone for Green's bright, bright future. I'd just hate to see an artificial QB controversy erupt and consume what would otherwise be good conversation on these boards.

:clap

As I said before, we all knew Cody could run. That was NEVER a question. Anyone shocked by that run must have never watched the kids highlight tapes. He constantly showed off his speed. The single biggest question about him was as a passer. And no one here got to see his abilities to actually go through his progressions, how he read a blitz, his ability to audible, ability to feel out the pocket, touch on his passes ... but yet, he is still getting talked about as a starter based off of one run?

This is the single biggest problem with our fan base and any fan base. They put unrealistic on these HS kids to perform at an obscene level. Even moreso when they are a freshman and flash ability.

Major Culbert should have a Thorpe Award by now for his performance against Mizzou.

Harrison Beck should have a National Championship and a Davey O'Brien Trophy for his throw under pressure against K-State.

The only reason Beck wouldn't have a Heisman yet is because Marlon Lucky is fresh off of winning his 2nd Heisman.

Barry Turner should be an All American now after his freshman campaign.

Jordan Congdon is working on a Groza while handing out kidneys, livers and spleens to the needy.

Steve Octavien proved he was the next greatest LB after his performance against Maine.

Niles Paul is the next Irving Fryar.

We all need to just chill, let Cody Green be the first Cody Green no matter how that turns out. The kid looks like he can be an incredible talent, but he's 18 years old and the last thing he needs is the weight of the Husker nation on his shoulders when the only thing he needs to be doing is learning and maturing.

:clap

As I said before, we all knew Cody could run. That was NEVER a question. Anyone shocked by that run must have never watched the kids highlight tapes. He constantly showed off his speed. The single biggest question about him was as a passer. And no one here got to see his abilities to actually go through his progressions, how he read a blitz, his ability to audible, ability to feel out the pocket, touch on his passes ... but yet, he is still getting talked about as a starter based off of one run?

This is the single biggest problem with our fan base and any fan base. They put unrealistic on these HS kids to perform at an obscene level. Even moreso when they are a freshman and flash ability.

Major Culbert should have a Thorpe Award by now for his performance against Mizzou.

Harrison Beck should have a National Championship and a Davey O'Brien Trophy for his throw under pressure against K-State.

The only reason Beck wouldn't have a Heisman yet is because Marlon Lucky is fresh off of winning his 2nd Heisman.

Barry Turner should be an All American now after his freshman campaign.

Jordan Congdon is working on a Groza while handing out kidneys, livers and spleens to the needy.

Steve Octavien proved he was the next greatest LB after his performance against Maine.

Niles Paul is the next Irving Fryar.

We all need to just chill, let Cody Green be the first Cody Green no matter how that turns out. The kid looks like he can be an incredible talent, but he's 18 years old and the last thing he needs is the weight of the Husker nation on his shoulders when the only thing he needs to be doing is learning and maturing.

I was able to catch a little bit of Unsportsmanlike Conduct this afternoon, and they were saying that Wats gave the QB's 300 or so plays and they were supposed to mark off every play that they felt comfortable running.

Cody Green marked off 14...

So? He should be the starter by midseason because...because...because...well because I say so! Damnit!! <_<

I attended the game Saturday and I honestly have to say it is within the realm of possibility that Cody Green takes over the starting spot some time this season.

I know it was only the first game, but there were a couple of concerns I had with Zac Lee. His eyes always locked in on the receiver. He had a tendency to slightly underthrow the ball. He looked more predictable with his handoffs on running plays. He got things done, but I didn't see him make things happen.

I'm not knocking the young man. He played well enough for game one and I'd certainly feel in safe hands having him as our starter. However, when Cody Green entered the game, I noticed something very special about him. He looked completely in control under center. There was a confidence about him. I thought he executed well and looked very crisp. Cody Green is not your average QB. He is something special, a playmaker. He's a guy that can make things happen. Will he be able to learn the entire playbook this year and take over as starter? I'm not so sure about that. I do believe our staff will give him some serious playtime this year and continually evaluate the QB position. This guy is so good he deserves to be considered as the starter.

As it stands, Lee will be our starter for awhile and I'm absolutely fine with that. I think as Husker fans we should be pleased to know we have two very capable young men at the QB position.

I attended the game Saturday and I honestly have to say it is within the realm of possibility that Cody Green takes over the starting spot some time this season.

I know it was only the first game, but there were a couple of concerns I had with Zac Lee. His eyes always locked in on the receiver. He had a tendency to slightly underthrow the ball. He looked more predictable with his handoffs on running plays. He got things done, but I didn't see him make things happen.

I'm not knocking the young man. He played well enough for game one and I'd certainly feel in safe hands having him as our starter. However, when Cody Green entered the game, I noticed something very special about him. He looked completely in control under center. There was a confidence about him. I thought he executed well and looked very crisp. Cody Green is not your average QB. He is something special, a playmaker. He's a guy that can make things happen. Will he be able to learn the entire playbook this year and take over as starter? I'm not so sure about that. I do believe our staff will give him some serious playtime this year and continually evaluate the QB position. This guy is so good he deserves to be considered as the starter.

As it stands, Lee will be our starter for awhile and I'm absolutely fine with that. I think as Husker fans we should be pleased to know we have two very capable young men at the QB position.

Agree with everything but this statement: "This guy is so good he deserves to be considered as the starter."

According to Green himself, he's only comfortable with "maybe 15" out of 320 plays. That's 5% of the playbook at best. He also didn't get a chance to play as much as Lee, so outside of running, he could potentially be unexcellent in every area...as far as any of us know.

You can't really evaluate him until he plays more. He won't play more until he learns more. He won't learn more until he has time to learn more.

So basically, I think we'll all just have to wait and see, before we can legitimately recycle Zac Lee and go "Green" :leghump:

Agree with everything but this statement: "This guy is so good he deserves to be considered as the starter."

According to Green himself, he's only comfortable with "maybe 15" out of 320 plays. That's 5% of the playbook at best. He also didn't get a chance to play as much as Lee, so outside of running, he could potentially be unexcellent in every area...as far as any of us know.

You can't really evaluate him until he plays more. He won't play more until he learns more. He won't learn more until he has time to learn more.

So basically, I think we'll all just have to wait and see, before we can legitimately recycle Zac Lee and go "Green" :leghump:

Well it is refreshing to see that others, including a knowledgeable Husker who attended the game shares my thoughts that Green may possibly be given an opportunity to lead this team, out of MERIT and/or necessity this season.

Granted he may not be up to the task and the Big Red will go as far as Zac can take us. I can live with that. I do however think there is a ceiling on that plan. I don't think those who claim Zac and these recievers are as good or better than Ganz and last year's WOs are truly knowledgeable fans.

When we face a real defense and you lock in on a reciever, you will get shut down. When you throw behind a reciever against a good defense you are not going to be successful and you will have some 'pick six'. Lee is not going to run much.

A simple playbook with a great athlete that adds another dimension to the game might well be better than a long playbook with a less athletic and versatile player when we play the biggies. Options well run with Helu, Burk. and Green will worry any defense in the Big 12. Only time will tell.

If our passing game under Lee does not really click against topflite opponents, our running game will get shut down. To me the obvious answer if that does happen, is to try Green. We'll have an idea as to what the coaches are thinking (again they would not have pulled the redshirt in the first game of the season to have him back up Lee for 2 years) as to when they use Green. Only in a mop up role or gets some snaps earlier in the game? If that happens you will know that the staff is thinking they may need him to start. Or so it seems to me.

I hope we are a dominant offensive team clicking on all cylinders or we try Green by the time we play Misery and then the rest of the Big XII. Fans can differ on how to get to the next level where we want to be. GBR

Here you go:

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2009/09/09...89308066200.txt

Issue settled for now.

Cody Green is only comfortable with about 15 of the ~320 plays in the playbook. Now lets focus on accolades for the starter for a bit shall we?

The issue is clearly not settled. Despite all evidence to the contrary, despite statements from the kid himself, despite his youth, despite his inexperience, despite everything to the contrary, we're going to be hearing "Green should be the starter" until he is the starter.

I'm just bracing myself for the inevitable, "Why isn't Tyler Gabbert starting" threads in the next year.

Some people just refuse to learn.