Green the starter by Conference time?

Billyball

Why not have our cake and eat it too?

Correct me if Im wrong, but Florida used Tebow and Chris Leak together on numerous occasions, where Tebow would be a running back and Leak would be a passing threat. We could do similar things given both of their arms and athletic ability. Hell, we could even use Lee in QB sneaks with Green on the field because of the threat he provides for the offense.

Watson will figure it out :)

Anyone else think that there is a good possibilty that Green will get more playing time and become the starter? I think it is within the realm and should Zac Lee have trouble leading the team Bo won't be afraid to move to Green. Not your average freshman

Why? What did you not like about Zac Lee out there? Did ZLEE burn timeouts, fumble snaps, throw erratic, get sacked, or looked confused and not confident?

I'm curious what you saw that should change the obvious football players mind, gameboy.

Idk why anyone would think that Green would unseat Zac for the starting job unless Lee got hurt.

No kidding. There seems to be a small element of fans who think that there's some sort of competition between the two, some kind of evenness that could very well result in Green starting despite the fact that Lee's been here for years already and is and has been the clear number 1 ever since Witt took off.

If Zac goes down, there will be Cody. I'm not even saying I'd think the season would be a disaster after that, but we do not want to put him in that position. His roll right now is perfect for a young talented player getting acclimated to an extremely difficult position. But Lee is the guy, head and shoulders. Period.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but a Red Shirt can be pulled midway through the season, right?

Why not just Redshirt Green, then if Lee goes down utilize him. If Lee stays healthy, then we'll have Green an extra year... We watched him play, adjusting to the speed of the college game didn't seem like much of an issue. I'm not sure I understand this move by the coaching staff. A backup QB is necessary, but I think we could take a chance with a Redshirt and hope Lee's pocket presence and quick release will keep him relatively healthy.

Okay.....let me start by sayimg that I thought Zac Lee did a fine job as the starting qb in his 1st start. I am in no way trying to say that Lee should not be the starter, BUT.....

Did anyone in the Omaha area watch "Sports Sound-off" (tv show at 10:35 on Chan. 3)? It is hosted by Travis Justice (douche), but also by Rob Zatechta (sp?).... This topic did come up, and Dr. Rob thought that Green would be the starter by mid-season.... In his opinion, he said he had listened to Watson, and that Green was "closer to Lee than people think". Dr. Rob thought that once Pelini decided to make Green the clear cut #2, that he would play him a bunch, including starting him. Both Justice and Rob said that NU didn't bring Green to Lincoln to be a 2 year starter. They both thought that Green would be at least a 3 yr guy and believed that this year he could start.

Let me repeat.... I did not say this, or necessarily agree with this... I like Lee, but it is nice to know that Cody is in the wings. The above was just a talk show opinion, but a show with a former Husker, who talks like he still has ties with the program.

Thank you, that has been what I believe is obvious as well. It is not a slap at Lee.

Look at the logic of the chatter here.

"Green is too valuable to reshirt"

and then:

"You idiot, Green is not as good as Lee and not good enough to start. Green will be the backup for two years and only play if Lee gets hurt..blah blah"

What seems obvious is that you would not burn a year of eligibility on a very talented QB given our thin ranks in that area unless you thought he had a chance to outplay the starter. Now this would be different if Lee were a senior. But you would not want Green type talent backing up a QB for two years and losing a 3 or 4 year starter like he portends to be. Sounds like more knowledgeable fans than me figured this out.

If Green comes along as they expect he will be the QB sooner rather than later....otherwise playing him in the first game made ZERO sense. Let's wait and see what happens.

"

What seems even more obvious is we are very thin at the QB spot and we need a backup with real experience in case Lee goes down. Hence you play your best #2 and that is, *gasp*, Green. But keep living in your fantasy world buddy, at least you're providing me some extra amusement.

Edit - Btw, this thread is Green :leghump: approved.

I thought they both played great. As someone mention, Lee was 15/22 and should have been at least 19/22. The one pick that he threw was not a bad decision, but a bad throw. His receiver had a step on his man, if he got some air under it, it was a potential touchdown. I agree with many of the posters on here, Lee looked extremely poised and didn't show signs of discomfort in the pocket. Again yes, this was a "scrimmage" as some have put it. But again, you cannot take any team lightly on a Saturday in football season, as it has already been proven in week 1 this year. We had two mountain west conference teams beat Big 12 teams. Ohio St should have been taken into OT at the very least, and Northern Iowa beat themselves when they had TWO chances to win it with a 40 yard field goal. Did we have more talent than FAU? In my opinion yes, however had we not shown up to play, who knows what could have happened.

Green came in and played his role well. He had a monster run and he can throw the ball on a line. Will he take Lee's job. In my opinion no, unless something unforeseen happens. After this year of grasping the offense and getting some playing time, could he start next year? Sure. Will he? Again, my opinion as of right now, no. He will defiantly attribute to the team this year and next. There very well may even be a game that he gets the winning score for us. I just think that Lee is the starter until he loses the job.

Sorry for rambling. There is my .02

So BillyBall, you going to dodge another post countering your argument or are you actually going to sit down and debate? Bring something to the table other than how your gut tells you Green will start by midseason and stop ignoring the facts people bring up (like how Lee has good speed and isn't the plodding elephant you make him out to be).

I don't see why green should start. But I will tell you this, I feel much more comfortable with our QB's this year. I feel very confident that Green could help out if called upon. But DAMN! Lee throws a nice tight spiral. We tighten up just a little bit on defense, look out.

I heard a stat the other nite. Someone please confirm. I think the announcers said we had 80 freshmen and sophmore's out of a 120 man roster. 14 Seniors....is thie correct?