Watson at Big Red Breakfast

Husker_x

Nebraskans are developing a deeper sense of appreciation for Shawn Watson, the Huskers' third-year offensive coordinator. Never was it more on display than this morning at the Big Red Breakfast.

Watson received an ovation as he walked in the door at the Holiday Inn convention center in addition to the standard applause as he took the podium to speak to the crowd.

The coach, in return, was candid about his feelings toward Nebraska.

"Honestly, I love Nebraska,” Watson said. “I've got the best assistant coach's job in the country. I do. There's no place that I'd rather be than right here."

Watson, who turns 50 this month, is considered a hot commodity in coaching. He pulled out of consideration for the coordinator job at Alabama before last season and has rebuffed other opportunities.

In his fourth season overall at NU, he gets mention among the top coordinators nationally.

Nebraska fans seem to have completely separated him from the Bill Callahan era. Watson was one of two holdovers from Callahan's staff. He came to Lincoln in 2006, hired by Callahan, with whom Watson had a relationship that dated back more than 20 years in coaching.

Watson, in fact, appears to have settled into the unofficial role of “second head coach” at Nebraska unlike any coordinator – perhaps aside from Bo Pelini in 2003 – since Charlie McBride retired a decade ago.

He insisted today that he has no desire to leave.

“As a coach, it's gratifying that you have people who really care about your program and appreciate you,” he said. “That's the stuff that really motivates me and helps me in my job.

“So I couldn't leave you guys. They couldn't pull me out of here.”

Watson was later asked to compare his experiences at Nebraska and Colorado. He served as an assistant coach from 1999 to 20005 at CU, the last six years as offensive coordinator.

With the tenuous coaching situation in Boulder, Watson would surely get mention as a candidate to take over if Dan Hawkins doesn't survive to coach another season at Colorado.

From the sounds of it, Watson may not be interested.

“It's night and day,” he said of the environments in Nebraska and Colorado. “It's not even close. The experience is real simple. Nebraska loves their team. Nebraska appreciates football. That's it. I mean, really, it's that simple. It's a passion. It's a love. It's not a convenience thing. There's a difference. There's a huge difference. Huge difference.”

The coach discussed many other topics today. Among the nuggets of information:

-- The Huskers are still moving slowly with offensive guard Keith Williams, who missed the season opener with a shoulder injury. Williams is expected to play Saturday against Arkansas State. Tight end Dreu Young is also set to make his season debut, though Andy Christensen doesn't appear likely to play as he deals with turf toe.

-- Starting quarterback Zac Lee misfired on only one pass in the season opener, his third-quarter interception. Among his other incompletions, four were dropped and two were thrown away, Watson said.

-- Lester Ward is emerging as the Huskers' No. 3 I-back behind Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead. But NU is also taking a look at Marcus Mendoza and true freshman Dontrayevous Robinson. Robinson and offensive tackle Jeremiah Sirles have been moved away from the scout team to prepare for game action if needed, though redshirts are possible for both.

-- Watson said he would consider using freshman quarterback Cody Green for a series in a non-blowout situation, though Green would have to earn the time.

-- Former quarterback Joe Ganz, on the sideline last week during the opener, may join the NU staff in some official role after the season. Watson said he and Pelini are for it.

We'll have a full report on Watson's presentation soon on the Big Red page and in the Metropolitan edition of The World-Herald.

LINK

----

While I know coaches are all versed on coachspeak, I think Watson may actually be serious about this. If the right HC job opened up, something at a major BCS school, it would be tempting. But God I hope he's happy here. As I've said all along, Watson was the one glittering diamond that rose to the surface after the Callahan swamp was drained. We are so fortunate to have him. I hope he stays and enjoys a long, prosperous partnership with Bo Pelini at Nebraska.

I like Watson and what he has done here, but when it gets down to crunch time, money talks. If he gets offered a HC position at a respectable school and takes it, I won't be mad. I hope he does enjoy his current role enough to stay, but I don't see him here past 2010. Just saying.......

GBR

I have to agree. As much as I like and appreciate Watson for being here, I couldn't fault the guy for taking a HC job somewhere.

I like Watson and what he has done here, but when it gets down to crunch time, money talks. If he gets offered a HC position at a respectable school and takes it, I won't be mad. I hope he does enjoy his current role enough to stay, but I don't see him here past 2010. Just saying.......

GBR

I have to agree. As much as I like and appreciate Watson for being here, I couldn't fault the guy for taking a HC job somewhere.

exactly... he is so qualified to be a HC; scary part was the talk about him going back to CU if Hawkins gets canned.

From the sounds though, he is very content where he is... I think he wants to win some national titles before going anywhere so he can sell recruits on how much he achieved during his time at NU, etc.

:bluffs

This comment says it all "I've got the best assistant coach's job in the country. I do." If he wants to be a HC again, having the best Assistant HC job in the Country won't cut it.

thats a good point... but I think working with a WINNING program and being around the likes of Bo and TO are all valuable experiences Wats could use to try the HC thing again... GOD, I hope I am wrong... just giving Wats the props. :leghump:

Nebraskans are developing a deeper sense of appreciation for Shawn Watson, the Huskers' third-year offensive coordinator. Never was it more on display than this morning at the Big Red Breakfast.

Watson received an ovation as he walked in the door at the Holiday Inn convention center in addition to the standard applause as he took the podium to speak to the crowd.

The coach, in return, was candid about his feelings toward Nebraska.

"Honestly, I love Nebraska,” Watson said. “I've got the best assistant coach's job in the country. I do. There's no place that I'd rather be than right here."

Watson, who turns 50 this month, is considered a hot commodity in coaching. He pulled out of consideration for the coordinator job at Alabama before last season and has rebuffed other opportunities.

In his fourth season overall at NU, he gets mention among the top coordinators nationally.

Nebraska fans seem to have completely separated him from the Bill Callahan era. Watson was one of two holdovers from Callahan's staff. He came to Lincoln in 2006, hired by Callahan, with whom Watson had a relationship that dated back more than 20 years in coaching.

Watson, in fact, appears to have settled into the unofficial role of “second head coach” at Nebraska unlike any coordinator – perhaps aside from Bo Pelini in 2003 – since Charlie McBride retired a decade ago.

He insisted today that he has no desire to leave.

“As a coach, it's gratifying that you have people who really care about your program and appreciate you,” he said. “That's the stuff that really motivates me and helps me in my job.

“So I couldn't leave you guys. They couldn't pull me out of here.”

Watson was later asked to compare his experiences at Nebraska and Colorado. He served as an assistant coach from 1999 to 20005 at CU, the last six years as offensive coordinator.

With the tenuous coaching situation in Boulder, Watson would surely get mention as a candidate to take over if Dan Hawkins doesn't survive to coach another season at Colorado.

From the sounds of it, Watson may not be interested.

“It's night and day,” he said of the environments in Nebraska and Colorado. “It's not even close. The experience is real simple. Nebraska loves their team. Nebraska appreciates football. That's it. I mean, really, it's that simple. It's a passion. It's a love. It's not a convenience thing. There's a difference. There's a huge difference. Huge difference.”

The coach discussed many other topics today. Among the nuggets of information:

-- The Huskers are still moving slowly with offensive guard Keith Williams, who missed the season opener with a shoulder injury. Williams is expected to play Saturday against Arkansas State. Tight end Dreu Young is also set to make his season debut, though Andy Christensen doesn't appear likely to play as he deals with turf toe.

-- Starting quarterback Zac Lee misfired on only one pass in the season opener, his third-quarter interception. Among his other incompletions, four were dropped and two were thrown away, Watson said.

-- Lester Ward is emerging as the Huskers' No. 3 I-back behind Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead. But NU is also taking a look at Marcus Mendoza and true freshman Dontrayevous Robinson. Robinson and offensive tackle Jeremiah Sirles have been moved away from the scout team to prepare for game action if needed, though redshirts are possible for both.

-- Watson said he would consider using freshman quarterback Cody Green for a series in a non-blowout situation, though Green would have to earn the time.

-- Former quarterback Joe Ganz, on the sideline last week during the opener, may join the NU staff in some official role after the season. Watson said he and Pelini are for it.

We'll have a full report on Watson's presentation soon on the Big Red page and in the Metropolitan edition of The World-Herald.

LINK

----

While I know coaches are all versed on coachspeak, I think Watson may actually be serious about this. If the right HC job opened up, something at a major BCS school, it would be tempting. But God I hope he's happy here. As I've said all along, Watson was the one glittering diamond that rose to the surface after the Callahan swamp was drained. We are so fortunate to have him. I hope he stays and enjoys a long, prosperous partnership with Bo Pelini at Nebraska.

Phil Elmassian?

Ok.

j/k

No, really, j/k.

A dancing banana cob?

:corndance

I just don't think the Colorado job is appealing to anyone who is a hot commodity at the time. Plus the fact that they are so cash strapped makes it hard for them to offer much to anyone other than someone who wants to take the chance. Granted there are more than likely fired coaches that are unemployed that may be interested but the Colorado job is nothing more than a ride on the hot seat or if successful, a stepping stone. Within a few years they will be, if not already, the Duke of our conference without a Bball team!!