Virginia Tech ran for 444 yards against Marshall today

papersun87

I noticed something yesterday that was a little disconcerning as well. We were starting to arm tackle in the 3rd quarter and just expecting guys to go down. There were more than a few times where it took their running back, receiver, QB, etc. three hits or so to go down. That's because our guys just assumed that since they popped them with their pads they were going to go down. They need to work on that in practice this week because VT will eat us alive if we tackle like that. I could care less though how many yards VT got against Marshall, they WON'T get that many yards against us. :bonez

I noticed something yesterday that was a little disconcerning as well. We were starting to arm tackle in the 3rd quarter and just expecting guys to go down. There were more than a few times where it took their running back, receiver, QB, etc. three hits or so to go down. That's because our guys just assumed that since they popped them with their pads they were going to go down. They need to work on that in practice this week because VT will eat us alive if we tackle like that. I could care less though how many yards VT got against Marshall, they WON'T get that many yards against us. :bonez

I noticed it too. I began to wonder if Cosgrove was back on the sideline again.

I was rewinding my DVR to see an exploding Carl Pelini. Here he was --> :bang:steam:bonez

:madash Friday night everybody was pretty concerned that this ASU team was going to be a lot more competitive then our previous opponent. Even read a lot of comments on how there was no way we were going to cover the spread. We end up stomping them into the turf and yet somehow we are back to the Callahan era! :facepalm::ahhhhhhhh

Here are some important stats from last year's game between VaTech and NU. Don't forget that this is roughly the same team from a year ago, except they don't have their starting running back and lost a few defensive starters.

VaTech:

1) They had 55 running attempts for 206 yards, averaging 3.7 yards per carry.

2) Had 171 net yards passing, and Taylor went 9 for 15.

3) Controlled T.O.P. 34:44 to 25:16.

NU:

1) Had 25 attempts for 55 yards.

2) Had 7 penalties for 69 yards.

3) Had three fumbles and lost 1.

I think these stats show us a couple things. First of all, they are most definitely going to run the ball and we are going to have to be pretty stingy about it. But on the positive side, when a team runs 55 times and you hold them 206 yards, that isn't necessarily all that bad. We have to be able to run the ball against them to be successful.

Second of all, it's apparent that when they pass they go for the big play, which is something we're going to have to limit. If he gets 171 yards passing on 9 completions, it shows they really don't like to throw the ball unless it is going to prove very beneficial.

Third of all, we are going to have to cut down on the penalties and fumbles if we are going to have a shot. We toned them down against ASU, but we still had nearly 40 yards taken away thanks to 3 penalties. We have yet to fumble the ball and have only thrown one interception in the last two games, which means our ball control is going great. But, VaTech has a solid defense, one much more talented than the ones we have faced. Ball security needs to be a huge point of emphasis this week.

If we can get Helu and Burkhead a good amount of touches, limit penalties, and maintain ball security, we are going to win and possibly have a big day against VaTech. Lack in those three areas, and we are going to face a similar outcome like last year.

I'm less concerned with the poor tackling then I am with the piss poor angles guys where taking that caused a lot of them. Unfortunately the D only seemed to get worse the more worn out they got towards the end of the game, especially the young LBs

Although I don't think it's fair to put all this on the LBs, because if you had watched West in the first half he looked like a chicken with his head cut of a few times.

The coaches have to get this taken care of before we get start into our in conference games, because the awful angles and mental miscues are the last thing I want to see this defense revert back to!

I'm less concerned with the poor tackling then I am with the piss poor angles guys where taking that caused a lot of them. Unfortunately the D only seemed to get worse the more worn out they got towards the end of the game, especially the young LBs

Although I don't think it's fair to put all this on the LBs, because if you had watched West in the first half he looked like a chicken with his head cut of a few times.

The coaches have to get this taken care of before we get start into our in conference games, because the awful angles and mental miscues are the last thing I want to see this defense revert back to!

I think the linebackers also played a huge role in the good running game that ASU was able to establish. I mean, they only average 3.9 yards a carry, but it's ASU, what is a good team such as VT going to do to our run D. I noticed the linebackers seemed to spread to far on most running plays and weren't plugging the holes they needed to. There was one play where ASU broke a 20 yard run, and like you said about West, he took one of the worst reads I have seen. He was supposed to keep outside contain (as the linebackers and d-linemen were pursuing from the inside), he made a bad read, and cut to the inside, allowing the back a clean sideline to sprint down. I know our linebackers are young, but they are very athletic and as the season rolls on, they will come into their own and I can see them being a dominating force by the end of the season.

I have complete faith in Bo and staff and they WILL get these issues on D shored up before the meat of our big 12 schedule and hopefully before the Va Tech and Mizzou games, otherwise we could be in for long days.

:restore

hahaha that's what I was thinking. Not cracking on Va Tech, because they are solid in the running game, but rolling up 444 yards against Marshall doesn't say anything about how they will do against a competitive team.

..... But the SOMEWHAT porous run D we have shown is worrying :hmmph

like ark st?

we'll know more when the mighty skers travel to VaTech.

GO BO!!

not gunna lie i've been very un impressed with the run D. VT showed depth this weekend against Marshall. this has me scared a bit.

The biggest thing we can do to help the run D is run the ball ourselves, some thing we didnt do much of last game. The O-line is going to have to pick it up this weekend and open the holes so we can win the T.O.P and thus win the game. keep our developing D off the field as much as possible.