In Case You Forgot...Here's What Were Against

craigsker

Taylor doesn't want to beat you with his arm. Our running QBs in the past didn't want to beat you with their arms. They threw the ball, like Taylor does today, to keep defenses honest. That's it.

I'm concerned about this game after watching ASU's QB get to the perimeter on our D a few times last week. We do that against Taylor... and he's gone.

Taylor doesn't want to beat you with his arm. Our running QBs in the past didn't want to beat you with their arms. They threw the ball, like Taylor does today, to keep defenses honest. That's it.

I'm concerned about this game after watching ASU's QB get to the perimeter on our D a few times last week. We do that against Taylor... and he's gone.

I agree. I think Pelini will make Taylor beat NU threw the air. The guy has some legs and will be a challenge for NU to contain him. That and thier running game has really picked of the pace last week.

They will be a tough team for NU to beat but they can do it if they want it enough.

I dont really know what to make of this game. Its going to be very close. If we can make Tyrod ineffective then we win, if he has a good day running or passing we dont. We have to make VTech rely on the other parts of their team rather than Tyrod. I know that isnt real deep in thought, but I really think Tyrod is the guy that makes this team go and if he gets shut down I dont forsee them moving the ball real well. But then agian we have to make sure we score some points as well, I think we are going to be happy we have a kicker with a 60 yd leg, because this one could and most likely will come down to special teams and a field goal.

Defensively, It's pretty simple....Must stop the run. In two weeks, the Hokies have shown they love to run so we have got to stop their running game and force Taylor to throw. The Crimson Tide game showed that if you can force them to throw, you can contain Taylor and get coverage sacks. But they just have to be wary and not let him get away and run off 10 or 15 yards.

Offensively, I think the Hokies going to have their hands full trying to stop Helu. Again, against Alabama they had a tough time stopping the run. I look for him to be motivated and make an impact this week. If he can get it going, then once they respect him, then it opens up our passing game. Make them try to stop 11 different receivers including a dangerous tight end. Nickel and dime them to death. If Zac Lee is the real deal, this is the game to show it. He's confident, he steps into the pocket, and he can throw deep. Hopefully, Saturday he's as cool as ice and play mistake-free football. Don't force any passes. If nothing is there, thrown it out-of-bounds. The offense has got to jump on these guys early and take the crowd out of the game. I also think Wats will dig deep into the playbook and pull out some trickery. Hopefully, no botched trick plays like last year, but don't be surprised if we see at least one trick play. My guess is that it will involve Niles Paul.

On special teams. A punt return for a TD, a recovered fumble on a kick, and pinning them on their heels at the 1 yard can spell the difference.

Finally, no going backwards. False starts will kill us against a team of this caliber. Holding penalties are probably inevitable, but stupid penalities like face masking and false starts have got to be avoided.

I hope I offered something fresh and didn't state the obvious. Hey, I'm just an arm-chair coach.

Hello Husker Nation from VT.

First and foremost, can't wait until Saturday. For those coming to the game, I hope you enjoy the VT gameday experience.

About Tyrod, he didn't really run any against Alabama. They spied him the entire game. He did break loose a few times against Marshall, granted it's Marshall. He's really been trying to be pass first and worked on this most during the offseason, but will run it the opportunity is there.

The guy on offense NU will have to contain the most though is r-freshman Ryan Williams. He had 2 touchdowns against Alabama. One of which was was a 32 yard run which was really impressive. Here it is:

He also had 3 touchdowns, playing only one half against Marshall, granted it's Marshall. Here are the highlights from the Marshall game. Williams is #34. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73bXYiBElA4

That's the first half highlights.

We also have a true freshman running back is darned good too, but now is third string because he hasn't the reps to learn all the blocking schemes yet. He was in on mop up duty during the second half and looked impressive. He will probably get a few snaps Saturday. He's #4. Here are the second half videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0xbm3obvFY...feature=related

I'll be lurking this week so if you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Yeah, I wasn't surprised to see the Freshmen RBs come to the fore for VT. It sucks that you guys lost Evans, but the guys you have are very good, even if they lack experience.

As good as your RBs are, though, the offense stops and starts with Taylor. We contain him, we have a chance. We let him get to the perimeter and we're screwed. Looking at film from our first two games, if the VT OC doesn't call Taylor's number early and often, he's a madman.

Welcome VTfan :cheers

Good stuff about your team. We've been a bend-dont-break defense for the most part, but VaTech's offense and skilled position players are far better than what we've seen. I'm pretty sure yall will chew up yardage and clock and score some points. I think most opponents struggle at Blacksburg and the Huskers will have their punter active. You're coach is awesome and very respectable. I think it will not come down to your offense vs our defense, but the other way around. The Huskers might turn the ball over a few times, could be some sacks, some short drives, but still have enough fire power to score enough points to squeak out a tough gritty win. This years offense has a lot of swagger and they've shown they are capable of moving the chains and scoring points in the redzone. The first two games were tune ups and exactly what they needed to have that confidence back heading out on the road. If yall do win (as favored), it'll be close either way. There's a lot of questions and "ifs" about both teams because its no cupcake matchup for either team. Its balls to the wall time!