Helu says he can do better

Omaha World Herald

LINCOLN — The grades are in from Roy Helu, and Nebraska's junior I-back is not happy with his performance through two weeks of the football season.

“Average,” Helu said.

Helu has rushed for 212 yards and averaged 7.1 per attempt but was held to 60 yards on 14 carries Saturday in the 38-9 win over Arkansas State.

He said he wants to lead the way for Nebraska to establish its running attack in every game.

“I've failed at times in providing that for our offense,” Helu said. “So I just need to be more consistent as a player, run as hard as I can and not think when I'm out there on the field.”

What does Helu envision for himself?

“Just having the passion to run the ball and represent our offense in the right way,” he said. “There's major improvements ahead.”

Martin explains helmet removal

Eric Martin offered an explanation for the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty called on him after he removed his helmet at the end of a second-quarter NU kickoff.

The freshman linebacker said he took a forearm in the throat from an Arkansas State player.

“I lost my airway, and my (chin strap) was over my mouth,” he said. “I couldn't breathe. I had to take my helmet off so I could get some air.”

Martin fell to the turf in apparent pain after the penalty was announced. The 15-yard foul was Martin's second in two games. He was flagged for a personal foul against Florida Atlantic.

He said Arkansas State used a double team to try to stop him on kickoff coverage in the first quarter before sending three players at him on the play that resulted in the penalty.

“I wasn't trying to fight them,” Martin said. “I was backing away. I didn't want no problems. I'm just trying to play football.”

Omaha World Herald

LINCOLN — The grades are in from Roy Helu, and Nebraska's junior I-back is not happy with his performance through two weeks of the football season.

“Average,” Helu said.

Helu has rushed for 212 yards and averaged 7.1 per attempt but was held to 60 yards on 14 carries Saturday in the 38-9 win over Arkansas State.

He said he wants to lead the way for Nebraska to establish its running attack in every game.

“I've failed at times in providing that for our offense,” Helu said. “So I just need to be more consistent as a player, run as hard as I can and not think when I'm out there on the field.”

What does Helu envision for himself?

“Just having the passion to run the ball and represent our offense in the right way,” he said. “There's major improvements ahead.”

Martin explains helmet removal

Eric Martin offered an explanation for the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty called on him after he removed his helmet at the end of a second-quarter NU kickoff.

The freshman linebacker said he took a forearm in the throat from an Arkansas State player.

“I lost my airway, and my (chin strap) was over my mouth,” he said. “I couldn't breathe. I had to take my helmet off so I could get some air.”

Martin fell to the turf in apparent pain after the penalty was announced. The 15-yard foul was Martin's second in two games. He was flagged for a personal foul against Florida Atlantic.

He said Arkansas State used a double team to try to stop him on kickoff coverage in the first quarter before sending three players at him on the play that resulted in the penalty.

“I wasn't trying to fight them,” Martin said. “I was backing away. I didn't want no problems. I'm just trying to play football.”

Helu should do better and if not give Lester Ward more snaps to get an idea of just how much is missing from our awareness of him!

There's a reason Burkhead is ahead of Ward on the depth chart.

I'm done with this helmet removal penalty on Martin. His explanation is ridiculous. No more silly excuses - stop the big penalties.

Burkhead isnt the issue, and the depth chart is ok with me. But Lester Ward runs different like J MCknight....once he gets some game you will see it too.

Not saying anything about the two ahead or behind him...just saying the guy needs to get more snaps and the rest of you will come along.

As for Martin, he took 2 & 3 guys on special teams leaving two guys like Thanarse, free...opposing coaches must have watched the film from game 1....Martin is a player, his explaination for removing the helmet is logical if it happened as he said, so be it, more of a natural reaction to a immediate crisis, than anything else... See how VT lines up on him, they have excellent spl teams and understand him as effective or ineffective....great coaches scheme the talent and find the weakness. Martin must have been percieved as a real threat to double or triple team him. Other players should see that as thier opportunity and give Martin an assist.

My understanding of Martin's helment coming off is that he said he got triple teamed and they had a forearm or something in his throat AND his chin strap came up over his face....he said he couldn't breath...

If this is the case, just rip your chin strap off and relax. But I can understand in the heat of the moment, and you're feeling trapped, doing what you gotta do. I am sure Bo has 'educated' him on his 2 PFs thus far. I like Martin's aggressiveness and knack to be around the ball, he just needs to relax a little and use his head.

GBR

I'm done with this helmet removal penalty on Martin. His explanation is ridiculous. No more silly excuses - stop the big penalties.

Burkhead isnt the issue, and the depth chart is ok with me. But Lester Ward runs different like J MCknight....once he gets some game you will see it too.

Not saying anything about the two ahead or behind him...just saying the guy needs to get more snaps and the rest of you will come along.

As for Martin, he took 2 & 3 guys on special teams leaving two guys like Thanarse, free...opposing coaches must have watched the film from game 1....Martin is a player, his explaination for removing the helmet is logical if it happened as he said, so be it, more of a natural reaction to a immediate crisis, than anything else... See how VT lines up on him, they have excellent spl teams and understand him as effective or ineffective....great coaches scheme the talent and find the weakness. Martin must have been percieved as a real threat to double or triple team him. Other players should see that as thier opportunity and give Martin an assist.

Ward might be the 2nd coming of Leon Jackson but not Joe Mcknight. Martin is a stud, no doubt.

i don't think its a silly excuse if two to three opposing players had you pinned down essentially choking you. Even if it wasn't a breathing issue, I'd have a hard time not getting kicked out of the game if it were me, lol.

i don't think its a silly excuse if two to three opposing players had you pinned down essentially choking you. Even if it wasn't a breathing issue, I'd have a hard time not getting kicked out of the game if it were me, lol.

:yeah I mean, really. The kid probably just tore through guys in high school and on Saturday he had 3 college veterans go to town on him. He has probably never been in that type of situation before and probably just did the easiest thing he could think of to keep breathing. Give the kid a break.

So... how can you say Ward is the next coming of Joe McKnight when he's taken a whole 2 snaps in college ball? Watching high school tape doesn't say squat about how a player will develop in college. Look at Marlon Lucky's tapes. In high school he absolutely dominated because he could just run away from everyone. When the speed is even, all bets are off. I'm not saying Marlon wasn't good, but he didn't live up to his 5 star hype.

Also, the coaches are all touting Ward as more of a bruiser back. Why would they be keeping him on the sidelines if he had Joe McKnight skill? The coaches see the kid every day in practice. I think if he was as good as you think he is... he would at least be ahead of Burkhead on the roster.... :blink:

:restore

Come on fellas, as much as we like Martin, dude was belly flopping on the field for several minutes and not on the sidelines. Taking the helmet off was a stupid mistake, he saw Bo and went "uh-oh" and put on a show for the world to see. All I'm saying is, he could have done that on the sideline. In other words, dude took a cheap shot, lost composure, took helmet off, got busted, flopped in response for sympathy. But that's just how I saw it plain and simple. Regardless it's over with.

As for Helu, yes he can bring it and do better. He will. Infact, by the time he walks onto the field he better be all "Bring it? Oh it's already brought-on" :)

For us to have a chance at VaTech he better bring and bring better than he ever has. We will not survive with an effort like last weekend. This is a tough defense and making us one dimensional is not good. The games really revolves around us being able to move the ball on the ground somewhat. If not Zac will be in for a long day I am afraid.

Time to step and play with the big boys.

in Helu's defense... I don't think he had an opportunity to get it going. the passing game was working, and we stuck to it. We ran it here and there, but never enough to get into the flow. If you look back, Helu is the type of guy that seems to heat up as the game progresses. He didn't really get that opportunity last week.

Would it be sweet if he started the game in 3rd quarter form? Absolutely. and this is the week I would hope to see that happen.

So... how can you say Ward is the next coming of Joe McKnight when he's taken a whole 2 snaps in college ball? Watching high school tape doesn't say squat about how a player will develop in college. Look at Marlon Lucky's tapes. In high school he absolutely dominated because he could just run away from everyone. When the speed is even, all bets are off. I'm not saying Marlon wasn't good, but he didn't live up to his 5 star hype.

Also, the coaches are all touting Ward as more of a bruiser back. Why would they be keeping him on the sidelines if he had Joe McKnight skill? The coaches see the kid every day in practice. I think if he was as good as you think he is... he would at least be ahead of Burkhead on the roster.... :blink:

:restore

We have had many such stories across husker history. Playing time will demonstrate what the kid has or does not have, there is no substitute for game experience. Not disputing the depth chart, R & R both know the plays and Watson requires that. LW tapes do illustrate his skills, his spring game stats were as good or better than everyone else, he has the skills to make a difference, remember last year after doses of Lucky and Helu, when Castille came in and changed the tempo? I do, and see this situation as the same or diversely similar.

MC Knight is a starter, we dont know how good LW is, but me thinks he is good enough to make those lower on the depth chart want to quit.

If he is as special as I've mentioned only game time snaps will illustrate it. Have no problem if it takes a while for his emergence, my contention is he will emerge, the intangibles are there, the history is there, there is nothing in the current equation that makes my assessment wrong...when LW gets his plays attitudes from the fan base will change.

Am not saying that LW has the hands needed to be an everdown starter, because I just dont know.

Its his running style that has me pumped. A Talent whose time will come.