Okafor

If you're smart enough to get a free ride to Stanford, how can you be dumb enough to end up at UNL?

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. But I think I take offense to it. :dunno

Maybe it's been a dream of his to play for Nebraska. Isn't he related somehow to Ahman Green? Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else...

I'm pretty sure that that's Niles Paul, or if you're ESPN, Paul Niles.

If you're smart enough to get a free ride to Stanford, how can you be dumb enough to end up at UNL?

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. But I think I take offense to it. :dunno

Maybe it's been a dream of his to play for Nebraska. Isn't he related somehow to Ahman Green? Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else...

I'm pretty sure that that's Niles Paul, or if you're ESPN, Paul Niles.

Oh yeah, that's right. Nephew or something. Well, forget that part of my previous post.

EDIT - and no, I'm not nervous. Kids leave programs all the time. Zac Lee or Cody Green or both could leave, and I'd be unhappy they left, but we'd still have 100+ guys on the team to root for.

Our starting offense and defense units could all quit the team, we could be forced to play our 2nd stringers throughout, get killed every game, and I'd still be screaming at the top of my lungs for them. You can't get too wrapped up in the status of one or two kids.

you know knapplc. you would have made a good KU football fan. to bad you chose the dark side.

Collins wouldn't have been accepted into Stanford based on academics, or his ACT/SAT score. He made the bare minimum to even be considered by Stanford, and his athletic abilities took over from there.

REALLY??? He graduated with a 4.0 GPA if my memory serves me correctly from Westside HS. Where did you get your facts? If you have proof of such scores please post them for eveyone!

OK, He left the team... He is also only 19 or 20. I for one wish him the best in anything he does in the future. Just because it didn't work out for him here doesn't mean he is a bad kid.

Collins wouldn't have been accepted into Stanford based on academics, or his ACT/SAT score. He made the bare minimum to even be considered by Stanford, and his athletic abilities took over from there.

REALLY??? He graduated with a 4.0 GPA if my memory serves me correctly from Westside HS. Where did you get your facts? If you have proof of such scores please post them for eveyone!

http://huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=...p;Q_SEASON=2009

Okafor is off to a strong start academically, carrying a 3.736 cumulative grade-point average in biological sciences after two semesters.

Big 12 Commissioner’s Spring Academic Honor Roll (2009)

Big 12 Commissioner's Fall Academic Honor Roll (2008)

<_<:hellloooo:thumbs

As far as not being able to get into Stanford I say :bs:

OK, He left the team... He is also only 19 or 20. I for one wish him the best in anything he does in the future. Just because it didn't work out for him here doesn't mean he is a bad kid.

3.5 actually according to Rivals, he is an extremely smart kid. I know some people at his former school. Yes he did go to Westside HS in Omaha. Some people spout off at the mouth about a kid before they now anything about him.

Sad to see him go, he is a good kid with a great attitude. Can't blame him, though. If you had the chance to go to Stanford for free when you know you aren't going to play pro ball, wouldn't you? Imagine his contacts out in the "real world" from a place like Stanford.

4.0 high school GPAs are more than a dime a dozen. Besides, Rivals reports a 3.5. It'd be easier to get a sense of this with things like college test scores, but they still reveal so little. An A GPA and a top 5% general standardized test score is going to describe just about the vast majority of applicants to schools like Stanford. He's got footballl, and there's no denying that that's a huge part of it.

It's impressive that he can maintain this level at any college, so that's no knock against him.

By the way: I'm not saying he ain't a smart kid, I'm sure he is - and his GPA at Nebraska proves that.

Also, I think it's a little dubious to claim that football players at a school like Stanford walk out with all sorts of "contacts" and academic benefits than those that graduate from anywhere else. The only thing it would give them is a prettier name on a sheet of paper. I'll bet you (most) Stanford football players don't go through the same rigor their other students do.

3.5 actually according to Rivals, he is an extremely smart kid. I know some people at his former school. Yes he did go to Westside HS in Omaha. Some people spout off at the mouth about a kid before they now anything about him.

Sad to see him go, he is a good kid with a great attitude. Can't blame him, though. If you had the chance to go to Stanford for free when you know you aren't going to play pro ball, wouldn't you? Imagine his contacts out in the "real world" from a place like Stanford.

I don't doubt that he could get into Stanford, but to assume that they will offer him a scholarship now as the equivalent of a JUCO transfer W/O a RS year to use I think is a stretch. Just because they wanted him 2 years ago, doesn't mean they would take him now. Jim H. has done a pretty fair job of recruiting the last couple of years and to offer Okafor a scholly for 2 years of playing time won't happen IMO.

Not going to argue his grades/ACT/SAT because i have no clue about any of those...

I do know he dropped out of Calc 1 in the summer before his freshman year.. 1st off, he was obviously intelligent to be IN the class, that's more the point im tryin to make here.. Cotton and Levorsen (sp) seemed to do pretty well, so i'm guessing Collins needed it for a math credit and didn't wanna take it then...I remember ben sayin somethin to the TA like collins just didn't like it, so whatever that means... So saying he's 'stupid' or whatever really isn't that accurate....

4.0 high school GPAs are more than a dime a dozen. Besides, Rivals reports a 3.5. It'd be easier to get a sense of this with things like college test scores, but they still reveal so little. An A GPA and a top 5% general standardized test score is going to describe just about the vast majority of applicants to schools like Stanford. He's got footballl, and there's no denying that that's a huge part of it.

It's impressive that he can maintain this level at any college, so that's no knock against him.

By the way: I'm not saying he ain't a smart kid, I'm sure he is - and his GPA at Nebraska proves that.

Also, I think it's a little dubious to claim that football players at a school like Stanford walk out with all sorts of "contacts" and academic benefits than those that graduate from anywhere else. The only thing it would give them is a prettier name on a sheet of paper. I'll bet you (most) Stanford football players don't go through the same rigor their other students do.

First of all, that prettier name carries a lot more weight than the University of Nebraska. If you don't believe that, I've got to ask that you put down that red kool-aid for a second. NU carries more weight athletically, don't even pretend that in academia we are close to Stanford. Just sayin'.

Secondly, I meant through academic contacts, not football. His GPA at UNL in biological sciences would show that he has academic endeavors that are going to last much longer than his football career. Sounds like Mr. Okafor is using CFB for what it was originally meant to be used for. A means to an end, play football for us and we give you your education.

Of course this is all speculation as we have no idea of his plans at this point, do we?

Oh, I do believe that - believe me, I have no delusions about UNL's academic prestige. But these are students going to Stanford to play Division 1 football. I think people will recognize that and see it differently than someone who came through Stanford on their own academic merits.

But fair enough - we do have no ideas about his plans at this point and this discussion is probably jumping the gun.

I do know he dropped out of Calc 1 in the summer before his freshman year..

To just touch on that point, I think somewhere around 90% of Stanford biology students took Calc their senior year of HS or before. If that was his first Calc course, and he not only got offered admission, but a full ride to Stanford, I think that says something (and it's not a bad thing).

im going to go ahead and say that his grades being enough to get into a school like stanford is pushing it. stanford is becoming more prestigous than harvard for that matter. I graduated last year and we had a kid who had like a 4.2 gpa and a 34 on his act. im pretty sure i remember him saying he didnt get accepted. none the less he is now at Yale, ha but just a point to make. im sure the majority of it was based on athletic ability, with a plus that he has good grades.

Oh, I do believe that - believe me, I have no delusions about UNL's academic prestige. But these are students going to Stanford to play Division 1 football. I think people will recognize that and see it differently than someone who came through Stanford on their own academic merits.

But fair enough - we do have no ideas about his plans at this point and this discussion is probably jumping the gun.

I do know he dropped out of Calc 1 in the summer before his freshman year..

To just touch on that point, I think somewhere around 90% of Stanford biology students took Calc their senior year of HS or before. If that was his first Calc course, and he not only got offered admission, but a full ride to Stanford, I think that says something (and it's not a bad thing).

Oh, I was never arguing that he wasn't getting a little help from football. To deny that would be asinine. Sorry, missed pointing that out earlier.

Whatever he decides, good luck to him!

Not going to argue his grades/ACT/SAT because i have no clue about any of those...

I do know he dropped out of Calc 1 in the summer before his freshman year.. 1st off, he was obviously intelligent to be IN the class, that's more the point im tryin to make here.. Cotton and Levorsen (sp) seemed to do pretty well, so i'm guessing Collins needed it for a math credit and didn't wanna take it then...I remember ben sayin somethin to the TA like collins just didn't like it, so whatever that means... So saying he's 'stupid' or whatever really isn't that accurate....

I wasn't calling him stupid by any means, I know he's a bright kid. I lived on the same floor as him last year, so I got the chance to become decent friends with him. For some reason he liked to hang out with me and another average-joe friend and play Rockband every night, so we really got to understand what he went through.

That said, having come out of high school 2 years ago, I can vouch that you need more than just a 4.0 in high school to go to Stanford or Ivy leagues. A 4.0 in high school isn't overwhelmingly hard to achieve, which is why Stanford requires a very high SAT score.