A short story...

I played high school football in Florida. During my junior year, we played a jamboree game (a half-game exhibition) to kick off the season against a team we were expected to trounce. We were up 14-0 with less than ten seconds left in the half. One of our safeties committed the same error that O'Hanlon made on Saturday. We won 14-7, but that was essentially a loss for us. Our position coach went nuts in the locker room. He did not single out the individual, but he blew a gasket while chewing out the entire team for that one play. That player did not show up for the next practice and quit the team without a word.

So this position coach basically drove a high school kid out of the sport because of one mistake made during an exhibition game? Sounds like a colossal di**head that shouldn't be coaching kids.

Well, while his words drove the kid to quit the kid is the one who made the ultimate decision. I can see what you're saying though.

A short story...

I played high school football in Florida. During my junior year, we played a jamboree game (a half-game exhibition) to kick off the season against a team we were expected to trounce. We were up 14-0 with less than ten seconds left in the half. One of our safeties committed the same error that O'Hanlon made on Saturday. We won 14-7, but that was essentially a loss for us. Our position coach went nuts in the locker room. He did not single out the individual, but he blew a gasket while chewing out the entire team for that one play. That player did not show up for the next practice and quit the team without a word.

So this position coach basically drove a high school kid out of the sport because of one mistake made during an exhibition game? Sounds like a colossal di**head that shouldn't be coaching kids.

Well, while his words drove the kid to quit the kid is the one who made the ultimate decision. I can see what you're saying though.

Big difference between the two, one is a high school kid during an exhibition game. That is inexcusable, that coach should never be in charge of young people ever again. High school students are supposed to be built up and supported by their coaches. They are supposed to trust their coaches and believe they have their best interest at heart. This coach is a real piece of shitt.

The other is a college player getting a free education, but still a kid. I guarantee you the coaches didn't treat him this same way. Sanders even took the blame for it publicly.

NFL player, fine. College, maybe. High School, unacceptable.

Watch the actual game film and not just the angles and coverage you get from the ESPN highlites. Then, you might notice not only West leaving his man for O'Hanlon to cover but also the CB getting beat on the other side on a nice post route while the weak side safety backpedals to...somewhere totally out of the play. So...which of the two guys does O'Hanlon cover? Leaving a guy naked out there and then riding him for a blown coverage is real bad form. Want to ride somebody? Start with the CB's. From what I can see, neither one provided consistent lock-down defense on the VT receivers.

I've not bothered to read the entire 3 pages, but I noticed this post and wondered. Are you talking about the TD or the long pass to set up the TD?

Watch the actual game film and not just the angles and coverage you get from the ESPN highlites. Then, you might notice not only West leaving his man for O'Hanlon to cover but also the CB getting beat on the other side on a nice post route while the weak side safety backpedals to...somewhere totally out of the play. So...which of the two guys does O'Hanlon cover? Leaving a guy naked out there and then riding him for a blown coverage is real bad form. Want to ride somebody? Start with the CB's. From what I can see, neither one provided consistent lock-down defense on the VT receivers.

I've not bothered to read the entire 3 pages, but I noticed this post and wondered. Are you talking about the TD or the long pass to set up the TD?

Gotta be the long pass. Amukamara was on the WR who caught the TD, and it was decent coverage, too. Just a good play by the QB and WR. :hmmph

A short story...

Big difference between the two, one is a high school kid during an exhibition game. That is inexcusable, that coach should never be in charge of young people ever again. High school students are supposed to be built up and supported by their coaches. They are supposed to trust their coaches and believe they have their best interest at heart. This coach is a real piece of shitt.

The other is a college player getting a free education, but still a kid. I guarantee you the coaches didn't treat him this same way. Sanders even took the blame for it publicly.

I am rather surprised that this seems odd to anyone. Did any of you play football? It's an honest question and nothing more. From my personal experience, being a di**head was a prerequisite to being a football coach.

Verbal attacks were the least of my concern. We were doing a one-on-one tackling/hitting drill on one occasion between the running backs and the secondary. The running backs were getting the better of us and this same coach (Mike Davis) got upset and started grabbing us by the back of the shoulder pads and pants and throwing us at the ball carriers (he was a really big guy). He later became the head coach at another high school (Bayside HS in Palm Bay, Florida) and was there for five years. He was my secondary coach when I attended Palm Bay HS.

Cheap shots, dirty hits, and late hits were the culture at practice. The upperclassmen took it out on the underclassmen (we ran varsity against JV during practice) and the coaches just turned a blind eye. You didn't complain. You just took it and continued on. The AD/head coach at Bayside HS now (Derek Smith) was a senior starting varsity center during my sophomore year at PBHS and he was one of our dirtiest players. He blindsided me with late hits until I learned that the whistle meant nothing during practice.

None of my coaches were nice guys, but getting yelled at by them was the very least of my worries.

Gotta be the long pass. Amukamara was on the WR who caught the TD, and it was decent coverage, too. Just a good play by the QB and WR. :hmmph

I haven't seen aerial shots of the TD, but if he is talking about the long pass, then he is wrong, really wrong in fact.

West did release the WR to O'Hanlon, that much is right. But that's about it.

Amukamara, who was the opposite side CB never got beat. Even Sanders said as much the next day. The WR that Prince was covering looked like he was running a skinny post, but gave up on the route rather quickly. The inside WR that was on Prince's side was covered by Hagg. That WR had Hagg beat and was running a simple 10 yard out. The skinny post that Prince's WR ran got broken off in almost the same spot. Prince was actually looking into the backfield and saw Tyrod loading to throw. Prince was already breaking on the ball to get an easy pick 6 if Tyrod throws it. Unfortunately for us, Tyrod pulled it back in.

After this, Prince picked up the RB that snuck out of the backfield to his side. Hagg stayed on his man and the LB (Compton?) picked up the WR who had broken off his route. Asante hardly even moves the entire time letting this all occur in front of him but not allowing anyone to get behind him. All the while he kept his body square and never bit on anything.

On the opposite side, West let the outside WR go past. The inside WR (Greg Boone?) ran an in which would have been a 10 yard gain had Thorell not had him blanketed.

This is where O'Hanlon messes up .. badly. On the pump fake, where Prince breaks hard on the ball that Tyrod nearly threw, O'Hanlon also bit and turned to run towards the play, putting his back to the WR that West had released. That is his 1st mistake.

His next mistake is that after Tyrod reset and looked back to his side of the field, O'Hanlon stays flat footed the entire time.

And his last mistake is that the WR who caught the long pass was not even behind him when Tyrod begins to throw the pass. That WR should have actually been in his sight pattern as he was actually a couple yards in front of O'Hanlon, although he was on the sideline. Even when the ball was released and Tyrod took the hit, he had not gotten past O'Hanlon. But due to O'Hanlon being caught flat footed, he could not turn, break and run as quickly as he should have been.

Marvin Sanders was pretty much completely right. If Prince doesn't essentially cover two men on the same play so well, we don't know about any of this. Simple 5-10 yard gain and we moved onto the next play.

Got to give Tyrod his credit for pulling that one back in and not just throwing it away as I would guess alot of QB's would have in this situation.

A short story...

I am rather surprised that this seems odd to anyone. Did any of you play football? It's an honest question and nothing more. From my personal experience, being a di**head was a prerequisite to being a football coach.

Verbal attacks were the least of my concern. We were doing a one-on-one tackling/hitting drill on one occasion between the running backs and the secondary. The running backs were getting the better of us and this same coach (Mike Davis) got upset and started grabbing us by the back of the shoulder pads and pants and throwing us at the ball carriers (he was a really big guy). He later became the head coach at another high school (Bayside HS in Palm Bay, Florida) and was there for five years. He was my secondary coach when I attended Palm Bay HS.

Cheap shots, dirty hits, and late hits were the culture at practice. The upperclassmen took it out on the underclassmen (we ran varsity against JV during practice) and the coaches just turned a blind eye. You didn't complain. You just took it and continued on. The AD/head coach at Bayside HS now (Derek Smith) was a senior starting varsity center during my sophomore year at PBHS and he was one of our dirtiest players. He blindsided me with late hits until I learned that the whistle meant nothing during practice.

None of my coaches were nice guys, but getting yelled at by them was the very least of my worries.

This type of stuff was the norm when I played ball only 10 years ago. F*&k, now I feel old for some reason? :lol:

I played safety in my day and what is the one rule that you get grilled into you every day? "Deeper than the deepest!" You hear it in high school and college. "Deeper than the deepest!" In Cover 2 your safeties are providing over the top help (either man or zone) and O Hanlon knew he had deep coverage.

Don't you hear it all the time about "letting them have all the underneath stuff they want?" Underneath the safeties because they are deeper than the deepest. I think OHanlon got caught looking into the backfield and waiting for a tackle instead of staying with the receiver. Afterall, he was the safety who did he think he was releasing the receiver to?

Look the bottom line OHanlon knew he blew because as one poster posted a story about him crying to his wife. Did he lose the game? No, the entire team did a pretty effective job at that. Did he blow his assignment on that play? Yes. Deeper than deepest OHanlon.

OHanlon is a walk on and has played pretty well to date. I'm a bigger fan of Thenarse but apparently that guy can't play within the scheme of what Carl and Bo want to do. So I say, Go Matt! Better days are ahead my friend.

GBR!

A short story...

Yes, as most of us grew up in the state of Nebraska I would say almost all of us played at least High School football. Sorry, pal, this isn't normal behavior from a HS coach. As a coach myself and someone that is in charge of young people all day long I will tell you this guy is a worthless human being. You can yell, but it is a team game so pointing it all on one player does wonders for your unity as a team :thumbs . You also have to know who can handle the yelling and who can't. Square peg, round hole idea.

Also, if this information got out he would be in deep stuff. Picking up and throwing a high school student, no matter the intent, is assault of a minor. He is an idiot.

So the culture is one of dirtiness, how many penalties did you guys get? How many cost you games? How many kids were seriously injured in practice? If there weren't any, you guys were lucky.

As a former college athlete, I will tell you that this didn't even happen at that level. You cannot have a successful team by running a program that has no discipline.

A short story...

double trouble post...

A short story...

I am an accredited coach (in another sport) and I've seen my share of verbal (and other) abuse. For some reason it seems to be socially acceptable for coaches to abuse kids, although I think that attitude is changing. I am not naive to the fact that some football coaches (and coaches in other sports) treat kids this way. But it's wrong.

It should be completely unacceptable to abuse kids while teaching them sports. I've seen coaches exhibit behaviors that would get them arrested if they did it in some other context other than under the guise of "coaching". And believe me, football doesn't have a monopoly on abusive coaches. You see it in all sports. My oldest daughter was a gymnast and we experienced it there. Some coaches are abusive because they had coaches that were abusive so they think that's how it's done. Other coaches use the cloak of "coaching" as a way to manifest their abusive personalities. It's BS.

I'm not talking about pushing kids hard or yelling at kids; sometimes that is the only way to get through to them. But you can't let it cross over the line to abuse. There are plenty of damn fine football coaches that don't cross over the line. Kids can and will make mistakes. A good coach uses mistakes as a teaching opportunity. We are teachers first. You don't learn math, spelling or history under the threat of verbal or physical abuse. And you shouldn't have to learn sports under that threat, either. People that don't understand that have no business teaching kids.

"A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment." - John Wooden

Bo hinted during his Tuesday Post- practice press conference that the big pass play was just not O'Hanlon's fault, but other breakdowns in the coverage as well.

In anycase he also mentioned that Thenarse and P.J. Smith would be seeing more playing time.

Bo did however mentioned that it was O'Hanlon who saved the Gator Bowl game by breaking up that pass.

A short story...

I am an accredited coach (in another sport) and I've seen my share of verbal (and other) abuse. For some reason it seems to be socially acceptable for coaches to abuse kids, although I think that attitude is changing. I am not naive to the fact that some football coaches (and coaches in other sports) treat kids this way. But it's wrong.

It should be completely unacceptable to abuse kids while teaching them sports. I've seen coaches exhibit behaviors that would get them arrested if they did it in some other context other than under the guise of "coaching". And believe me, football doesn't have a monopoly on abusive coaches. You see it in all sports. My oldest daughter was a gymnast and we experienced it there. Some coaches are abusive because they had coaches that were abusive so they think that's how it's done. Other coaches use the cloak of "coaching" as a way to manifest their abusive personalities. It's BS.

I'm not talking about pushing kids hard or yelling at kids; sometimes that is the only way to get through to them. But you can't let it cross over the line to abuse. There are plenty of damn fine football coaches that don't cross over the line. Kids can and will make mistakes. A good coach uses mistakes as a teaching opportunity. We are teachers first. You don't learn math, spelling or history under the threat of verbal or physical abuse. And you shouldn't have to learn sports under that threat, either. People that don't understand that have no business teaching kids.

"A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment." - John Wooden

Fantastic :thumbs

Bo hinted during his Tuesday Post- practice press conference that the big pass play was just not O'Hanlon's fault, but other breakdowns in the coverage as well.

In anycase he also mentioned that Thenarse and P.J. Smith would be seeing more playing time.

Bo did however mentioned that it was O'Hanlon who saved the Gator Bowl game by breaking up that pass.

O'Hanlon made the team as an uninvited walk-on in 2005 and last year he started nine games and rank third on the team in tackles. His pass breakup against C.J. Spiller of Clemson helped save the Huskers' Gator Bowl win.

This year, O'Hanlon's 15 tackles rank third on the team. He's forced a fumble and intercepted a pass.

And his sack of Taylor for an 8-yard loss on the play immediately after the 81-yard pass put the Huskers back in position to win.

I'd take this kid on my team anyday!