The NEW MU v. NU Thread

Yes, absolutely, we are. But this is one of the youngest teams in college football, and they're 4-0, which is the best they could hope for. They got up for a rivalry game against UI. Then, they slept walked against a couple of teams for a bit in Nevada and Bowling Green, but they turned it on once they saw it wasn't going to be a cake walk. Furman doesn't count. All of our starters were out by the start of the second half. That being said, you can bet their ass that we'll be up for you guys. We always get up to play Nebraska. It will be a dog fight.

As an FYI - Nebraska has a younger team than Missouri. Here's a breakdown of each team's rosters:

Year	MU	NU
FR	  29	40
RFR	 23	40
SO	  25	22
RSO	  7	 0
JR	  17	26
RJR	  2	 0
SR	  13	14
TOTAL  116	142

56% of Nebraska's roster are Freshmen or Redshirt Freshmen, compared to 45% of Missouri's. We have only one more Senior on our roster than Missouri. So these are both pretty young teams, and yet only one of us is using our youth as an explanation for why we've played erratically this year. A point to ponder.

Nice stats, Dahli Lama of the Huskerboard.

Now....what is the breakdown of the starting 22 + 2?

Or how about just key positions.

Please research and get back to me.

I got fed up with the bantering, so I went to the Rivals site of each and counted off their two-deep. After all, those are the players who are really seeing the field.

For NU (in their two-deep, mind you):

FR - 11

SO - 8

JR - 15

SR - 10

So, they have 19 underclassmen playing significant snaps, but 25 upperclassmen.

For MU (in their two-deep):

FR - 9

SO - 20

JR - 7

SR - 8

So, MU has 29 underclassmen playing significant snaps, but onl 15 upperclassmen.

So, there. Mizzou is younger in key positions. That also means more of your starters will remember the ass whipping they've received the last two years. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

56% of Nebraska's roster are Freshmen or Redshirt Freshmen, compared to 45% of Missouri's. We have only one more Senior on our roster than Missouri. So these are both pretty young teams, and yet only one of us is using our youth as an explanation for why we've played erratically this year. A point to ponder.

Try the 2 deep and get back to me.

Do you guys even know where to find stats like this, or grasp how to set them up in a usable fashion? Why make me do all the heavy lifting here? Anyway, since you asked, the two-deeps are remarkably similar. Nebraska has a slightly "older" two-deep than Missouri.

MISSOURI

OFFENSE		
SO	FR	Left tackle
SO	SO	Left guard
JR	RFR	Center
SR	SO	Right guard
SO	FR	Right tackle
SO	SO	Tight end
SO	SO	Quarterback
JR	SO	Tailback
SR	SO	X-receiver
SR	SO	H-receiver
SO	SO	Z-receiver
DEFENSE		
SO	RFR	Defensive end
SO	SO	Defensive tackle
SR	RFR	Nose tackle
SR	RFR	Defensive end
SR	FR	Weakside linebacker
JR	SO	Middle linebacker
JR	RFR	Strongside linebacker
JR	SO	Cornerback
JR	RFR	Cornerback
SO	JR	Free safety
SR	SR	Strong safety

NEBRASKA

OFFENSE		
SR	SO	Wide Receiver (X)
JR	SO	Left Tackle
JR	SR	Left Guard
SR	SO	Center
JR	SR	Right Guard
SO	JR	Right Tackle
JR	JR	Tight End
JR	FR	Wide Receiver (Z)
JR	FR	Quarterback
RFR	SO	Fullback
JR	FR	I-Back
DEFENSE		
SR	RFR	Left Defensive End
SR	SO	Defensive Tackle
SO	RFR	Defensive Tackle
JR	RFR	Right Defensive End
SO	JR	WILL
RFR	SR	MIKE
RFR	RFR	BUCK
JR	JR	Left Cornerback
SR	RFR	Strong Safety
SR	SR	Free Safety
JR	SO	Right Cornerback

The position breakdown looks like this:

MU	1D	2D
FR	 0	3
RFR	0	6
SO	 9	11
JR	 6	1
SR	 7	1

NEB	1D	2D
FR	 0	3
RFR	3	5
SO	 3	6
JR	 10	4
SR	 6	4

You guys still want to hold on to the notion that Missouri is younger than Nebraska? They are marginally younger because of all the starting Sophomores, but the Tigers don't start anyone younger than that, while Nebraska starts three Redshirt Freshmen. Missouri starts one more Senior than the Huskers, while Nebraska starts four more Juniors. I'd call it a wash, but I'm willing to give you the title of "younger" team.

And this is your iron-clad excuse for struggling with the likes of Bowling Green and Nevada. Makes perfect sense to me.

some valid pts in all this hot air, some are comical, like Lee has a big arm? Huh? Havn't seen him throw a decent deep ball in all the snaps I have seen, he isn't much of a runner or scrambler either. when running has been unimpressive with decisions. His strength is standing in the pocket and throwing good passes short and medium depths where he has a nice touch. TE's are your best at catching the ball, wr's have been inconsistant. Oline about average, very susceptable to speed rushers off the edge, decent run blocking. Helu is bigtime but can he stand up to being the workhorse in conference play? If he does he will have some bigtime stats, very good in open field.

MU has better skilled players but as someone mentioned, how do they execute and no they don't have grt runners in the open field like a maclin but DA is damn good, just won't run away from you as Jmac could.

Will be a good game and will stop all this talk, results will be what matters.

Yes, absolutely, we are. But this is one of the youngest teams in college football, and they're 4-0, which is the best they could hope for. They got up for a rivalry game against UI. Then, they slept walked against a couple of teams for a bit in Nevada and Bowling Green, but they turned it on once they saw it wasn't going to be a cake walk. Furman doesn't count. All of our starters were out by the start of the second half. That being said, you can bet their ass that we'll be up for you guys. We always get up to play Nebraska. It will be a dog fight.

Bob...I've already tried to explain this to them, so get ready for a shootdown.

My view of Mizzou so far.

In the Illinois game, the Illini (no matter how bad they are now) were expected to roll over Mizzou.

Analysts thought it.

Vegas thought it.

Mizzou had zero chance.

Mizzou played tremendously.

They were a very young team and they let success go to their head early.

BIG BIG let down against Bowling Green. Sleepwalking through the first half.

Showed tremendous moxie by coming back and winning.

Mizzou of the 80's - 90's would have rolled over like the Huskers did to Mizzou last year.

Furman, cakewalk.

Nevada. Once again, experts thought this was 'their' year.

There was scuttlebut about them possibly beating Notre Dame.

They wound up laying a couple of eggs and then................COME HOME......to play a Top 25 program.

Home team, trying to make a statement tries to hang with Mizzou. Can't.

A TD within the last 2 minutes makes it a respectable score.

I think Gary Pinkel has been playing it very close to the vest.

He's a smart dude that has been in the Big XII for 8-9 years now.

Did he think he was going to win the National Championship?

Hell no.

He has played very vanilla offensive and defensive schemes while his players mature.

I can guarantee you he'll have the young Tigers ready for the Huskers and the rest of the Big XII season.

Do you realize that Perry actually beat out Maclin back in '06? Be afraid.

I think you just inadvertently compared your beloved Tigers to Bowling Green :hellloooo

:cheers

As an FYI - Nebraska has a younger team than Missouri. Here's a breakdown of each team's rosters:

Year	MU	NU
FR	  29	40
RFR	 23	40
SO	  25	22
RSO	  7	 0
JR	  17	26
RJR	  2	 0
SR	  13	14
TOTAL  116	142

I got fed up with the bantering, so I went to the Rivals site of each and counted off their two-deep. After all, those are the players who are really seeing the field.

FR - 11

SO - 8

JR - 15

SR - 10

FR - 9

SO - 20

JR - 7

SR - 8

So, MU has 29 underclassmen playing significant snaps, but onl 15 upperclassmen.

So, there. Mizzou is younger in key positions. That also means more of your starters will remember the ass whipping they've received the last two years. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

You might try each team's actual factual website, rather than Rivals. Regardless, none of this is an excuse for having to work so hard so late in the game to put away the weak teams you've played.

Year	MU	NU
FR	  29	40
RFR	 23	40
SO	  25	22
RSO	  7	 0
JR	  17	26
RJR	  2	 0
SR	  13	14
TOTAL  116	142

FR - 11

SO - 8

JR - 15

SR - 10

FR - 9

SO - 20

JR - 7

SR - 8

You might try each team's actual factual website, rather than Rivals. Regardless, none of this is an excuse for having to work so hard so late in the game to put away the weak teams you've played.

Rivals does incredible work, so I don't debate the validity of my post.

I agree that they shouldn't have struggled, but they did. I chalk it up to immaturity and not handling success well. I'm glad it happened to them in non-conference, rather than in Big XII play. Still, they're talented, and I expect they'll be jacked up to play the vaunted Huskers.

I agree that they shouldn't have struggled, but they did. I chalk it up to immaturity and not handling success well. I'm glad it happened to them in non-conference, rather than in Big XII play. Still, they're talented, and I expect they'll be jacked up to play the vaunted Huskers.

Why do you think their immaturity will have vanished? What will stop it from happening all year?

Bob...I've already tried to explain this to them, so get ready for a shootdown.

My view of Mizzou so far.

In the Illinois game, the Illini (no matter how bad they are now) were expected to roll over Mizzou.

Analysts thought it.

Vegas thought it.

Mizzou had zero chance.

Mizzou played tremendously.

They were a very young team and they let success go to their head early.

BIG BIG let down against Bowling Green. Sleepwalking through the first half.

Showed tremendous moxie by coming back and winning.

Mizzou of the 80's - 90's would have rolled over like the Huskers did to Mizzou last year.

Furman, cakewalk.

Nevada. Once again, experts thought this was 'their' year.

There was scuttlebut about them possibly beating Notre Dame.

They wound up laying a couple of eggs and then................COME HOME......to play a Top 25 program.

Home team, trying to make a statement tries to hang with Mizzou. Can't.

A TD within the last 2 minutes makes it a respectable score.

I think Gary Pinkel has been playing it very close to the vest.

He's a smart dude that has been in the Big XII for 8-9 years now.

Did he think he was going to win the National Championship?

Hell no.

He has played very vanilla offensive and defensive schemes while his players mature.

I can guarantee you he'll have the young Tigers ready for the Huskers and the rest of the Big XII season.

Do you realize that Perry actually beat out Maclin back in '06? Be afraid.

I think you just inadvertently compared your beloved Tigers to Bowling Green :hellloooo

:cheers

Huh? :wtf

Why do you think their immaturity will have vanished? What will stop it from happening all year?

I don't have any actual proof. You're right. But I do believe that playing a ranked Nebraska team (a program that MU has targeted for decades) will get these youngsters excited. Most of them remember the game two years ago and how incredible the environment was. I believe they'll want to replicate that moment. There's no way they won't be focuse to play the Big Red.

some valid pts in all this hot air, some are comical, like Lee has a big arm? Huh? Havn't seen him throw a decent deep ball in all the snaps I have seen

Whatever little credibility you had is gone. You've obviously not watched Lee . . . except for maybe the VaTech game. Lee has the strongest arm of any Nebraska qb in recent memory. And he throws an outstanding deep ball. For your convenience, check out the pass to Curenski Gilleyen in the FAU game. (or pretty much any deep pass to number 11.)

I don't have any actual proof. You're right. But I do believe that playing a ranked Nebraska team (a program that MU has targeted for decades) will get these youngsters excited. Most of them remember the game two years ago and how incredible the environment was. I believe they'll want to replicate that moment. There's no way they won't be focuse to play the Big Red.

Well, I hope they are. Colorado was a relatively weak team and they focused real hard on us last year while we were sleepwalking through the game, and they nearly upset us. Sometimes the whole "getting up for the game" thing doesn't work though. Nebraska had every reason to be "up" for Missouri last year, and you guys destroyed us. We'll have to see who's more "up" for the game this year.

some valid pts in all this hot air, some are comical, like Lee has a big arm? Huh? Havn't seen him throw a decent deep ball in all the snaps I have seen

Whatever little credibility you had is gone. You've obviously not watched Lee . . . except for maybe the VaTech game. Lee has the strongest arm of any Nebraska qb in recent memory. And he throws an outstanding deep ball. For your convenience, check out the pass to Curenski Gilleyen in the FAU game. (or pretty much any deep pass to number 11.)

Who posted that stat about most long passes by Big XII QBs so far this year? I remember Lee was in the top three or four, either right ahead of or right behind Gabbert. I read that "haven't seen him throw a decent deep ball" comment and just shook my head. It's like people are commenting on Nebraska and they haven't even watched more than a few minutes of any of our games. I firmly believe that most Tigers fans commenting here are like that - they watched a series or two, or a half, of our VT game and formed their opinions off of those few plays. Without context, those plays mean next to nothing.

Who posted that stat about most long passes by Big XII QBs so far this year? I remember Lee was in the top three or four, either right ahead of or right behind Gabbert. I read that "haven't seen him throw a decent deep ball" comment and just shook my head. It's like people are commenting on Nebraska and they haven't even watched more than a few minutes of any of our games. I firmly believe that most Tigers fans commenting here are like that - they watched a series or two, or a half, of our VT game and formed their opinions off of those few plays. Without context, those plays mean next to nothing.

Agreed. I've watched every one of our games (several times . . . embarrassingly enough) and I've watched 3 of Missouri's games. Even without the homer glasses it's obvious who has played better.

That said, it's no guarantee that we win in CoMo. We've got to do it on the field. I think we will . . . and I hope rcruiter and his ilk will return to take their lumps on the 9th. I know I will be here either way . . .

Here is the info you are talking about

BIG 12 PASSING AVG/GAME

Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Avg/G

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Gabbert, Blaine..... MU SO 4 131 87 0 66.4 1161 11 290.2

7. Lee, Zac............ NU JR 4 105 68 3 64.8 927 7 231.8

BIG 12 PASS EFFICIENCY

Team Cl G Eff.

------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Gabbert, Blaine..... MU SO 4 168.6

5. Lee, Zac............ NU JR 4 155.2

Gabbert - 131 atts / by 1161 yrds = 8.86 per attempt

- 87 comp / by 1161 yrds = 13.34 per completion

Lee - 105 atts / 927 yrds = 8.82 per attempt

- 68 comp / 927 yrds = 13.63 per completion

Two pretty decent looking statistical players. I do believe Gabbert has much high upside but I know that Lee is solid from what I have seen. Outside of the second half of the VT game, where he was awful, he has looked good. I am with Knapplc, either some of you are just throwing stuff and hoping it sticks (btw, both sides have done plenty of this in the past few days) or you are just full of it. Either way you look foolish and dont make it any easier for those of us who are opposing fans and actually DO pay attention

:boxosoap