The NEW MU v. NU Thread

AR, Your right. They are pretty good on O, but not near as explosive as the past 2 years.

There is some of that from Perry and Alexander, not much else as of yet. Some of the younger guys show a flash but not the consistant spark. There isnt that guy that can take it to the house on any play. Just a mix of characters. Alexander will get a jump ball and can break the tackles. He is a pretty good runner after the catch but not like Maclin was. Perry is a speedster but has to have a lane or a go route. He cant make guys miss in traffic and then go. Probably the biggest threat we have or will have this year is Jarrel Jackson. A young WR just finding his legs. He is the closest thing to a breakout WR Mu has playing right now. But you can tell he is still finding his game.

On that same note, Washington doesnt seem as explosive running this year. Something different about the way he is running and I cant quite put my finger on it. He just looks different

I see what you mean about Washington. The thing I noticed is that he seems to frequently go down with the first hit. It's almost like a guy coming back from injury that's shying away from contact. And he doesn't seem to run with a passion. Not trying to disparage the guy - those were just the impressions I took from the game. Was he hurt in spring or something? He just doesn't look like the same guy as last year.

After watching the game I feel better--but not as cocksure as some of you about beating Misery on the road on Oct 8.

I feel great because they could not run the ball against a defense that is not nearly as good as the Blackshirts.

On the other hand Gabbert is an extremely good QB who will only get better. Had over 400 yards

That wideout no. 81--is an extremely good reciever.

So their passing game is far superior to ours imo. Our running game is far superior to theirs---but our QB cannot run like that Nevada QB.

Our defense is superior (IF they play up to potential) to either team on the field tonight.

They have won two games on the road (one in a neutral site) and we have won at home and lost only game on the road. They will be tougher in Columbia than in REno.

They do not have the defense that VT has

They have a better offense than VT and will score more than 16 points

We can beat them if we can score 30 and contain Gabbert and no. 81.

Now we do have to win tomorrow--then GAME ON. GBR

On the other hand Gabbert is an extremely good QB who will only get better. Had over 400 yards

So their passing game is far superior to ours imo. Our running game is far superior to theirs---but our QB cannot run like that Nevada QB.

How did you come up with that from this game? Nevada was blowing coverage all night. WRs were running free all night, and Gabbert was chased down two times by LBs slower than anything he's going to see in the Big 12 two times that I saw.

You have to be basing these statements on a different game than I just watched.

Your last comment about taking care of business tomorrow - absolutely. We gotta beat the Cajuns or all of this talk about October 8 that I'm seeing is completely moot.

MU has about 1,200 yards passing through four games, or about 300 per game.

Nebraska has about 260 yards passing per game through three games.

I'd say our passing offenses are pretty comparable.

MU is averaging about 150 yards rushing per game.

Roy Helu is averaging nearly 130 yards per game by himself.

How did you come up with that from this game? Nevada was blowing coverage all night. WRs were running free all night, and Gabbert was chased down two times by LBs slower than anything he's going to see in the Big 12 two times that I saw.

You have to be basing these statements on a different game than I just watched.

Your last comment about taking care of business tomorrow - absolutely. We gotta beat the Cajuns or all of this talk about October 8 that I'm seeing is completely moot.

I'm guessing we watc hed the same game. And I watched the Illinois game. Didn't see the Bowling green or Furman games as they weren't on TV. I watched all of our games. There is not a coach in the universe that would not take Misery's QB and wideouts over ours. That's simply being honest. We should have had Gabbert. I wish we would have. He's the read deal and if we lose at Columbia it will be because of that young man that stiffed us.

I think we are more balanced--but again I think one thing that helped Nevada was the option by the QB and I know that nobody wants to hear again that I have my doubts about Lee getting it done. Simply my feeling that they will key on Helu and make it tougher for us to run the ball. But I think we have a good shot at winning the game. It will be very close imo.

One question I have for Nebraska fans is this: MU had its way with Nebraska in Lincoln last season with a 6 touchdown differential for a Tiger victory. MU lost some talent, but so did Nebraska. The excitement around Nebraska football is welcomed, as it was a shame what Callahan did to your great program in just three short years.

How do you think Nebraska has closed a 6 touchdown deficit in just one year, and do you think playing in Columbia gives the Tigers a boost heading into this early showdown on October 8th?

I'll give this a shot.

First, I'd agree that that Missouri has had a talent advantage at some key positions, mostly the skill positions. Hard to argue that point with the production those players had the last few years.

Having said that, though, you then have to acknowledge that - at least this early in the season - it is reasonalble to assume that there will be a drop off in production. That's not to say that the players filling their shoes are not as talented - just that they haven't proven it yet. And Gabbert - well, I think he's going to make Tiger fans forget Daniel once it's all over with. However, the fact remains that until proven otherwise, it is reasonable to assume a lack of production compared to what Missouri has had recently.

Yes, the Huskers also lost some players that were very productive. The difference between the Huskers' loss and the Tigers's loss is that the Huskers are, for the most part, replacing that loss of production with increased talent - unproven talent, admittedly, but more athletic, explosive players. On the defensive side, that's most evident in the linebackers - far more athletic, but far less proven (and thus far less productive). With the exception of Gabbert, I'm not sure that Missouri can say the same thing. You have some athletic guys at the skill positions on offense, but I haven't seen that they are better athletes.

There are pluses and minuses to this of course - can the improved athletic talent for NU mature quickly enough? Or will there be crucial breakdowns? Regardless, that's one factor.

On the defensive side, I think that is the particularly the view of most Husker fans. Our defensive line was very good last year, and all indications is that there has been no real drop off there. The linebackers are more athletic and faster - and that plays to the kind of defense Pelini likes to deploy, and that is most effective against spread teams. Couple that with the fact that we are now beginning our second year in a new system that first required the players "unlearning" the old system as much as learning the new one, and there is pretty good reasons for the optimistic outlook.

I just got through watching the MU/Nevada game, and one thing that jumped out at me is that Missouri seems to have trouble with the middle of its defense. Nevada managed to power the ball up the middle quite a bit. That should be a Husker strength (although given our woes in the red zone against VT, that may be a case of being too optimistic).

Obviously, fans tend to accentuate their team's strengths and opponents' weaknesses, so either side could be way off.

But my feeling is that the teams are a lot closer to being equal, with similar question marks for each. My hope is that it's a great game and no one is injured.

Oh, and that the Huskers win, of course...

Didnt see the game. What I miss from Mizzou?

Honestly? Some really ugly play, bailed out by some really bad calls by the refs, some really boneheaded defensive plays by Nevada, and Gabbert looking slow of foot yet still benefiting from horrible pass coverage.

Not to mention Nevada fumbling on the one yard line and Mizzou taking it and driving 99 yards for the score...14 point swing.

I'm guessing we watc hed the same game. And I watched the Illinois game. Didn't see the Bowling green or Furman games as they weren't on TV. I watched all of our games. There is not a coach in the universe that would not take Misery's QB and wideouts over ours. That's simply being honest. We should have had Gabbert. I wish we would have. He's the read deal and if we lose at Columbia it will be because of that young man that stiffed us.

I think we are more balanced--but again I think one thing that helped Nevada was the option by the QB and I know that nobody wants to hear again that I have my doubts about Lee getting it done. Simply my feeling that they will key on Helu and make it tougher for us to run the ball. But I think we have a good shot at winning the game. It will be very close imo.

They can key on Helu all they want. It's not going to help them if they can't stop a Nevada team that could barely rush the ball against Colorado St. If you're putting this game in the hands of Helu and our O Line, I love our chances.

The Missouri D Line was getting pushed backwards all game long by an average Nevada O Line. Surely you saw this? Frankly, Lee wouldn't have to throw the ball at all and we'd still be in the game, the way Missouri looked tonight. But the Missouri secondary isn't that great, that's the problem. Furman passed for 300 yards on them. Furman! People were blowing a gasket that we gave up 358 yards to FAU - FAU is a Division 1A school!