The NEW MU v. NU Thread

I have this terrible feeling that the MU/NU game will really be two average teams fighting things out, with the winner having the inside track at a 8 or 9 win season.

I just cant get over the BC hangover and always have this bad feeling about games, like the VT game, I was at the bar with 5 friends and we all just sat there saying how we were waiting for the BC stench to choke up the skers. I want to totally beleive that the skers will beat Mizzo, I personally think that Mizzo is average at best, but its just hard to think they will win that game on the road.

There is really no good reason to expect Nebraska to win. They choked away their only real game (four point underdogs) thus far to an overrated VT team, and Lee looked dreadful (61.4 rating). Missouri, on the other hand, dominated their big stage game (seven point underdogs) against Illinois and Gabbert had a brilliant day (187 rating). Because of our ridiculous cupcake scheduling, Bo is inexperienced as a head coach on the road (only FIVE OF FIFTEEN regular season games have been on the road), losing to every good team thus far (wins at awful KSU and ISU) and showing some questionable coaching last Saturday.

I suppose the best Husker fans can do is point to Missouri's game against Bowling Green. Somehow that doesn't do much for me. Of course, come that Thursday, I'll be smashed on Kool-Aid and thinking we're golden. But that didn't help in '07 or '05.

I think this will be a real big game for us, and I have a few reasons why I think we will win.

1) After watching just bits and pieces of MU's games so far, I didn't see a lot of explosiveness on either side of the ball. I saw a lot of good consistent offense/defense, but I think that a team that is focused and keyed in on execution could have a big day against them, especially on the lines of scrimmage. I don't see a lot of power and speed on their lines. Consistency, yes, but nothing to write home about.

2) While VaTech may have one of the worst statistical run defenses, I think they have better athletes all around defensively (especially on the d-line). Which means I think we will have an easier time running the football and exposing coverage gaps. I think MU will be able to stuff some of the run game, but I still see Helu getting at least 100 yards and a score or two.

3) There is no question in my mind that Gabbert will be a better QB than Daniel, and will probably be more respectful of his opponents. <_< But right now, he is still a fairly young football player who hasn't been tested by a really good d-line with a potential number one over all draft pick. Doesn't matter who we have played, Suh has exploited every single one of their o-lines and opened up things for the rest of the d-line. I think that Suh, Crick, Allen, and Turner are going to be in the back field all day. Flustering a spread quarterback early is a great way to beat him.

So, that's how I see things going for us. I think Missouri's crowd will offer some resistance, being a Thursday night game, but I still think Lane Stadium was a slightly bigger challenge. But as Bo said, it doesn't matter where you play but how you execute, because the fans aren't playing the game.

Prediction: 34-24 NU

There is really no good reason to expect Nebraska to win. They choked away their only real game (four point underdogs) thus far to an overrated VT team, and Lee looked dreadful (61.4 rating). Missouri, on the other hand, dominated their big stage game (seven point underdogs) against Illinois and Gabbert had a brilliant day (187 rating). Because of our ridiculous cupcake scheduling, Bo is inexperienced as a head coach on the road (only FIVE OF FIFTEEN regular season games have been on the road), losing to every good team thus far (wins at awful KSU and ISU) and showing some questionable coaching last Saturday.

I suppose the best Husker fans can do is point to Missouri's game against Bowling Green. Somehow that doesn't do much for me. Of course, come that Thursday, I'll be smashed on Kool-Aid and thinking we're golden. But that didn't help in '07 or '05.

Are you a Tiger fan in disguise? Show yourself!

Honestly, I'm not saying this isn't going to be a great game, but you are putting Mizzou up on a pedestal when they are probably equally as talented as we are.

And where did this knock on Bo come from? Do you not count going all the way down to Florida and beating Clemson as a good road win? It may have been a bowl game, but Clemson fans outnumbered Husker fans. Any game not in your own stadium with all of your fans is a road game in my eyes.

Really there are a lot of unaswered questions on both teams. I dont believe that any one really knows what they truly have. My best guess is it will be two good teams, not great, playing eachother. Its fairly early in the season and both have an extra week to prepare.

MU

1) Is Mu offense really that great. I dont believe anyone really knows. They have potential. And have in spurts shown the ability to do the same things they have the past years, but there is not alot of consistancy

2) The D has shown they can do a pretty good job limiting the run. But have the faced a good running team yet? Too early to tell, but it doesnt appear so

3) No consistance in tackling. Look really good for 5/6ths of a game put have bad parts here and there

4) THe running game. Very much a question mark in my mind

NU

1) Zac Lee, which QB are you? really good when facing bad teams, or really bad when facing good teams. Somewhere in the middle is my guess

2) Running game. Is it real? 2 out of 3 games were pretty good, but one was sunbelt and the other one of the worst run D's in the country. But is Vt one of the worst because the faced 2 of the best??

3) Is the D really that good? Shut down VT, but VT sucks on O. However the D still shut them down. But the gave up twice as many yards to two sunbelt teams. But the backups played more...I dont know what to think

4) Mental mistakes are still going on. Both in coverages and gaps as well as penalties. How will that be corrected and will it be done in time not to cost the team during conference play

And thats just 4 of the many questions I have about both teams. Hopefully we will se a good game that the Tigers win ;) But i truely would not be surprised at this point with any outcome. Reminds me alot of the 07 game. Both fan bases felt it was theirs to lose and the whole time I had no clue. Was pretty nervous before that game and will probably be the same before this one as well.

Fro, one question. In the little I've seen of the Tigers (I plan on catching tonight's game) I've been really impressed with the way Gabbert has stepped in. But it seems as if the offense is missing some kind of spark - they don't seem quite as explosive as last year. A very good offense, but not quite what was there at this time last year (and I'm not going off scores so much as it just seemed that Missouri was scoring so much and so effortlessly last year). I know it's early, and like NU Missouri is having to replace some key players, but is that the impression of the fan base as well? And if so, any thoughts on why or what's missing?

AR, Your right. They are pretty good on O, but not near as explosive as the past 2 years.

There is some of that from Perry and Alexander, not much else as of yet. Some of the younger guys show a flash but not the consistant spark. There isnt that guy that can take it to the house on any play. Just a mix of characters. Alexander will get a jump ball and can break the tackles. He is a pretty good runner after the catch but not like Maclin was. Perry is a speedster but has to have a lane or a go route. He cant make guys miss in traffic and then go. Probably the biggest threat we have or will have this year is Jarrel Jackson. A young WR just finding his legs. He is the closest thing to a breakout WR Mu has playing right now. But you can tell he is still finding his game.

On that same note, Washington doesnt seem as explosive running this year. Something different about the way he is running and I cant quite put my finger on it. He just looks different

watched the vt/nu game yesterday finally, so I have some impressions to share. VT rolled thru nu fairly easily early on, d adjusted and did much better. Red zone O was not good, if lee simply pitches to helu on first and g on 3, helu walks in, saw a lot of bd decisions by Lee. Optimist says he has so much room to improve, which is true or is he just not that good? I have no idea till he plays better teams. Ttaylor was not very good at all but letting him beat you on that last drive, wow a real hrtbrker. how could db let someone get behind him in last 2 minutes?

as for MU, have been inconsistant, not surprising with young qb, amazing that against the best team tigers faced he came out and played very well. running game is spotty, attribute that to inexperienced OC.

as for the game coming? two teams still trying to find an identity. Tigers have more talented players and deeper without question, qb is much better, top receivers are seniors not even close, oline is very athletic, rb's are solid. D is doing well but still has questions. special team play has been vry good.

as for predicting the game, who knows, lots of emotion involved, this is a game where a lot of questions will be answered and could go either way, depends on which team steps up. Think you will find out a lot more about Bo, as he hasn't beaten anyone of consequence yet. And BTW beating a lousy Clemson squad who was considered the most dissapointing team of the yr wasn't much. Mu beating a decent nw team, wsn't much either, just made you feel better about a dissapointing season.

fro you are spot on about dw, he just doesn't run the same way. not as explosive or as hard to take down. KL is a pistol and when he gets his running legs under him is as dangerous a back as there is in conference.

Will be interesting to see if MU D can shut down running attack of NV, they have looked good so far but this will be the best running game before they play huskers. Helu looked very good against vt.

fro you are spot on about dw, he just doesn't run the same way. not as explosive or as hard to take down. KL is a pistol and when he gets his running legs under him is as dangerous a back as there is in conference.

Will be interesting to see if MU D can shut down running attack of NV, they have looked good so far but this will be the best running game before they play huskers. Helu looked very good against vt.

There is such a clear difference between Lawerence and Washington right now. I found myself thinking, WOW, if DW doesnt get it together I could see Kendial taking his spot.

Never thought that would happen

I believe NU and MU are pretty evenly matched from what Ive seen overall so far this season.

QB: Slight edge to MU, Gabbert is a baller, but has shown some inconsistency this year so far.

RB: push......Helu is a monster, but we have some depth at running back which helps

WR: MU........perry and alexander

OL: Slight edge to NU as of now, I think MU has a better OL, but the past three games they have not proved that

DL: NU, Suh is a man among boys

LB: MU, all I can say is Spoooooon

CB: no idea really, Ive been pretty impressed with ours so far..........which isnt hard after last year, right? haha

HC: i like pinkel, but I can not get the "pinkel factor" thought out of my head so slight edge to NU

Since it is at home........I give the win to the tigers. 34-25.

It is gonna be a pretty formidable environment, maybe not as tough as VT, but pretty damn good. Can I get someones opinion from the game in 07' on how loud and crazy the game was?

Fro, one question. In the little I've seen of the Tigers (I plan on catching tonight's game) I've been really impressed with the way Gabbert has stepped in. But it seems as if the offense is missing some kind of spark - they don't seem quite as explosive as last year. A very good offense, but not quite what was there at this time last year (and I'm not going off scores so much as it just seemed that Missouri was scoring so much and so effortlessly last year). I know it's early, and like NU Missouri is having to replace some key players, but is that the impression of the fan base as well? And if so, any thoughts on why or what's missing?

One big difference is the lack of Jeremy Maclin. Last two years, Mizzou was a threat to score from the opening kickoff. Then he could run one in, or catch an 8 yard pass and go 50 yards. This is a different team this year. The receivers - Danario Alexander, Jared Perry and Wes Kemp - are at least as talented a group as last year. We don't, however, have a Chase Coffman - one of the most reliable pass catchers ever.

And like Fro mentioned - D. Washington hasn't looked great yet and we may see even more of Kendial Lawrence - a real burner.

One more factor - the Chase Daniel swagger factor. Chase came in knowing he was going to win. Gabbert's not there yet. Yet.

I believe NU and MU are pretty evenly matched from what Ive seen overall so far this season.

QB: Slight edge to MU, Gabbert is a baller, but has shown some inconsistency this year so far.

RB: push......Helu is a monster, but we have some depth at running back which helps

OL: Slight edge to NU as of now, I think MU has a better OL, but the past three games they have not proved that

CB: no idea really, Ive been pretty impressed with ours so far..........which isnt hard after last year, right? haha

HC: i like pinkel, but I can not get the "pinkel factor" thought out of my head so slight edge to NU

It is gonna be a pretty formidable environment, maybe not as tough as VT, but pretty damn good. Can I get someones opinion from the game in 07' on how loud and crazy the game was?

RB: Push?! Really? I agree with the rest of what you said. Sorry . . . I think Helu is head and shoulders above MU's backs. And yes, I have watched your games.

But yeah, the rest of this I agree with.

Really there are a lot of unaswered questions on both teams. I dont believe that any one really knows what they truly have. My best guess is it will be two good teams, not great, playing eachother. Its fairly early in the season and both have an extra week to prepare.

MU

1) Is Mu offense really that great. I dont believe anyone really knows. They have potential. And have in spurts shown the ability to do the same things they have the past years, but there is not alot of consistancy

2) The D has shown they can do a pretty good job limiting the run. But have the faced a good running team yet? Too early to tell, but it doesnt appear so

3) No consistance in tackling. Look really good for 5/6ths of a game put have bad parts here and there

4) THe running game. Very much a question mark in my mind

NU

1) Zac Lee, which QB are you? really good when facing bad teams, or really bad when facing good teams. Somewhere in the middle is my guess

2) Running game. Is it real? 2 out of 3 games were pretty good, but one was sunbelt and the other one of the worst run D's in the country. But is Vt one of the worst because the faced 2 of the best??

3) Is the D really that good? Shut down VT, but VT sucks on O. However the D still shut them down. But the gave up twice as many yards to two sunbelt teams. But the backups played more...I dont know what to think

4) Mental mistakes are still going on. Both in coverages and gaps as well as penalties. How will that be corrected and will it be done in time not to cost the team during conference play

And thats just 4 of the many questions I have about both teams. Hopefully we will se a good game that the Tigers win ;) But i truely would not be surprised at this point with any outcome. Reminds me alot of the 07 game. Both fan bases felt it was theirs to lose and the whole time I had no clue. Was pretty nervous before that game and will probably be the same before this one as well.

Great post Fro Daddy. I think you nailed it here. On all counts . . . other than hoping the Tigers win.

RB: Push?! Really? I agree with the rest of what you said. Sorry . . . I think Helu is head and shoulders above MU's backs. And yes, I have watched your games.

But yeah, the rest of this I agree with.

maybe I was a little homerish, but head and shoulders above our running backs??? Washington and Lawerence are a pretty damn good 1-2 punch. Ill give you that though, from what weve seen from both teams that I'll give the edge to NU....

maybe I was a little homerish, but head and shoulders above our running backs??? Washington and Lawerence are a pretty damn good 1-2 punch. Ill give you that though, from what weve seen from both teams that I'll give the edge to NU....

Perhaps "head and shoulders" is a little homerish as well. That said, I think by the end of the year there will be a near consensus that Helu is the best back in the Big 12. We'll see in time I suppose.