The NEW MU v. NU Thread

Really there are a lot of unaswered questions on both teams. I dont believe that any one really knows what they truly have. My best guess is it will be two good teams, not great, playing eachother. Its fairly early in the season and both have an extra week to prepare.

MU

1) Is Mu offense really that great. I dont believe anyone really knows. They have potential. And have in spurts shown the ability to do the same things they have the past years, but there is not alot of consistancy

2) The D has shown they can do a pretty good job limiting the run. But have the faced a good running team yet? Too early to tell, but it doesnt appear so

3) No consistance in tackling. Look really good for 5/6ths of a game put have bad parts here and there

4) THe running game. Very much a question mark in my mind

NU

1) Zac Lee, which QB are you? really good when facing bad teams, or really bad when facing good teams. Somewhere in the middle is my guess

2) Running game. Is it real? 2 out of 3 games were pretty good, but one was sunbelt and the other one of the worst run D's in the country. But is Vt one of the worst because the faced 2 of the best??

3) Is the D really that good? Shut down VT, but VT sucks on O. However the D still shut them down. But the gave up twice as many yards to two sunbelt teams. But the backups played more...I dont know what to think

4) Mental mistakes are still going on. Both in coverages and gaps as well as penalties. How will that be corrected and will it be done in time not to cost the team during conference play

And thats just 4 of the many questions I have about both teams. Hopefully we will se a good game that the Tigers win ;) But i truely would not be surprised at this point with any outcome. Reminds me alot of the 07 game. Both fan bases felt it was theirs to lose and the whole time I had no clue. Was pretty nervous before that game and will probably be the same before this one as well.

Fro, one question. In the little I've seen of the Tigers (I plan on catching tonight's game) I've been really impressed with the way Gabbert has stepped in. But it seems as if the offense is missing some kind of spark - they don't seem quite as explosive as last year. A very good offense, but not quite what was there at this time last year (and I'm not going off scores so much as it just seemed that Missouri was scoring so much and so effortlessly last year). I know it's early, and like NU Missouri is having to replace some key players, but is that the impression of the fan base as well? And if so, any thoughts on why or what's missing?

I agree with you to a point. I think losing Maclin and Coffman did take away some of the explosiveness. This years team seems to be more methodical. Although I think we have a better deep threat now due to Gabberts ability to get the ball down field.

maybe I was a little homerish, but head and shoulders above our running backs??? Washington and Lawerence are a pretty damn good 1-2 punch. Ill give you that though, from what weve seen from both teams that I'll give the edge to NU....

Perhaps "head and shoulders" is a little homerish as well. That said, I think by the end of the year there will be a near consensus that Helu is the best back in the Big 12. We'll see in time I suppose.

Are you guys concerned with Helu's ability to stay healthy this year?

maybe I was a little homerish, but head and shoulders above our running backs??? Washington and Lawerence are a pretty damn good 1-2 punch. Ill give you that though, from what weve seen from both teams that I'll give the edge to NU....

Perhaps "head and shoulders" is a little homerish as well. That said, I think by the end of the year there will be a near consensus that Helu is the best back in the Big 12. We'll see in time I suppose.

of course, i would hope everyone would stay healthy, but we do have guys behind him that can run, but unproven.

They touched on this during the VT or AK St game, can't remember which one.....

I'm under the impression that the staff wants to keep Helu around 20 carries/game to withstand the schedule, but they worked him last Saturday with 29 carries, half a dozen catches or so. I kept wondering when Burk was going to get some more time to spell Helu. But if you are the coach, you want the best players on the field during this type of game. Conference's leading rusher that was running hard or a true freshman in his first road game? Pretty easy choice.

I really think Gabbert is the wild card this year.

Not only can he gun it down deep, he can also run.

He doesn't look like it, but he runs faster than Chase Daniel.

As soon as he gets more experience, he will be something special.

Interestingly enough, the exact same things can be said of Zac Lee compared to Ganz. However, not only is Lee a better runner than Ganz, but he looks like it too. (Ganz always looked awkward running the ball. Effective, but awkward.)

Interestingly enough, the exact same things can be said of Zac Lee compared to Ganz. However, not only is Lee a better runner than Ganz, but he looks like it too. (Ganz always looked awkward running the ball. Effective, but awkward.)

The same Zac Lee that half of this message board wanted to bench for Cody Green after the Virginia Tech game?

There is really no good reason to expect Nebraska to win. They choked away their only real game (four point underdogs) thus far to an overrated VT team, and Lee looked dreadful (61.4 rating). Missouri, on the other hand, dominated their big stage game (seven point underdogs) against Illinois and Gabbert had a brilliant day (187 rating). Because of our ridiculous cupcake scheduling, Bo is inexperienced as a head coach on the road (only FIVE OF FIFTEEN regular season games have been on the road), losing to every good team thus far (wins at awful KSU and ISU) and showing some questionable coaching last Saturday.

I suppose the best Husker fans can do is point to Missouri's game against Bowling Green. Somehow that doesn't do much for me. Of course, come that Thursday, I'll be smashed on Kool-Aid and thinking we're golden. But that didn't help in '07 or '05.

Are you a Tiger fan in disguise? Show yourself!

Honestly, I'm not saying this isn't going to be a great game, but you are putting Mizzou up on a pedestal when they are probably equally as talented as we are.

And where did this knock on Bo come from? Do you not count going all the way down to Florida and beating Clemson as a good road win? It may have been a bowl game, but Clemson fans outnumbered Husker fans. Any game not in your own stadium with all of your fans is a road game in my eyes.

Alright, how's this: Huskers are gonna stomp their asses! Mizzou sucks, Big Red by 50! Yay!

Honestly, I love the way Bo prepares his players emotionally, but him and his staff have had some questionable in-game coaching. And the fact remains, we've only played three good teams on the road under Bo and lost all three. Also, QB play is extremely important to any team's success. Each QB is very inexperienced, having had one big spotlight game so far this season. Gabbert had a huge game and Lee failed miserably. Who knows, maybe Lee will improve greatly and have a huge day and we'll win by 14. Anything could happen. But looking at it objectively, there's no doubt the edge goes to MU.

Oh, and I was at the Gator Bowl. If Clemson fans outnumbered us, it wasn't more than 55-45. So trying to pretend that was somehow similar to the atmosphere at a Clemson home game isn't going to get you anywhere.

The same Zac Lee that half of this message board wanted to bench for Cody Green after the Virginia Tech game?

I still don't see the point in starting Green, let Lee grow as a player, he has not shown me anything that leads me to believe he should be benched. Bad games happen all the time, that is what makes players get better...

Yep. The backup QB is always the most popular player with the fans. I've never understood that thinking, but I guess the grass is always greener...

I believe NU and MU are pretty evenly matched from what Ive seen overall so far this season.

QB: Slight edge to MU, Gabbert is a baller, but has shown some inconsistency this year so far.

RB: push......Helu is a monster, but we have some depth at running back which helps

WR: MU........perry and alexander

OL: Slight edge to NU as of now, I think MU has a better OL, but the past three games they have not proved that

DL: NU, Suh is a man among boys

LB: MU, all I can say is Spoooooon

CB: no idea really, Ive been pretty impressed with ours so far..........which isnt hard after last year, right? haha

HC: i like pinkel, but I can not get the "pinkel factor" thought out of my head so slight edge to NU

Since it is at home........I give the win to the tigers. 34-25.

It is gonna be a pretty formidable environment, maybe not as tough as VT, but pretty damn good. Can I get someones opinion from the game in 07' on how loud and crazy the game was?

In 07 the place was wild. Walking into the stadium at night from the south side was amazing. The way Faurot Field sits down in a bowl is intimidating as hell. Being in bowl makes the place really loud. It's a cool sight.

post-7020-1253900156.jpg

I believe NU and MU are pretty evenly matched from what Ive seen overall so far this season.

QB: Slight edge to MU, Gabbert is a baller, but has shown some inconsistency this year so far.

RB: push......Helu is a monster, but we have some depth at running back which helps

WR: MU........perry and alexander

OL: Slight edge to NU as of now, I think MU has a better OL, but the past three games they have not proved that

DL: NU, Suh is a man among boys

LB: MU, all I can say is Spoooooon

CB: no idea really, Ive been pretty impressed with ours so far..........which isnt hard after last year, right? haha

HC: i like pinkel, but I can not get the "pinkel factor" thought out of my head so slight edge to NU

Since it is at home........I give the win to the tigers. 34-25.

It is gonna be a pretty formidable environment, maybe not as tough as VT, but pretty damn good. Can I get someones opinion from the game in 07' on how loud and crazy the game was?

In 07 the place was wild. Walking into the stadium at night from the south side was amazing. The way Faurot Field sits down in a bowl is intimidating as hell. Being in bowl makes the place really loud. It's a cool sight.

Yeah, I was there on the 50 yd line about 8 rows up......it was the best game I have ever attended......

I will say that Nebraska has been "punched" in the mouth by a good team this year and has responded; Missou has not. Nebraska went on the road in a hostile environment and basically dominated the game for 57 minutes; Missou has played at home and their "hostile" environment is Reno.

I will say Nebraska will be more battle tested than Missou come game time.

Which game was the punch in the mouth and what was the response. Last I checked the only punch in the mouth was played on Saturday and the response will come against the worst team they will face all year. We haven't seen a response yet just heard words from players and coaches. We wont know until that Oct 8th road game where we or the yellow cats are as a program.

I will say that Nebraska has been "punched" in the mouth by a good team this year and has responded; Missou has not. Nebraska went on the road in a hostile environment and basically dominated the game for 57 minutes; Missou has played at home and their "hostile" environment is Reno.

I will say Nebraska will be more battle tested than Missou come game time.

Which game was the punch in the mouth and what was the response. Last I checked the only punch in the mouth was played on Saturday and the response will come against the worst team they will face all year. We haven't seen a response yet just heard words from players and coaches. We wont know until that Oct 8th road game where we or the yellow cats are as a program.

1st quarter of VA Tech game: punch in the mouth

2nd, 3rd, and all by 1.5 minutes of the 4th quarter: response