NU vs Mizzo

1. Nebraska D-line Vs. Mizzo O-line

Trouble with Suh, but he's doubled.

2. Nebraska O-line Vs. Mizzo D-line

NU has trouble with Mizzou defensive ends (big time speed)

3. Nebraska DB's Vs. Mizzo WR's

NU has a tough time - too much speed and good throws.

4. Nebrasaks WR's Vs Mizzo DB's

Push. Both need more talent.

Let me ask you, because you are not the first person to say it, but where did the idea that NU has slow DB's come from?

Now personally NU's Dline will push around Mizzos Oline.

Mizzos Dline might have good speed on the ends but like you said, if you can just double Suh, then you can just chip and end or screen them. Right?

Well, the reason is pretty obvious. Look at what happened last year. I believe much of your secondary is back from last year. Not all the starters, but many who logged considerable time. We still have an excellent receiving core. I firmly believe we'll split your secondary and backers out wide. Take sharp intermediate routes and get tons of yardage in the middle of the field. Running those types of routes will allow Gabbert to release the ball quickly minimizing the rush...

Last year, Suh and Turner were starters. You also had a NFL end in Potter... Still, they weren't able to get to Chase. Why? Because of quick throws. I expect the same.

Also, for all the trouble people are giving Washington, he had an incredible game last year. He averaged around 9 yards a carry and 160 yards total. I don't expect that, but with three returning starters on our offensive line, I could see him getting at least half of his total. 80 yards will be plenty to compliment the aerial attack.

Oh dear Lord, please double Suh all night long. He will still push those guys backwards and will leave single blocking from your inexperienced and not so talented offensive line on the rest of our DLine.

If you think simply doubling Suh is going to win this game in the trenches, you have another thing coming.

Exactly. If MU's O-line doubles Suh...not too worry. Gabbert will get to meet Crick or Turner...face to face.

Crick (who does look very good, btw) and Turner have combined for 2 sacks - against the Sun Belt. Mizzou's O-line averages 306 lbs, and no one under 300. They won't be pushed around like the Owls or the Rajun Cajuns.

You really, really can't judge it soley by sacks. Our DL is solid, it isn't just Suh. I agree with above though, whats missing from this equation is the LB position.

Let me ask you, because you are not the first person to say it, but where did the idea that NU has slow DB's come from?

Mizzos Dline might have good speed on the ends but like you said, if you can just double Suh, then you can just chip and end or screen them. Right?

Well, the reason is pretty obvious. Look at what happened last year. I believe much of your secondary is back from last year. Not all the starters, but many who logged considerable time. We still have an excellent receiving core. I firmly believe we'll split your secondary and backers out wide. Take sharp intermediate routes and get tons of yardage in the middle of the field. Running those types of routes will allow Gabbert to release the ball quickly minimizing the rush...

Last year, Suh and Turner were starters. You also had a NFL end in Potter... Still, they weren't able to get to Chase. Why? Because of quick throws. I expect the same.

Also, for all the trouble people are giving Washington, he had an incredible game last year. He averaged around 9 yards a carry and 160 yards total. I don't expect that, but with three returning starters on our offensive line, I could see him getting at least half of his total. 80 yards will be plenty to compliment the aerial attack.

well, i wouldn't base much solely of last years MU NU game though. Up until midseason we had lots and lots of WR streaking down the field with no one even on them. People had no clue what was going on. It got alot better as the season wore on, and has been good this year except for THAT ONE PLAY against VT.

I'm not saying that we win this battle though, I don't think our secondary has improved THAT much, but I don't think speed is really the excuse either.

So what your saying is they have speed. Do they have anything else or are they just really fast? There is more to football than fast feet. I would like to think our O-line is more than capable of handling your DE's since we were able to keep a all-american candidate in Jason Worilds mostly in check. Also, if you have a stats page something akin to Huskers.com please post it. I'm curious.

Okay, thats fair enough but then why was it that last year you were blowing your first 3 or 4 teams out and this year you almost lost to two of them? I mean, something is off, right?

If you're basing your assumptions off of what Nebraska did last year, you're in for a really big shock. There were three factors that greatly influenced last year's game that won't influence 2009.

1) We installed a new defense that was VERY different from the defense we ran the previous four years. It required much better cardiovascular conditioning than the previous defense, and the players simply weren't in shape for the defense. They've had the better part of two years to mold their bodies to what Bo wants, and they're in far better shape. Look up the saga of Phillip Dillard if you're not aware of this situation.

2) Bo put in some freaky scheme against Missouri last year. So on top of learning a completely new defense, they guys had to learn a new NEW defense. It, obviously, failed.

3) Your team was far better then than it is now. Maclin, Coffman and Daniel are in a completely different league than Alexander, Jones and Gabbert. Across the board, NOW, you've downgraded at these positions. And for some reason, Washington isn't running at all like he did in 2008.

Further, last year Suh was a starter, but Turner was rehabbing from a broken leg, so you didn't face him at all. He's not exactly lighting it up right now, but he's doing fine. Gabbert will have to manage the game well and execute those quick throws, because if he flinches at all, we're gonna get him. We've got 2.5 sacks per game, and that's after facing Tyrod Taylor (four sacks) and Smith from FAU. Smith isn't impressive, but their game plan was quick passes, and he executed it quite well. To the tune of three points.

Oh dear Lord, please double Suh all night long. He will still push those guys backwards and will leave single blocking from your inexperienced and not so talented offensive line on the rest of our DLine.

If you think simply doubling Suh is going to win this game in the trenches, you have another thing coming.

Exactly. If MU's O-line doubles Suh...not too worry. Gabbert will get to meet Crick or Turner...face to face.

Crick (who does look very good, btw) and Turner have combined for 2 sacks - against the Sun Belt. Mizzou's O-line averages 306 lbs, and no one under 300. They won't be pushed around like the Owls or the Rajun Cajuns.

You really need read this post I put up yesterday. Kind of shows that the sack production by the NU D-Line year to date is more than fine....

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=479424