NU vs Mizzo

Okay, so lets hear what your opinion is on the units that will be facing off, who has the advantage and why?

1. Nebraska D-line Vs. Mizzo O-line

2. Nebraska O-line Vs. Mizzo D-line

3. Nebraska DB's Vs. Mizzo WR's

4. Nebrasaks WR's Vs Mizzo DB's

Now you can add in the linebackers if you want but these are the matchups that I feel are the ones that are basically always against each other during the course of a game.

Trouble with Suh, but he's doubled.

NU has trouble with Mizzou defensive ends (big time speed)

NU has a tough time - too much speed and good throws.

Push. Both need more talent.

Let me ask you, because you are not the first person to say it, but where did the idea that NU has slow DB's come from?

Now personally NU's Dline will push around Mizzos Oline.

Mizzos Dline might have good speed on the ends but like you said, if you can just double Suh, then you can just chip and end or screen them. Right?

Oh dear Lord, please double Suh all night long. He will still push those guys backwards and will leave single blocking from your inexperienced and not so talented offensive line on the rest of our DLine.

If you think simply doubling Suh is going to win this game in the trenches, you have another thing coming.

Okay, so lets hear what your opinion is on the units that will be facing off, who has the advantage and why?

Now you can add in the linebackers if you want but these are the matchups that I feel are the ones that are basically always against each other during the course of a game.

1. Nebraska's DL will put some pressure on Gabbert. They'll contain him and pressure him, so I'd give the edge to NU's DL.

2. I don't think Mizzou's DL is as good as VT's, so I'm giving the edge to NU's OL.

3. Mizzou's WR's take it here. The size of their WR's alone will pose match up problems. We just have to hope the DL and LB's do their job so that the DB's don't have to cover for more than 4 seconds or so.

4. This one might be a push. I'm sure we'll have a WR have some kind of break out game, but our WR's have been inconsistent at best. When they drop catches, they make any secondary look good. Slight edge probably has to go to Mizzou's secondary here.

The biggest question mark to me is the play of our LB's. With spread offenses, LB's have got to be able to cover and get pressure when blitzing. Our LB's have been out of position a lot so far this season. If Nebraska loses this game, I have a feeling it will be because of poor LB play. Mizzou's D is not on par with VT's D. We'll put points on the Tigers. However, will our LB's play well enough to keep Mizzou from putting more points on us? For Nebraska to win, we must make Mizzou's offense one dimensional. I think we will accomplish this. However, once they are one dimensional our LB's are really going to come in with their A game especially on the short 5 yard passes.

Oh dear Lord, please double Suh all night long. He will still push those guys backwards and will leave single blocking from your inexperienced and not so talented offensive line on the rest of our DLine.

If you think simply doubling Suh is going to win this game in the trenches, you have another thing coming.

Exactly. If MU's O-line doubles Suh...not too worry. Gabbert will get to meet Crick or Turner...face to face.

Exactly. If MU's O-line doubles Suh...not too worry. Gabbert will get to meet Crick or Turner...face to face.

Crick (who does look very good, btw) and Turner have combined for 2 sacks - against the Sun Belt. Mizzou's O-line averages 306 lbs, and no one under 300. They won't be pushed around like the Owls or the Rajun Cajuns.

Nebraska D Line vs Mizzou O line: I don't see Mizzou's line being able to handle our line at all. Crick has done a really good job of making teams pay for double teaming Suh all year and I don't see him stopping against MU. Edge to NU

Nebraska O line vs Mizzou D line: Va Tech was ten times more talented than the d line we're going to see against Mizzou. I think J. Smith is pretty athletic if he's still at DE but he's no more talented than Worilds and aside from a few plays we kept him in check, especially against the run. Edge to NU

Nebraska DB's vs Mizzou WR's: To me this is the biggest question mark for NU. Since I can remember our ball skills have been pretty poor and although better this year, nowhere near it needs to be. My fear is that we will have people in position to make plays, Gabbert throws it deep anyway and Mizzou's WR's make the play. Edge to Mizzou.

Nebraska's WR's vs Mizzou's DB's: Statistically the last two years Mizzou has had a pretty poor pass defense and the last two years they do a pretty decent job of containing our pass offense. This year is different bc of our ability to run the ball. In 07' and 08' we more than likely average less than 3 ypc. Also the last two years we really didn't have a deep threat and that also changes this year with the addition of Gilleylan and the emergence of Mcneil. Edge NU.

Crick (who does look very good, btw) and Turner have combined for 2 sacks - against the Sun Belt. Mizzou's O-line averages 306 lbs, and no one under 300. They won't be pushed around like the Owls or the Rajun Cajuns.

They will be pushed around. Trust me on that. But... I would be willing to place my house on the fact that Mizzou will put Gabbert 7 yards back in the shotgun (like a damn punter) and use quick slants and quick outs to alleviate the pressure. Like they always try to do. Just wait til one of our "slow" defensive backs jumps the route and takes it to the house. :box

My take on their fan base (and ours):

They will be surprised by our DL pass rush. Everyone knows about Suh, but they underestimate the rest of the crew. I think Carl is sneaking something into the water, because he is molding some great DL's around Suh. I expect Turner and Allen to turn :) a few heads. When Missouri stacks against the run (and they should, especially at the beginning), Lee's arm will probably surprise them at least a little. I get the feeling that some Mizzou fan's consider him the second coming of Jeff Daily.

We will be surprised by the ability of Gabbert's passing the receiver's ability to make grabs. That long route at the end of the V Tech game is Gabbert's bread and butter. Not to mention that he can buy himself time to make intermediate throws - into our VERY inexperienced linebacking crops.

And lastly, they will be surprised at just how big a difference losing your offensive and defensive coordinators makes during conference play. :power

Edit:

1. Nebraska D-line Vs. Mizzo O-line = NU

2. Nebraska O-line Vs. Mizzo D-line = Even

3. Nebraska DB's Vs. Mizzo WR's = MU

4. Nebrasaks WR's Vs Mizzo DB's = Even

Mr MUTigerFan,

Can you answer a question for me? What do you mean when you say more speed and more talent? Do you really believe that all of a sudden MU has some freakish athletes on there team and NU has nothing close? This really confuses me. I would even debate that last year the talent gap (whatever that is) was closer than you think. It comes down to execution and confidence in what you are doing as a football team. MU came into last years game with confidence and a complete understanding of how to execute there offence. NU came into last year’s game with a new coaching staff and very low confidence.

Teams that have talent and depth

-Florida

-Texas

-USC

-Alabama

After these teams you could look at the top 40 and there first team would be close to the same talent level. What separates these top teams from the rest is talent depth. Now I will listen to the argument about guys like Macklin, Reggie Bush etc. these guys are special.