Pick your top 25

Lots of poll talk, lots of criticisms, but when you actually try to do a full ranking you see how tough it can be. It's easy to say so-and-so doesn't belong in the top 10 or top 25, but somebody has to fill those spots.

So, pick your top 25, or top 10 or top 20 if you don't feel like going that deep. Put comments on them if you like, or just make a list. We're far enough into the season that you can make some picks based on results and how teams have looked.

It will be interesting to see how people pick, and how they change over the weeks. You may see how easy it is to move one team up or down, and not budge another team from a different spot who had a similar result, because of what happens to the other teams around thoes 2.

You want to give NU a homer #1 pick? Go ahead. Just don't expect your criticisms of the AP/coaches/other posters picks to merit any attention.

My picks to follow.

1. Alabama - big win over VTech puts them on top

2. Florida - returning champ with lots of starters back, playing well

3. Texas - Strong looking team, obvious talent, good win over TTech

4. LSU - some shaky wins, but played some decent teams.

5. VTech - tough schedule, must dominate ACC to stay in top 5

6. Cincinnati - needs to dominate Big East to stay high

7. USC - lots of talent, loss with backup QB will fade over season if they win out

8. Miami - quality wins, lone loss on road in the rain discounts poor showing somewhat

9. Boise St - good win over Oregon, unimpressive win over UC Davis

10. TCU - Still unbeaten, must dominate MWC to stay in top 10

11. Auburn - unbeaten, still to face meat of SEC

12. Oregon - couple of good wins, lone loss to top 10 team

13. Nebraska - lone loss to top 10 team, played 4 good games, upcoming Missouri game a good yardstick

14. Ohio State - lone loss to top 10 team, terrible opening game holds them back

15. Iowa - unbeaten, but not impressive other than Penn State game

16. Oklahoma State - good win over Georgia

17. Oklahoma - let's see how they look when Bradford is back, this is a reach based on apparent talent and rep

18. South Florida - too much on FSU win?

19. BYU - played OU very well even before Bradford injury

20. Kansas - unbeaten, that's all I can say

21. Penn State - based on rep only

22. Missouri - Illinois win looking less impressive each week

23. South Carolina - inconsistent

24. Georgia Tech - ditto

25. Houston - bad loss, but 2 big wins earlier

I think VA's pretty close for this week. It'll all be different by this time next week. I see LSU, Auburn and Iowa dropping as the weeks go by and as you stated teams that are "crack fillers"....... Mizzou. Oregon or USC drops and maybe a Stanford sneaks up there for awhile. You forgot about Notre Dame? :dunno ... Just kiddin

hahahaha 11-15 13-16??? lmao.. what have we shown this year. that we can beat teams that are d2.. we didnt beat v tech, therefore we have not shown anything yet.

now 22

beat mizz 17

11-15 is way out of sight..

I say we deserve at least high teens right now. Come on, freaken Iowa almost lost to Arkansas St, if that had been us, we would have dropped out of the poles even if we did squeek out a win. I feel we are better than most of us realize and the rest of the season will show that. As I have said before, we will probably be a solid top ten team buy the end of this year if we play the way I think we are capable of. So, 11-15 is in our very near future I hope. It feels good to see Bo and Co. getting this team on the verge of something great. I hope we go into Thursday night with some confidence that this is 2009 and the past is about to be behind us.

hahahaha 11-15 13-16??? lmao.. what have we shown this year. that we can beat teams that are d2.. we didnt beat v tech, therefore we have not shown anything yet.

now 22

beat mizz 17

i hate posts like this!

there are 2 or 3 teams in the country that have "proven" anything! the rest of us, well we have ALL played cupcakes! you act like nebraska is the only team in the country to have played cupcakes!

Everyone does it and there is NO team that deserves to be ranked ahead of us just based off of proving something cuz few have proven anything.

now 22

beat mizz 17

i hate posts like this!

there are 2 or 3 teams in the country that have "proven" anything! the rest of us, well we have ALL played cupcakes! you act like nebraska is the only team in the country to have played cupcakes!

Everyone does it and there is NO team that deserves to be ranked ahead of us just based off of proving something cuz few have proven anything.

ok those other teams that played cupcakes might have also won against a ranked team, we on the other hand didnt. so thats why,. i mean i love nebraska football, i love being one of the only NU fans in my city, but i dnt think we deserve alot of hype, because we havnt proven anything yet.. we played pretty good against vtech but we lost.. if we beat mizz and kansas and ranked teams, win north, then we should be in the 15's or a little better, but now.. absolutely not...

The biggest problem with polls is that people have the same mentality as you, Bosnian Husker. You think that if a team loses, no matter the margin of victory or how they played, that the game they lost is not allowed to be used in determining their talent. We outplayed Virginia Tech on 60 out of 63 plays, so I think that means we are very close to their talent level. Seems logical to me..

The biggest problem with polls is that people have the same mentality as you, Bosnian Husker. You think that if a team loses, no matter the margin of victory or how they played, that the game they lost is not allowed to be used in determining their talent. We outplayed Virginia Tech on 60 out of 63 plays, so I think that means we are very close to their talent level. Seems logical to me..

We were totally shut down in the first quarter, so it's not like we outplayed them for 58 minutes like many are saying. They also outplayed us anytime we got down in the red zone, so that has to mean a lot. Being the better team between the 20s isn't enough.

Anyway, my point of the thread is to try to get people thinking a bit more when they complain about 10 of the top 25 teams being overrated. Somebody has to go in those spots. And also to get them thinking about why a team in one spot moves while another in a different spots don't, if they had similar results or where idle. So much of the polls depend on what goes on with the teams near you. Actually put picks down week to week, and I think many will see they wind up doing exactly what they were complaining that pollsters do.

In my case, I had the Huskers higher than I thought I would, because I was running out of teams in the early teens that had accomplished what we have.

I know that some of my picks won't hold up. For example, I don't believe Iowa is the 15th best team. Most likely they will be at the bottom of the top 25 by the end of the year, if not out of it, but if they wind up winning them all, should I suddenly jump them from 22 to near the top? So I give them some credit for beating Penn St and being unbeaten, and will slide them up or down as rest of the season plays out.

If my poll were being used by the BCS, I would spend more time on it, but I'm not sure how different it would be.