Just a little stat comparison between Gabbert and Lee

For all the bad press they've received, MU's oline has done a solid job protecting Gabbert. Occassionally, he gets happy feet and likes to run... That's just what he prefers. The kids a great athlete. Now, teh run game, our big boys have a few strides to make. But they're no slouches. We have some talented guys just learning how to play with one another.

Sure they have protected Gabbert, but against what? Your opponents have a combined 12 sacks in 13 games. They don't sack anybody. Nebraska has played four games and has 10 sacks. Missouri's opponents have an average of 101st in the nation in Pass Efficiency Defense, meaning everyone is throwing well against them. Combined, Missouri's opponents have five interceptions on the season (13 games). Nebraska has three, including a pick-six, in four games.

Sure, no sacks & no INTs make nice stats, but the pass defenses Missouri has played haven't done well against anyone. Anyone at all.

Well, that may be so. That doesn't nullify the fact that they've been able to protect Blaine pretty darn well, which is what I pointed out.

No doubt we haven't faced any top-25 teams, but Nevada is the only school in the country returning two DE's who finished with double-digit sack numbers last year. Illinois, while a perpetual mess, still has some talent on their defense, as well. Our big boys provided Blaine enough time to pick them both apart. That's what was avialble with most team stacking eight in the box trying to stop our run game.

I think NU will come out trying to get pressure with their front four. I also think MU will run quick routes to minimize pressure by your talented defensive line. Specifically, they'll target the middle of your field with your young linebackers and banged up safeties. Eventually, Bo's bro will dial up an occassional blitz. I'm hoping that's when Blaine hits one of our skilled receivers for the big play.

Actually, those stats do quite a bit to nullify those facts. When you play weak opponents, you should dominate. Unfortunately, Missouri has not bee doing that. With the 85 scholly limit every team in America has talent these days. The SunBelt opponents we played have NFL draft prospects on their rosters, yet we mowed them down like wheat. Having talent doesn't mean much these days when that talent doesn't produce.

This is the second time you've mentioned our "banged up" secondary, but as with the first time, it's important to note that the only guy who won't play this week is a second-stringer. All of our starters are healthy and ready to go. Sure, our LBs are young, and Missouri may be able to take advantage of that. We'll have to see, especially since I think Gabbert will be running often, because we're not going to dial up blitzes later, we're going to run them at him early and often. This is Gabbert's fifth career start, with an O line in front of him that is, as you say, still learning the ropes. Only three of your OL have a season's worth of experience. Nebraska's D Line has more experience than your O Line, and they've sacked better QBs against better lines this year already. I can't imagine Gabbert staying unscathed this game.

For all the bad press they've received, MU's oline has done a solid job protecting Gabbert. Occassionally, he gets happy feet and likes to run... That's just what he prefers. The kids a great athlete. Now, teh run game, our big boys have a few strides to make. But they're no slouches. We have some talented guys just learning how to play with one another.

Sure they have protected Gabbert, but against what? Your opponents have a combined 12 sacks in 13 games. They don't sack anybody. Nebraska has played four games and has 10 sacks. Missouri's opponents have an average of 101st in the nation in Pass Efficiency Defense, meaning everyone is throwing well against them. Combined, Missouri's opponents have five interceptions on the season (13 games). Nebraska has three, including a pick-six, in four games.

Sure, no sacks & no INTs make nice stats, but the pass defenses Missouri has played haven't done well against anyone. Anyone at all.

Well, that may be so. That doesn't nullify the fact that they've been able to protect Blaine pretty darn well, which is what I pointed out.

No doubt we haven't faced any top-25 teams, but Nevada is the only school in the country returning two DE's who finished with double-digit sack numbers last year. Illinois, while a perpetual mess, still has some talent on their defense, as well. Our big boys provided Blaine enough time to pick them both apart. That's what was avialble with most team stacking eight in the box trying to stop our run game.

I think NU will come out trying to get pressure with their front four. I also think MU will run quick routes to minimize pressure by your talented defensive line. Specifically, they'll target the middle of your field with your young linebackers and banged up safeties. Eventually, Bo's bro will dial up an occassional blitz. I'm hoping that's when Blaine hits one of our skilled receivers for the big play.

Actually, those stats do quite a bit to nullify those facts. When you play weak opponents, you should dominate. Unfortunately, Missouri has not bee doing that. With the 85 scholly limit every team in America has talent these days. The SunBelt opponents we played have NFL draft prospects on their rosters, yet we mowed them down like wheat. Having talent doesn't mean much these days when that talent doesn't produce.

This is the second time you've mentioned our "banged up" secondary, but as with the first time, it's important to note that the only guy who won't play this week is a second-stringer. All of our starters are healthy and ready to go. Sure, our LBs are young, and Missouri may be able to take advantage of that. We'll have to see, especially since I think Gabbert will be running often, because we're not going to dial up blitzes later, we're going to run them at him early and often. This is Gabbert's fifth career start, with an O line in front of him that is, as you say, still learning the ropes. Only three of your OL have a season's worth of experience. Nebraska's D Line has more experience than your O Line, and they've sacked better QBs against better lines this year already. I can't imagine Gabbert staying unscathed this game.

I still firmly think comparing what we've done against other teams, especially noncommon opponents, is ridiculous. It really says very little... even less considering it's the beginning of the year. These games are played for a reason--to prepare teams for the conference schedule. I'm confident our boys will play well come kick off Thursday night.

And fair enough. You only have one guy whose banged up, but I was under the impression that he rotated in with regularity. Also, is that not the same secondary that got lit up by Chase last year... as well as many of the same defensive linemen? © Barnes, (LT) Fisher, and (RG) Gregory all have played against you guys and performed well on the Oline. I'm confident they can do so again. If you think the Huskers are going to blitz, I'm lookign forward to seeing our Blaine and our big boys handle it. I think they'll do just fine.

I still firmly think comparing what we've done against other teams, especially noncommon opponents, is ridiculous. It really says very little... even less considering it's the beginning of the year. These games are played for a reason--to prepare teams for the conference schedule. I'm confident our boys will play well come kick off Thursday night.

And fair enough. You only have one guy whose banged up, but I was under the impression that he rotated in with regularity. Also, is that not the same secondary that got lit up by Chase last year... as well as many of the same defensive linemen? © Barnes, (LT) Fisher, and (RG) Gregory all have played against you guys and performed well on the Oline. I'm confident they can do so again. If you think the Huskers are going to blitz, I'm lookign forward to seeing our Blaine and our big boys handle it. I think they'll do just fine.

What's the over/under for completions by Chase against the Huskers on Thursday? I'm also curious about how many touchdowns Maclin and Coffman will have.

Different teams. Different year. They'll figure it out on the field.

I try to steer clear of saying "your opponents vs. our opponents." What I try to do, not so successfully all the time, is show how your opponents played against you vs. how they played against others, and contrast that to how our opponents played against us compared to others. The season as a whole serves as a baseline, and the individual results from their games with you or with us make the pertinent +/- data. It's not a perfect method, but it's probably the best available.

I do think these are the same guys, for the most part, who lined up against you last year. There are two huge differences between 2008 and 2009, though.

1) In 2008 the Huskers were playing what was, for them, a very new defense. They were four games into the process of changing their entire defensive philosophy. On top of that, Bo was a new head coach, and he put in a new, NEW philosophy just for that game. It was, obviously, a disaster. You guys torched us something fierce in a game that was never in doubt. We're a year-plus into the system now, and as we've shown against the first four teams we've played, we have the ability to clamp down on an opponent like we didn't last year. Yeah, we have screwups like the one that cost us the game vs. VA Tech, but they're much, much more rare now than they were then. Yes, your O Line played well last year, but there are a LOT of reasons why that happened, none of which are being repeated this year.

2) Missouri is not close to what they were last year. You guys are breaking in new Offensive and Defensive coordinators (much like we were, at least on defense, last year). There is a lot of thinking before doing going on in Missouri's defense this year that wasn't happening last year, and like Nebraska 2008, that can be dangerous. Then there's the obvious personnel changes - no more Chase Daniel. No more Chase Coffman. No more Jeremy Maclin (who I thought was the best all-purpose WR threat in the Big XII last year, including Crabtree). There simply aren't replacements for these guys. Washington is also not himself this year, for whatever reason. But no matter how good Blaine Gabbert may be in the future, he is not - NOW - anywhere near where Chase Daniel was last year. Not even close. And that's probably the single biggest difference right now.

Missouri may very well win this game. I'm absolutely not guaranteeing a Husker win or anything like that. But I do think Nebraska wins this game.

That's a fair assessment, knapp. And you're right. Maclin, Daniel, and Coffman were special. But I feel like Perry, Alexander, Kemp, and Gabbert are no slouches. We don't need to beat you by 35+ to win. We just need one more point. And these are some talented kids. Kids who I think will do some damage.

Thanks for the fun back and forth. I know you'll take your Huskers in a tight game; I think my Tigers pull it out in a tight game.

That's a fair assessment, knapp. And you're right. Maclin, Daniel, and Coffman were special. But I feel like Perry, Alexander, Kemp, and Gabbert are no slouches. We don't need to beat you by 35+ to win. We just need one more point. And these are some talented kids. Kids who I think will do some damage.

Thanks for the fun back and forth. I know you'll take your Huskers in a tight game; I think my Tigers pull it out in a tight game.

I would like to offer my thanks as well. You're passionate about your team and you're informed, and you're respectful. I hope you feel I've treated your Tigers with as much respect as I feel you've treated my Huskers.

Stick around after the game is over. We could always use more insightful, knowledgeable people on the board.

As far as Gabbert throwing some ill advised passes you have to remember that he also knew who he was playing against and felt comfortable taking a shot at it. The key word was "completion" not interception. Against better competition he may have just ran out of bounds. Then again maybe not. Without a doubt Nebraska will throw a lot of stuff at him but I think Pelini wants to take the run away first even if we're in nickle and dime packages the majority of the night. If Suh and company dominates the line it could be a long night for Gabbert with no respect for any play action. If Nebraska's o line controls the Tiger's d line it could be a short night for Gabbert as he sits and watches. The trenches. That's what makes me think this will not be as close as some think.

I would like to offer my thanks as well. You're passionate about your team and you're informed, and you're respectful. I hope you feel I've treated your Tigers with as much respect as I feel you've treated my Huskers.

Stick around after the game is over. We could always use more insightful, knowledgeable people on the board.

:clap These two posts make me smile. Did I really just read two respectful comments between a Missourian and a Nebraskan?? Amazing! And now for a corndance... :corndance:corndance

There were a couple throws against Nevada he made where I just stared at disbelief on how ugly they were. He ran down to the sideline, and just lobbed up a pass across his body to the other side of the field 40 yards down, and his receiver caught it.

Guess what? Those aren't going to fly when you play Big 12 defenses. Hope he's been taking notes.

lee has made some ugly throws as well

What I noticed is that Gabbert has had to throw a lot more then Lee has to due to the running game. Washington is averaging a little under 80 yards a game. Meanwhile Helu is averaging 116 a game. Also the average ranks of the defense means Lee has done pretty much the same against slightly tougher defenses.

Mainly I was wondering why some people (media) were so in love with Gabbert.

I don't think I've seen any mainstream love for Gabbert (no feature articles in ESPN or anything like that), however, the midwest media outlets are seeing him for the gamer that he is. He's gone into the second half of three ball games either down or with less than a two score lead. How he's reacted to that pressure as a first year starter......is well.......let's just take a look at the numbers:

from cfbstats.com

Situation.......G...Att..Comp...Pct.....Yards....Int...TD..Rating....Long...1st...15+...25+

2nd Half/OT...4....43.....33....76.7.....547.......0.....6...229.64......74.....19....13.....9

I stand corrected. :

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/i...ouris-4-0-start

I've been thinking the exact same thing since last week...

If Gabbert continues to lob passes up in the air, throw across his body, and throw across the field, he is going to get picked off.

Gabbert may get picked off, and may not put up great stats.. but the reason he can throw across his body and off his back foot is the same reason Favre is able to in the NFL. Now let me continue, Gabbert is not NFL ready yet.. geez not even close!... But his arm is in the conversation! The throws he makes are unreal, Daniel never would dream of making some of these throws... I know a strong arm does not necessarily make you a NFL QB... but it gives you a better chance than most!

Good Luck to the Huskers.. much respect for your program..

That's a nice feel-good piece about Gabbert, and some of that praise is well-deserved. The problem I have with this piece, and a LOT of pieces like this about a lot of players across the country, is they do not offer perspective on the opponents these pumped-up players are facing.

Gabbert has yet to face a passing defense ranked in the top 3/4 in the country. Every Missouri opponent is horrible against the pass, with the "best" passing defense they've played ranked 89th out of 120 teams (Bowling Green). For goodness' sake, Gabbert had better have had good numbers against these teams.

There's reason to be excited about Gabbert's future. He has all the tools and size you would want in a good QB. But to this point, he's done nothing against good defenses to warrant such lofty praise.

For the record, Nebraska is ranked 16th in the nation in pass efficiency. We've played only one QB ranked in the top 30 in pass efficiency (Taylor/VT, 27th in the country), and we all know we lost that game due to the big pass play we fell asleep on late in the fourth. It remains to be seen which ranking is more true - Nebraska's pass defense ranking or Missouri's pass offense ranking. This game should go a long way toward answering this question. And even then we'll have to hope for decent passing weather.