Just a little stat comparison between Gabbert and Lee

I got bored earlier so I decided to see how Gabbert and Lee compare. Not a bad 1st post.

Missouri

Gabbert

87 131 66.7%

1161 yards

11 td 0 ints

Derrick Washington HB

301 yards

2 tds

Defensive ranks of opponents

105th Illinois

89th Bowling Green

98th Furman

107th Nevada

Average Rank 99.75th

Nebraska

Lee

68 105 64.8%

927 yards

7 td

3 ints

Roy Helu HB

464 yards

5 tds

Defensive rank of opponents

111th FAU

76th AK State

47th Vtech

82nd ULL

Average Rank 79th

I used cnnsi.com for the stats.

I've been thinking the exact same thing since last week...

If Gabbert continues to lob passes up in the air, throw across his body, and throw across the field, he is going to get picked off.

Yeah, it's only a matter of time before that all catches up with him. You can get lucky every now and again and do that, but not on a consistant basis.

I've been thinking the exact same thing since last week...

If Gabbert continues to lob passes up in the air, throw across his body, and throw across the field, he is going to get picked off.

True. Watching his games, it's just laughable to think that he's being touted - from what he's done on the field to date - as a future NFL star. Several throws he made against Nevada would have been picked off by a competent defense.

We just need to be that competent defense.

I know we all hate BG for switching to MU, but he's not a bad signal caller. Of all the QBs that Callahan tried to get, this one is about the only one worth having. I hope we can get in his head and what not, but I would feel much better about our chances if we could beat him up in Lincoln rather than having him surrounded by the friendly confines there in Columbia.

Several throws he made against Nevada would have been picked off by a competent defense.

Which, if we play like we have been, will happen. Nevada (and every other defense Mizzou faced) just does not have the athletes Nebraska does. Now I'm not saying the NU secondary is full of world beaters, but a perfect example is Asante's pick 6. He made a quick, speedy cut, something I doubt any of the defenses Mizzou faced would have been able to do.

What I noticed is that Gabbert has had to throw a lot more then Lee has to due to the running game. Washington is averaging a little under 80 yards a game. Meanwhile Helu is averaging 116 a game. Also the average ranks of the defense means Lee has done pretty much the same against slightly tougher defenses.

Mainly I was wondering why some people (media) were so in love with Gabbert.

What I noticed is that Gabbert has had to throw a lot more then Lee has to due to the running game. Washington is averaging a little under 80 yards a game. Meanwhile Helu is averaging 116 a game. Also the average ranks of the defense means Lee has done pretty much the same against slightly tougher defenses.

Mainly I was wondering why some people (media) were so in love with Gabbert.

I don't think I've seen any mainstream love for Gabbert (no feature articles in ESPN or anything like that), however, the midwest media outlets are seeing him for the gamer that he is. He's gone into the second half of three ball games either down or with less than a two score lead. How he's reacted to that pressure as a first year starter......is well.......let's just take a look at the numbers:

from cfbstats.com

Situation.......G...Att..Comp...Pct.....Yards....Int...TD..Rating....Long...1st...15+...25+

2nd Half/OT...4....43.....33....76.7.....547.......0.....6...229.64......74.....19....13.....9

True. Watching his games, it's just laughable to think that he's being touted - from what he's done on the field to date - as a future NFL star. Several throws he made against Nevada would have been picked off by a competent defense.

I predict that not only will he go to the NFL, he'll go in the first round, if not the first pick.

I predict that not only will he go to the NFL, he'll go in the first round, if not the first pick.

I don't know that I'd go that far yet. You could be right though. The NFL does seem to place a premium on size and arm strength over production and decision making. (not saying that Gabbert won't be productive or a poor decision maker . . . just am still thinking about Josh Freeman getting drafted early)

Thats a pretty big statement, not saying it isnt true. But if I were to say the same about Cody Green. I would get crucified. I think BG has alot of potential, but i think you might want to wait on the #1 overall pick prediction.

There were a couple throws against Nevada he made where I just stared at disbelief on how ugly they were. He ran down to the sideline, and just lobbed up a pass across his body to the other side of the field 40 yards down, and his receiver caught it.

Guess what? Those aren't going to fly when you play Big 12 defenses. Hope he's been taking notes.